Only You
by:  Kathleen Kalu


Disclaimer:  All the Star Trek characters belong to Paramount Pictures. I'm only borrowing them.
Setting:  Just after that 'turbolift scene' in Starship Down.

Jadzia Dax, Deep Space Nine's Chief Science Officer, rubbed her eyes miserably.  Dr. Julian Bashir, Chief Medical Officer, had been gone the past two weeks, and her life had been a living hell.  She groaned as she saw his ship coming in to dock.  That incident in the turbolift where he confessed he had always fantasized about being alone with her had touched her heart.  Then he leaves for a medical conference two days later.  She hadn't eaten or slept well since.  She glared at the screen in front of her and sighed.  She got up to trudge to the replicator for yet another cup of raktajino.

Captain Benjamin Sisko watched from his office, concern in his eyes.  That had to be her ninth cup today.  He got up to talk to his science officer.  She was no use to the station unless she was in peak performance.  Just as he was coming down the stairs, he saw her begin to sway.  "Dax!" He rushed to catch her,but was too late.  Her head hit the side of her console just as she slipped into black oblivion.

Dax woke up in the Infirmary, alone.  She gingerly touched the hurting spot on her head and winced.  *Ouch.  I need to get out of here.*  She swung her legs over the end of the biobed, her head rattling as she touched the ground.  She paused for a moment to situate herself, then began the laborious journey to the close-yet-oh-so-far door.  After a few steps, she heard feet and mentally groaned.  Julian.

He entered the room and paused,seeing Jadzia standing there in a hospital gown.  She mustered a bright smile, which she hoped didn't look as forced as it was, just to show him how healthy she was.  He grinned and leaned against the doorframe, neatly blocking her path.  Her heart fell, and she suppressed a scowl, instead brightening her smile a few notches.

"Just where do you think you're going, Jadzia?" he asked, tilting his head and crossing his arms.

She narrowed her eyes and took a few more steps to get around him. "I have work to do in my lab."

"Captain Sisko says you passed out today," he said informatively.

"I think I'm aware of that," she replied sarcastically. "Now, if you will excuse me," she took a big step. Bad idea. She felt her head swim and her legs give in.

With lightning reflexes, Julian caught her and carried the limp armful of Trill back to the biobed. He pulled out a tricorder and scanned her.  His brow furrowed and he frowned handsomely. "Jadzia,you're malnutrated, haven't gotten enough sleep, overdosed on caffeine, and haven't gotten any exercise at all.  Now stay still while I run some more tests on you."

She sighed and rested her head back as he tested her for God-knows-what.  He walked back next to her, obviously not happy.  "Jadzia,I leave for two weeks and already you're not eating or sleeping right.  You are on leave until further notice."

"What?"  She glared at him.  "This is ridiculous."

"You're telling me.  Now do you want to tell me what's going on here?" he asked, raising one eyebrow, towering over her.

She glowered and pointedly ignored the question.  "Can I least stay in my quarters?"

"I suppose," he allowed after some thought.  "But I'm walking you there.  Who knows what you'll do, take a break at Quark's?"

She rolled her eyes,then felt a sizzle of pleasure as he put an arm around her waist to help her up. She clutched his shoulder, burying her face in his neck.  His manly aroma awakened her senses considerably.

"I thought I was walking."

"I can't trust you to walk, Jadzia.  You're very weak.  I want you to have a good dinner and take a nice long nap."  He replied as he hefted her up into his arms.

*Oh heaven,* she thought as he carried her out of the Infirmary into the Promenade and into a turbolift.  He must be crazy.  He walked into the Habitat Ring and stopped in front of her quarters.

"Now, Jadzia.  Sit down at the table and I'll get you a nice dinner," he ordered.  She obligingly obeyed and sat primly while he placed a dish of some unknown substance in front of her.

"What's this?"

"Chicken soup.  It's an old Earth remedy.  Try it, I'm sure you'll like it."

She took a reluctant sip and found it much to her liking.  "It's delicious."

He smiled satisfactorily.  "There.  Now you be a good girl and finish your dinner.  I'm heading back to the Infirmary."

She nodded and watched him leave her quarters, a feeling of longing washing over her frail body.

She really did try to do as he requested.  She finished all her soup and showered and changed. But she couldn't sleep.  Every time she closed her eyes, she saw his face there, either working, laughing, or smiling.  It was sweet torture.  She tossed and turned, but couldn't sleep.

In the middle of counting Romulan geese, she heard the hiss of her doors open.  Julian poked his head inside, and smiled softly when he saw her, awake and restless.

"I figured you wouldn't be asleep," he observed.

She gave him a wry grin.  "How'd you guess?"

He seated himself next to her on the bed.  "Want to talk about it?"

"About what?"

"What's been bothering you."

Wouldn't you like to know.  "Er-"

"C'mon Jadzia... I won't tell."

"Oh,hell.  It's man trouble," she admitted.  Part of it is true.

"Maybe I can help.  I am a man," he offered.

*Don't I know it,* she thought.

"Well... I like him a lot, but I'm not sure if he returns the favor."

He thought carefully for a moment.  "I don't see how he can't.  Besides," he added with a lecherous smirk, "what's there not to like?"

She rolled her eyes.  "Julian-"

"All right, all right.  What's his name?"

"Bashir..."

"Well, maybe I can talk to him."

She nearly laughed out loud.  Oh,that was a good one!  "That's all right.  I'm sure I can work it out."

"If you wish.  Anyways, I brought you a alpha-wave inducer.  It should help you sleep."  He pulled the gadget out from behind his back.

"Why, thank you," she replied.  "Why don't you activate it, then you can leave."

"Okay."  He pulled the covers up to her neck and gave her a sweet kiss on the forehead.  "Good night, dear."  He activated the inducer and within seconds she was sleeping peacefully.

"Didn't your mother ever teach you not to stare?"

Jadzia twirled around from the seat she was in.  "Nerys!"

The Bajoran smirked.  "That's me.  Now,what are you staring at?"

"N-nothing," the other stammered.

"I don't think so," her friend answered.  "The Replimat can't be that interesting. Why, of course there's the wall.  Such a marvelous wall.  And Mr.Garak's suit is quite unique.  It had to be that you were staring at.  Or maybe Julian's food.  That sure looks delicious.  Or perhaps it's-"

"Nerys."

"Jadzia.  I know you're in love with Julian."

"Excuse me?"

"Actually, Benjamin and I both have known."

"How long have you known this?!" the Trill demanded.

"Actually, a while after you guys first came to DS9.  We had a bet when you two would get together.  I won.  Benjamin thought you would come to your senses a long time ago."

Jadzia's shoulders drooped as she stared into the depths of her glass of water.  "Thanks a lot."

Kira touched her friend's shoulder.  "Jadzia, you love him.  Why don't you tell him?"

"What if he doesn't love me?"

The major frowned.  "That's silly.  He's been crazy about you since the moment he met you."

"Oh, Nerys-"

"Believe me, Jadzia.  I know."

Dax stared into her friend's eyes, then turned to gaze once more at Julian and Garak.

"Good evening, Jadzia."

"Hello, Julian," she replied, accepting his friendly kiss on the cheek, wishing for more.  She stepped back to let him into her quarters.

"Have you been enjoying yourself here?" he asked, running a tricorder over her.  "You're getting better."

"Actually, I'm just bored to death here. Want to go visit a holosuite?"

The doctor looked skeptical.  "Are you sure you feel up to it?"

"I feel fine, Julian.  Please?"

He paused, then gave in. "All right. What do you have in mind?"

She gave him a mysterious smile. "You'll see."

"This is amazing," Julian gasped.

"Isn't it?  It's part of my home on Trill," she gestured towards the lush grass, rolling hills, blooming flowers, and bright sun.

"This is beautiful, Jadzia.  Absolutely breathtaking."

She cuddled closer to him where they were seated on the grass.  "You should see it at sunset."

He stroked her head lovingly.  "What are we doing here, Jadzia?"

She stiffened.  "What?"

"What are we doing here?"

She looked up and saw him gazing at her intricately. "Say it,Jadzia."

She sat up quickly.  "What are you talking about?"

He looked away.  "Kira told me what you planned to do here.  She told me about the dare she made you take."

What the hell was he talking about?

She stared blankly at him as it all sank in.  Kira!  Of all the nerve!  "Julian, I don't know what you're talking about."

He pushed her away bitterly. "She dared you to take me here to see if I would fall for you if you said you loved me.  I'm not stupid, Jadzia."

Her jaw dropped and fury rushed through her.  She glared at him through a thin mist of tears. "Julian Subatoi Bashir, if you think I'm out to seduce you over some stupid dare with Kira, then you are out of your mind!"

She stood up promptly and brushed the grass off her clothes.  "Damn you, Bashir! Just damn you!" she screamed, the held tears streaming down her cheeks.  "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!"

He watched in silent awe as she ran out of the holosuite,sobbing.  He gritted his teeth and balled his hands into fists.  "God,Kira... I hope Odo is there to protect you," he vowed angrily as he stormed out of the holosuite.

Quark watched Jadzia fly down the stairs, crying like a fallen angel.  Then he saw Bashir thunder down after her, murder in his eyes.  He glanced at Morn.  "Just what the hell do they do in the holosuites?"

"KIRA!!"

Nerys looked up from her console,a smug smile on her face.  "Why yes,Doctor?" she asked sweetly, positively sure her plan for them to get together in the holosuite went perfectly.

Julian walked out of the turbolift furiously.  "That bet was a lie!  You lied to me!"

Her jaw dropped.  Something was definitely wrong.  Bashir was obviously not happy.  "What the hell happened in there?"

"Take a guess, Kira.  Take a guess!"

Kira slapped her commbadge.  "Kira to Dax."

"Nerys,after what you just told Julian,you expect me to talk to you?!" Jadzia's thick-with-tears voice replied.

"Dax-"

"Dax out!"

Julian glowered at Kira.  "Do you realize what you've just done?"

She gaped at him soundlessly.  "I-I was only trying to help!"

He backed her up against a console.  "If you ever interfere in my love life again,Kira... I'll make sure you will regret it.  Very much."

He strode back into the turbolift.  "Habitat Ring," he barked.

Jadzia buried her face in her tear stained pillow.  The hiss of her doors opening made her stiffen. Just who the hell could it be now?

"Jadzia?" a familiar British voice asked.

Julian.  Great.  "Go away, Julian," she ordered, her voice muffled by the pillow.

She felt his hand on her head.  She shook it away.  "I said go away."

"Do you really want me to?"

She flipped over to face him.  "Would I ask you if I didn't want you to?"

He leaned over her.  "Yes," he whispered, his mouth inches from hers.

"Don't you dare kiss me!" she warned.

"And if I do?" he asked, tenderly pressing his lips against her cheek and jawline.

"Then I'll-I'll, oh goodness," she breathed, sinking into the mattress as he crept onto the bed over her.

He nipped her ear, his voice sending ripples of pleasure through her body.  "Jadzia?"

"Yes?" she replied breathlessly.

"Did Kira really make the bet?"

She pushed him away suddenly.  "You bastard!" she hissed.  She moved to get up, but he pushed her back.

"Did she make that bet?" he demanded.

She glowered at him.  "No, she didn't," she answered.  She felt her breath leave her lungs as he savagely pressed his mouth to hers.

She felt herself melt into his lanky body.  "Julian, oh Julian," she murmured over and over.

He buried his face in the hollow in her neck.  "God, Jadzia, I love you," he swore.

She took his face in her two hands and made him look at her.  "Say it again," she begged.

"I love you, Jadzia," he said in between kisses, "now, and forever."  He stopped and looked at her.  "Now say it to me."

"I love you, Julian Bashir. And if you don't make love to me right now, I'll never perform a neural experiment with you again," she teased.

"We can't have that, can we now?" he asked, already peeling off his uniform.

"No, of course not," she agreed playfully, placing a kiss on his solid chest.

"Then I suppose I have no choice but to make love to you then, huh?" he fell on top of her, pinning her underneath him.

She smiled up luminously at him, bringing his mouth down to hers.  "I'll try to make it as easy for you as possible."

Kira entered Sisko's office, a PADD in her hand.  "Here's my report,Captain."

"Thank you, Major."

"By the way, you owe me."

"Excuse me?"

"Computer, locate Dr. Bashir."

"Dr. Bashir is in Commander Dax's quarters."

Sisko raised an eyebrow.  "Good work,Major.  May I ask how you did it?"

The Bajoran grinned.  "Tell me,have you ever seen Dr. Bashir full blown angry and Dax in tears?"

"I don't ever recall so."

"Then take a seat.  You're in for a long story."

Epilogue:

Jadzia smiled up at her husband lovingly, then turned to Kira.  "I suppose I should thank you."

Kira, in her dazzling bridesmaid gown, beamed.  "Don't think of it.  Just promise that if you know someone who loves me, yet I'm totally oblivious to it, you'll tell me."

Jadzia glanced at Odo, who was talking with Julian across the room.  Her heart swelled with love seeing Julian in his tuxedo and she smiled affectionately at him.  Odo followed his gaze and smiled at Jadzia.  Then seeing Kira, he stiffened and gave a small nod and smile to her aswell.

Jadzia glanced at Kira,who was smiling shyly back at Odo.  "I think I just might do that, Major."

Julian looked at Odo.  "Beautiful, isn't she?"

The shapeshifter nodded.  "Yes, she is. You're a very lucky man, Doctor."

"I meant Kira."

Odo froze, then relaxed.  "Yes, I suppose she is too."

Julian was rolling his eyes when he suddenly came up with an idea.  "Odo,there's this holosuite I'd like you and Kira to try."

Odo looked surprised.  "Major Kira and I?"

"Yeah.  It's a very nice holosuite.  Why not try it tonight?"

"I don't do holosuites, Doctor."

"Maybe you'll make an exception this time.  It's absolutely breathtaking.  It's this place on Trill."

"May I have this dance, dear?"  Jadzia appeared at Julian's side.

He smiled.  "Of course."

Jadzia fell into her husband's arms, her wedding dress enveloping them in a white sea.  "I saw you talking to Odo."

"Well, I saw you talking to Kira."

"Do you think they'll get together?"

"I recommended a certain holosuite program for them."

She raised an eyebrow.  "Oooh, how romantic," she giggled as he swung her around.  "Oh look! He's asking her to dance."

They watched silently as the two came together in each other's arms.  "They look good together," Julian commented.

"They do, don't they?"

"Jadzia?"

"Hmm?"

"Say it to me again."

She sighed, "I love you, Julian."

He pulled her close and kissed her.  "And I love you, Jadzia.  Only you."

THE END


Send all comments to Kathleen at LdYdVnTy@AOL.com