Anyone of Us

 

 

Disclaimer: I don’t own the characters in this story, they are owned by Bright Kauffman and Crane Productions. Their use is merely for pleasure, not for profit. I also don’t own the song ‘Anyone of Us (Stupid Mistake)’ sung by Gareth Gates, written by Elofsson, Magnusson and Kreuger.

 

 

I’ve been letting you down, down

Girl I know I’ve been such a fool

Giving into temptation

When I should’ve played it cool

 

I can’t believe it. I mean, oh my God. I slept with her, for crying out loud. How could I have done that? And now Rachel wants me back? What, what, how, am I gonna deal with this? I can’t. I accused her of cheating on me, and then I go and sleep with the girl that most of the guys in NYC fantasize about? Chloe. Oh God, I’ve gotta get her out of the apartment, I’ve gotta think about this. Rachel’s coming over, Chloe’s gotta go, then I can see Rachel, and everything will be fine. I think.

 

The situation got out of hand

I hope you understand

 

It’s ok. She doesn’t know, we’re fine. We’re back together. But I don’t see how I can carry on like this. I mean, y’know, I feel so guilty. I didn’t just think about having sex with Chloe, I didn’t just kiss her; I made love to her, all night long, and I enjoyed it. And even though I was drunk, it was, it was unforgivable. If I tell Rachel, then that would be better than if she heard it from, say, Joey. Or if Chloe told Isaac who told Jasmine who told Phoebe who told Rachel. She’s gotta thank me for being honest, right?

 

It could happen to…

Anyone of us, anyone you think of

Anyone can fall

Anyone can hurt someone they love

Hearts will break

’Cause I made a stupid mistake

 

Gunther told her. Now I’m in trouble. “Rachel…” She just glares at me. I know I’ve got some serious penance to do here. Back at her apartment, there’s one thing we’ve got to do. Talk. We need to go through the problems, work it out, and then we can get back to normal. It’s possible, I’m sure it is. And even if we’re not back to normal, we’ll be together, and that’s all that counts. I love her, she loves me. We’re gonna be okay.

 

It can happen to…

Anyone of us, say you will forgive me

Anyone can fail

Say you will believe me

I can’t take – my heart will break

’Cause I made a stupid mistake

A stupid mistake

 

Everything she says digs into me, makes me feel like dirt. It wouldn’t be so bad if she was making it up, but it’s true, and the truth hurts. But one thing really gets me. “Would you forgive me if I slept with Mark?” Yes, of course. But could I? If I knew that she’d been there, making mad, passionate love to him, all night long, if I knew that their hot, sweaty bodies had… I couldn’t. So why should she feel any differently? I hate myself.

 

She was kind of exciting

A little crazy I should have known

She must have altered my senses

’Cause I offered to walk her home

 

Chloe came on to me; I didn’t know what I was doing. I should have stopped her, I know, but oh, it’s too late now. Chandler and Joey should have stopped me; they saw what was happening, someone should have done something to stop me from ruining my life. I was vulnerable and Chloe took advantage.

 

The situation got out of hand

I hope you understand

 

But was it so wrong? We were on a break; I had thought Rachel was with Mark, having sex, doing it, making love, whatever. I was sure our relationship was dead. “Well, you sure had a helluva time at the wake!” Rachel yells. That’s not what I meant. I’d never soberly hurt her; she’s the love of my life. I did everything to stop her from finding out… that sounds better in my head. But then, what can I say? I’ve tried “sorry”, and she doesn’t respond. Ohh…

 

It could happen to…

Anyone of us, anyone you think of

Anyone can fall

Anyone can hurt someone they love

Hearts will break

’Cause I made a stupid mistake

 

It’s Rachel. I would forgive her anything. Why can’t she forgive me this? She wants to order pizza, but not for forgiveness. She just wants pizza, she wants to annoy me, anchovies, I hate anchovies. And she’s throwing stuff back in my face. I offer her the last slice of pizza. “I should think so. You slept with someone,” she retorts. How can I get through to her? We’re Ross and Rachel, it’s gotta work!

 

It can happen to…

Anyone of us, say you will forgive me

Anyone can fail

Say you will believe me

I can’t take – my heart will break

’Cause I made a stupid mistake

A stupid mistake

 

Ignoring me. It’s childish, but she can do what she wants. At least she didn’t sleep with someone. How crazy was I? How could I have done it? But, she, she wanted the break. How was I meant to know that it wasn’t forever? But this, this is just a little argument. One day, we’ll tell our grandkids about the time that Grandpa and Grandma had a big fight but made up, and all lived happily ever after. We can work on this. We can fight for our relationship. I can’t let us throw this away, just because of one obstacle.

 

A stupid mistake

She means nothing to me

Nothing to me

I swear every word is true

I don’t wanna lose you

 

I kiss her. She doesn’t push away, until I get to her lips. “You can’t just kiss me and think you’re gonna make it all go away, okay?”

 

It could happen to…

Anyone of us, anyone you think of

Anyone can fall

 

“I think you should go.”

 

Anyone can hurt someone they love

Hearts will break

’Cause I made a stupid mistake

It can happen to…

Anyone of us, say you will forgive me

 

I haven’t heard her right. She can’t mean that. How could she? I still love her, she’s my life! I need her to be with me, I couldn’t live without her. Without her, my life is nothing. I spent so long wanting her, I’ve screwed it up so badly, she’s my soulmate, my lobster, oh, she’s Rachel. I need her, I need every part of her, I’m not real without her. She makes me whole. This morning, when she said that we could work through anything, oh, that was the Rachel I needed. Now she says it’s over. She means our relationship, but she might as well mean my life.

 

Anyone can fail

Say you will believe me

 

“This can’t be it.”

 

I can’t take – my heart will break

’Cause I made a stupid mistake

 

“Then how come it is?”

 

A stupid mistake…