All LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, LEGIONNAIRES and related characters, elements, logos, symbols, etc. are copyrights, trademarks, and owned by DC COMICS and used without permission. This site is not used to make a profit for myself, rather it's purpose is to attract more people to the great comics of DC COMICS.


THE WAY TO A CARGGITE'S HEART...

A story by Mark Weisenberger

 

Monstress walked into the Legion cafeteria. She saw Chuck Taine sitting at the counter drowning his sorrows in a hot fudge sundae, with extra fudge. "Hey Tenzil," Monstress said, "What's wrong with Chuck?"

"He's depressed because Triad dumped him for Superboy," Tenzil replied.

"Dumped him? I wasn't aware that Chuck and Lu were a couple"

"Well they weren't officially a couple," Tenzil explained, "but they had been going out for about six months. It never really got past the friend stage due to the fact that not all of Triads bodies were interested in him."

"Poor baby," said Monsteress, "perhaps I can cheer him up."

"You're welcome to try. I've been trying all day. Tried some of my best material, and I couldn't even get him to crack a smile."

Monstress walked over to Chuck, who hadn't heard anything of Monsteress' conversation with Tenzil. "Hiya Cutie! How's it going?"

Chuck shot her an unhappy glare.

"Sorry," she apologized. "I heard about Triad. Are you okay?"

"No, I'm not. When Lu first asked me out, I couldn't believe it. She was so beautiful, and no beautiful girl had ever expressed an interest in me before. Grief, no girl had ever expressed an interest in me before. And then when I found out about the alternate versions of us, I was so excited. I felt that she was the one, my destiny, the one I was meant to be with for the rest of my life. Then Superboy shows up and she drops me like a hot potato."

"Like a what?"

"Sorry, it's an old earth expression."

"Well if she is your destiny, perhaps you shouldn't give up so easy."

"What do you mean?"

"Fight for her, try to win her back!"

"How can I compete with Superboy?"

"Maybe you can make her jealous?"

"Huh?"

"She is the one who asked you out right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, she obviously is at least partially attracted to you, or she never would have asked you out. If you start going out with someone else, perhaps her feelings for you would resurface and she would dump Superboy for you."

"You think so?" asked Chuck.

"You never know until you try!"

"Alright, so who should I go out with?"

"I'm available," she said with a huge grin on her face.

Superboy and Triad walked down the corridor, holding each other's hands. Suddenly the ground shook. Superboy ducked into a doorway cause he thought it was an earthquake, Lu on the other hand knew better.

"Hi Monstress, what's up."

"Well Triad," the tall green legionnaire said, "I was just wondering what you and Superboy were doing on Friday night."

"I don't think we have anything planned, why do you ask?" said Triad.

"Chuck and I are going out and I was looking for someone to double with."

"You and Chuck?" said Superboy, "That's great! We'd love to go!"

"Great, it's a date. I'll go tell Chuck!" Monstress ran down the hall

Triad hit Superboy on the arm.

"Hey, what was that for?" Superboy asked.

"We should have talked about it before you agreed to the double date," Triad yelled.

"What! Don't you like Monstress and Chuck?"

"That's just it! Chuck and I used to date. Don't you think a double date would be a little awkward?"

"Well if he's dating Monstress now, isn't that a sign that he's gotten over you?"

"Maybe I'm not over him yet," Triad said quietly. Suddenly Triad triplicated, seemingly as a sort of a reflex action.

"Speak for you're self Triad," Triad Purple said, pointing her index finger at Triad Neutral. "I was never attracted to that fat tub o' lard! You were the only one who liked him!"

"Actually," Triad Orange quietly said, "I thought Chuck was rather sweet."

"But you weren't in love with him…You were in love with M'Onel," accused Triad Purple.

"Do you really think this is a conversation we should be having in front of Superboy," said Triad Neutral, but as soon as she said it all three of them noticed that Superboy had left.

Superboy walked into the cafeteria and sat down at the counter. "Gimme a double chocolate fudge sundae with extra fudge," he said to the Bismolian behind the counter.

Tenzil raised one eyebrow. "Having Carggite troubles?" he asked.

"How did you…?"

"I think it's catching," Tenzil said, pointing at Chuck who was sitting at a table.

"Maybe I should go talk to him," Superboy said as he walked over to Chuck. "Hi Chuck. Can I sit down?"

"Um, sure," said Chuck.

"Look," said Superboy, sitting down, "I'm sorry about stealing Lu from you."

Chuck shot him a dirty look.

"Okay, maybe I could have thought that out before I said it."

"You think?" Chuck said bitterly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you and Lu had a thing. I'm new to this century and she didn't tell me you two were involved when I showed up expressing interest in her. If it's any consolation, she does still have feelings for you."

"But not all of her feels that way," Chuck said. "I was well aware of the fact that only part of her was attracted to me. I mean most of my dates were with just Triad neutral. But all of her seems to like you."

"Chuck, Lu and I just had a fight. I'm having trouble dealing with a girl with three separate personalities. I'm thinking of leaving and going back to the 20th century."

Chuck put his hand on Superboy's shoulder. "No, don't. I can't say that I haven't wished you'd go away, but you make Lu happy, all of her. The best I could hope for is making two thirds of her happy. Stay with her, you two may be meant to be together."

"Thanks Chuck," said Superboy as he left to go make up with Triad.

Monstress, who had witnessed most of the conversation, walked over to Chuck and sat down next to him. "Why'd you do that? He was about to leave; you could have had Lu all to your self. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"It was," replied Chuck, "but I realized something over the past few days."

"What's that?"

"That perhaps I wasn't meant to be with Lu," he said holding Monstress' hand, "maybe my destiny lies with someone else." Chuck stood up and kissed Monstress full on the lips.

"Good, my plan worked," she said, and kissed him back.


Back to Fan Fiction Back to the Menu


All text copyright© Nik Stanosheck, 1998. This page and all herein may not be used by others without the express and written consent of the owner of this site.