PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE 1. Quest "I'm leaving Sanctuary tomorrow morning." Aiolia twisted a little to peer at Marin. Her marble-white mask did not reveal anything. "Leaving? Where?" They were sitting on the steps leading to the Leo Temple. The late afternoon sun was touching the far horizon, and Sanctuary was bathed in mellow orange. All was quiet in the Twelve Gold Temples. Marin had come a while ago and asked Aiolia if he would have a talk with her. He had agreed. But so far all they did was sit side by side on the steps, saying little. Aiolia felt like a teenager on a first date. And now Marin told him she was going to leave. "Japan," she said. "To look for my brother." That reminded Aiolia she had discovered Seika for Seiya. Up until then, everybody had thought Marin was Seiya's real sister. "Your brother?" he echoed. "I thought you went to Sanctuary in the first place because you were looking for him here?" She drew up her knees and linked her arms across them, her face tilted up a bit. To Aiolia she seemed very young, doing that. "No, it's not how it was. It's the story I requested the Pope to tell everyone. I didn't forget anything from my past. I chose to ignore it. That way I could be a Saint with no memories to slow me down. I simply wanted to turn over a new leaf. But this past couple of days I've been thinking. I'm planning to see my family, to assure myself they're all right. After that, I'll return here. My place is in Sanctuary - I took my vow and I would never go back on it. I'm sorry, am I talking too much?" Aiolia smiled. She was never a talker, and listening to her open up was a rare occasion. "No, you're not. Go ahead." "As I was saying, I'll leave first thing tomorrow. I just have to tell you first." "In case I wonder where you might have gone to?" "I do that all the time, don't I? Missing for days without telling anybody where I am?" "You usually have good reason to be missing. Anyway how long are you going to be in Japan?" "Not very long, I hope." "Are you going to see Seiya?" When she shook her head, he frowned. "Why not? He'd want to meet you, I reckon. He still owes you thanks for finding his sister." "I don't need thanks. He would have done the same for me. All his life he's been searching for her, only he didn't have the time. So I did the searching for him." Marin rose gracefully to her feet, brushing dust off her leggings. "So, see you again. And say hello to Aiolos." "I will." He watched as she descended the steps, her brisk gait a reflection of her no-nonsense self. Then he got up and entered his Temple. The sky over Athens was blue and crisp this morning, which Marin took as a good omen. A pleasant start, at any rate. She slung her bag over her shoulder and began to walk. What will I find in Japan? she thought. For that matter, will I find anything at all? Everybody I used to know could be dead right now, or they may forget me. It's a wild goose chase - but I've got to do it. I have to at least know. "Leaving already?" "Good morning, Aiolia," she replied, not bothering to look. "What are you doing here?" He fell into step beside her. He was clad in a simple earth-brown tunic whose color matched that of his hair. They weaved their way through a market amidst stalls, shouting vendors and buyers laden with shopping baskets. No one paid them much attention. "I'm walking you to the dock, if you don't mind." "I don't. Thank you." They were silent, busy with their own private musings. Somewhere a housewife and a grocer were haggling back and forth, and a butcher advertised his merchandise at the top of his lungs. "Do you still remember where your folks used to live?" Marin glanced at him, surprised. "You're worried I'll get lost or something?" A little boy ran from the opposite direction and into her. He mumbled an apology then shot away, giggling. Aiolia's eyes followed the boy idly. "I just don't want you to be disappointed." "If I know anything at all about my folks, I won't call it too disappointing." "What if you don't find them? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be nosy but there is that risk. Isn't it better to leave things well enough alone?" "I'm grateful for your concern, Aiolia, but I need to know. It doesn't really matter what I find or don't find, as long as I have tried." "You're not going to go around wearing that mask, are you?" That brought a small smile which he could not see. "Of course not. I'll draw a crowd. I'll take it off and maybe put on a wig. Flaming red hair tends to attract people as much as a mask." "I wish I could see you." "Why? For all you know I may be ugly enough to stop a clock, as the saying goes." Aiolia laughed. "I don't believe that. It appears to me that one of the conditions a female Saint has to fulfill is being beautiful. Look at Shaina, for instance." "Do you like her?" she said levelly. "If you ask if I have strong feelings for her, no. She's got a strong spirit and all that but she's not for me. Besides, she's set her eyes on Seiya. I wonder what she sees in him?" "Don't be gossipy, Aiolia. It doesn't suit you." "You're right." They had gone past the market and the dock was now visible in the distance. "Is there any ship heading for Japan at this hour?" "There is. I checked yesterday." She came to a halt. "Thanks for walking me this far." "You're welcome." An awkward pause fell. "What, er, what will you do once you have discovered your family?" "I don't know. But I won't be staying long in Japan. I'm a Saint now, and I belong here in Sanctuary. This is my home now." Aiolia cleared his throat. "I wish you luck. Take care, Marin." "You too, Aiolia." He watched as she approached the harbor master and talked to him. At length he waved at a nearby ship. He yelled something at the crews and they yelled back. Marin nodded at the harbor master and ran for the ship. Will she ever meet her folks? Aiolia thought. I hope she will. I hope I could be there with her. But I'm needed here, and Marin wouldn't like to have me along anyhow. She's an extraordinary woman. Do many people know it? He folded his arms across his chest, his eyes trained on the ship, which was leaving. There was a person leaning on the railing and gazing out to sea. He wondered if it was Marin, and what she had on her mind. He wondered if her family was out there, if they still remembered her. 2. Family The train was almost empty, which was how she liked it. Marin took a seat near the window. A young man was reading across the aisle. He threw her a glance as she sat down. Outside it was still broad daylight. The journey would take five hours, since this was a regular train and not the superfast Shinkansen. She would reach her village come dark. She wondered if she could still find her way around. It had been many years since she last saw the village. Looking out of the window, Marin immediately saw her own vague image on the glass. It was like staring into a stranger's face. The Aquila Saint that ordinarily returned her stare from the mirror was a redhead with a white mask. The woman on the train window had long black hair - she had purchased the wig yesterday - and large blue eyes that had nothing Japanese in them. Her mouth was small and rosebudlike. I'm not supposed to take off my mask, she thought. But I'm not here as a Saint. So I suppose it's all right. Even if I ran across Seiya on the street he wouldn't recognize me. Seiya...what is he doing now? Sharing recollections with his sister, or probably facing yet another enemy? She leaned back, one hand around her handbag, deciding to take a short nap for an hour or two. "Excuse me, Miss, where are you going?" Eyebrow twitching, Marin turned her head. It was the man across the aisle who had addressed her. What does he want? she asked herself. I hope he doesn't want to chat, because I definitely don't feel like it right now. She mentioned the name of her village in a curt tone to indicate that she was in no mood to talk. "Oh, what a coincidence! That's where I'm heading too. You speak Japanese quite well, though you look like a foreigner. Are you visiting relatives there or friends?" The man wore simple but neat clothes, and he had a frank, amiable face. She sighed inwardly. Obviously the man would not leave her alone. The best she could do was not encourage him to longer conversations. "I don't even know if they are still there," she replied flatly. "I left a long time ago." "What's their name? I can tell you if they've moved." "You're very nice," she said, "but I have been warned against talking much to strangers. Besides, I'm tired. Please don't take offense." The man blinked, then smiled. "How rude of me. If you need help, don't hesitate to say so. I'll be glad to assist you." "Thank you." Marin closed her eyes, ready to sleep. She could sense the man's still curious eyes on her, but could not care less. Let him stare. As long as he was not about to rape or murder her, he could do as he liked. "Are you sure you have no luggage I can carry for you?" the man asked as they got off on the silent train station. It was so small that it could be described as a depot. Night had fallen, and stars dotted the sky. The man carried a regular-sized trunk himself. Great, now he wanted to play porter. "No, thanks. I only have this small handbag with me." Which should give him second thoughts, if he was bent on robbing her. But then, she was not being fair. The man might only be glad to have company and he was naturally a helpful person. She had spent too much time with people who had things up their sleeves, it appeared. The man was looking to the right and left. "There should be a bus at this time of night. It's an hour's walk to the village." "If there's no bus, I can walk." He gazed at her, and his open shock amused her. "A lady walking alone for an hour at night?" You might be astounded, my friend, if I told you I've gone through the most unladylike things, a walk in the night being the least of them. "What do we do, then?" She included him because she knew he was not going to abandon her here in the station. The man was nothing if not a gentleman. As is Aiolia, her heart amended. Funny I should be thinking of Aiolia. But maybe it isn't so weird. After all we're good friends. Abruptly the man's face cleared and he pointed. "Look! I think it's my uncle's car! He's coming to pick me up. I'll give you a ride, then." He seemed so relieved that she would not have to walk to the village or spend the night at the station. Marin had to admit it was sort of nice to have a kind stranger nearby. A car was materializing out of the darkness. Marin's heart skipped a beat. She knew that car - or used to. It was the car that had taken her to this very station more than a decade ago, so that she could board a train to Tokyo and to the airport, thence to leave Japan for good. The car was almost the same as she remembered it: moss green with a dent in the front bumper, a souvenir from a collision course with a bakery truck. She watched as the car lumbered near. Her eyes shifted to the young man, who was looking at the car eagerly. He says that it's his uncle's car, she thought, her heart missing another beat. Could it be that he is - ? The car slowed down to a halt. An elderly man exited from the driver's side. He saw her and his face froze. Marin clutched tighter at her handbag. His face did not change much except for the additional wrinkles. "Hello, Uncle," she said in an even voice. The young man stared, and, had it not been impolite, Marin was certain he would have goggled at her. "Uncle...?" "Hello, Misaki," the elderly man said dryly. His eyes probed into her, and she returned his stare unblinkingly. She was a grown woman now and she had no reason to fear him as she had all those years ago. "It's been a long time." Marin had not heard her real name spoken for many years, and hearing it again gave this meeting a surreal touch. "Can somebody please tell me what's going on here?" the young man demanded, looking from Marin to his uncle. The elderly man finally deigned to notice his nephew. "Kyoji, say hello to your elder sister." The journey home was fraught with uncomfortable silence. Kyoji sat in the front next to his uncle, refusing to meet anyone's eye. Marin spent her time staring at the darkness outside. Their uncle drove on, his expression stony. Eventually he said, "Kyoji, your mother will be very happy to see you." Which indicates she won't be happy to see me, Marin guessed. "I miss her," Kyoji said quietly, Marin supposed due to her presence. "How many days off do you have? Are you staying for long?" "Only for three days. The company's got a heap of orders and they need all the help they can get. Since I'm hoping to get a promotion, I want to get back there as soon as possible. Uncle Takafumi, is she well?" "Oh, yes. She is. Now." "Are you implying, Uncle, that she'll get a heart attack if I show up at the door?" Marin spoke up. Takafumi threw a caustic glance over his shoulder before returning his concentration on the road before them. "What are you doing here, Misaki? We thought you and your father would be happy wherever it was you ran off to." Despite herself, Marin felt her blood rise. "Father didn't run off," she stated. "He couldn't stand you and Grandfather, so he went away." "Was I supposed to put up with him, then? By the way, did you dye your hair or something?" Marin peeled the wig off her head. Kyoji's eyes went wide as though she had begun undressing. "I still keep my hair," said Marin, shaking her fiery curls, "which is more than I can say of you, Uncle." Takafumi snorted. "You'll lose yours too one day. So, would you care to tell us where you have been all these years? Why isn't your father coming back with you?" "He died. Lung cancer." Ignoring Takafumi's surprised look, Marin continued, "We were in Greece then. There's this place called Sanctuary there. I went there and got my training as a Saint of Athena. Athena's Saints are - " "I know what they are," Takafumi interrupted. "We're not so buried here that we don't know what's happening out there." He swerved around a treacherous bend. "So you are a Saint now? From what I heard these people do nothing but kill others in the name of some dead goddess." Marin wanted to refute, then thought better of it. "Have it your way, Uncle." She stole a glimpse at Kyoji, who stoutly refused to join the conversation. "What's your name now? Some Saints have such odd names. Those couldn't be the names they were born with." "You can still call me Misaki." Kyoji, who had been hitherto keeping his peace, blurted out, "You still haven't answered Uncle yet - what are you doing here?" There was dislike and something else in his tone which Marin could not identify. "I want to visit you one last time. After that I'll be out of your life for good. Aren't you happy to know it, Uncle?" "You're getting more and more like your father." The car's lights fell brightly on a house several meters away. There was a heaviness in Marin's chest that made it ache. Her eyes were riveted on the house as it grew bigger and nearer. A silhouetted figure stood on the doorway. Mother, Marin thought, heart hammering against her ribcage. I'm going to see Mother again. And I'm scared, very scared. Why should I be? Am I scared she'll turn away from me? That's no big deal. I'll leave early tomorrow in any case. It's as simple as that. Takafumi killed the engine and got out, followed by Kyoji. The silhouette became a woman in green, who cried out, "Kyoji-chan!" and hurried over to him. He hugged her, having to stoop in the process. Marin climbed out of the back seat. "Hello, Mother." The woman released Kyoji and stared at her. "Misaki?" Her voice was full of doubts. "It's me, Mother." More words were not necessary. Marin made her message clear; her mother could either welcome her or give her the cold shoulder. Either way she would accept it. Her mother looked at her for what seemed like minutes. At length she said, "Come on in." She swung around and entered the house, her steps a little too fast, thought Marin. Takafumi and Kyoji went after her and Marin gripped her handbag's strings. Whatever would be, would be. Inside it was warm and well-lit. Marin saw that a few pieces of furniture were still where they had been when she left, and some had been replaced by newer ones. Takafumi took off his parka jacket and Kyoji put his trunk on the floor. "Chiharu, is dinner ready yet? I'm starving," said Takafumi to his sister, who was watching them wordlessly. "It is. This way." At least they're not letting me starve, Marin said to herself. The food was excellently cooked, but the atmosphere was uneasy. Takafumi ate with his back rigid, addressing no one. Kyoji appeared to find it hard to swallow. Marin, having little if any qualms, was determined to enjoy the meal. These people acted as if she were a criminal. Well, she was not, so she would not put up with their disregard and hostility. Besides, she had not had such a luxurious dinner since she became a Saint. This might be her finest one so far. "Misaki." She raised her face from her plate. Her mother was staring at her intensely and Marin put down her chopsticks. "Yes?" "Where is your father?" "He's dead," said Takafumi before Marin could answer. "And she's now one of those Saints. You know those, Chiharu. Some of them fought in a competition in Tokyo a few years ago." "That's true," Marin said, secretly annoyed at the careless manner with which Takafumi delivered the news. "I live in Sanctuary, Greece, now. I've been pretty busy, so I could only visit you today. Are you doing fine, Mother?" "As fine as a husbandless woman could be." Takafumi helped himself to more fried spiced noodles. Kyoji went a shade of white. Marin swiftly said, "I apologize for my father - is that what you all want to hear? Okay then, I'm sorry. Mother, Father didn't walk out on you as some would have you believe. He just felt he had to go, to be somewhere else. And he couldn't have abandoned me. I'm sorry. I apologize to you in his behalf." She took a deep bow. WWhen she straightened up, she saw tears course down Chiharu's cheeks. She saw Marin's look and wiped her eyes. "Misaki-chan, you are here," she said in a whisper. "And I couldn't ask more than that. I understand why your father did what he did. I have forgiven him for leaving...but not for taking you along with him." Takafumi was about to retort, changed his mind, and resumed eating. Marin dropped her eyes to her food, a trifle confused. She had expected anything but this. Never mind, she would be gone soon. Fighting off enemies suddenly appeared as a more interesting option. Living in Athens, a city near the sea, had accustomed her to degrees of heat, from mild warmth to sweltering hot weather. But here it was very different. The village was located at the foot of a mountain, and not acquainted with high temperature. It was perpetually, soothingly cool, more so at night. The mountain loomed in the darkness before her as Marin sauntered out the front door, hands in her pocket. The sight of it brought back many memories from childhood. She remembered spending the day there with Kyoji, playing hide and seek until dark, and their parents had to go look for them. Once at home they got a scolding and admonissions not to do it ever again, did they want to get lost? Kyoji had been repentant but Marin had not. She simply laughed her parents' anxiety away. "Aren't you cold out there?" It was Kyoji's voice, speaking from the doorway. Marin did not turn around. She kept gazing at the mountain. "Do you remember the time we went to the mountain and didn't even realize when the sun set? I scraped my knee and you almost sprained your ankle, falling down a boulder." There was a heavy pause. "Yes, Misaki was never frightened of anything. She was a brave girl, Misaki was. Too bad she's gone and never returned." His quiet vehemence made her look over her shoulder. His face was devoid of emotion. "Hate me that much, do you?" "Why do you come back at all? Why don't you just leave us be?" "What do you know, Kyoji? What's the reason of Father's leaving?" "He hates Uncle. So he left. But he had to take you along." Marin had not forgotten the day: Takafumi had driven her and her father to the station, she full of bewilderment and grief, her uncle tense, her father pale. She had not forgotten either how her little brother had cried when they left. "Kyoji, Uncle never did accept Father as his brother-in-law. He didn't like it that Mother married a penniless foreigner. There were a lot of quarrels between them, didn't you know? So Father decided to go. With me. Because I looked so much like him and he didn't want Uncle to make things difficult for me just because of my hair and eyes." She could feel Kyoji's glance flitting over her red hair. "Father was only thinking about himself," he stated. "Mother wept almost every night after he took you away. Obviously he didn't know or didn't care that you were her daughter as much as his." "That is unfair. What could he have done, bring you and Mother along? She wouldn't have been able to stand that. You have to learn to live with it." "Easy for you to say." "You think Father wanted to dump Mother and you, is that it?" Marin was exasperated with her brother's stubbornness. Why could he not at least try to see both sides of the story? "Well, he didn't. Leaving you two behind was the hardest thing he had to do. The hardest thing for me to do, as a matter of fact. And when he died, I wanted to die myself. Yes, I did, I am not being melodramatic here. I was very young, stranded in a country where I knew not a single soul, and I had nobody. So when I became a Saint, I put all that behind. From then on I would live as Saint Aquila Marin, period. Misaki is dead along with her father." A corner of Kyoji's mouth twisted. "How convenient to have her resurrected and come visiting." "Kyoji, if you are going to be sarcastic I'm going in. I see we're getting nowhere in this discussion." She made to brush past him into the house. His taut voice arrested her progress. "What about me, didn't you have any objection leaving me behind?" Astonished, she stared at him. "Is that what this is all about?" But of course, murmured something at the back of her brain. He loved you a lot, you were the whole world to him. Have years of Sainthood made it slip your mind? He followed you everywhere. He played whatever games you wanted to. He waited for you to get well when you fell ill. He said when he grew up he would see to it that you and Mother would always be safe, maybe even rich. How you giggled at that one. The image of herself at five giggling with her little brother jarred on her. She had never fully known the impact of her leaving for Kyoji. Now she did. He had seen her leaving as a betrayal. Childhood scars never entirely healed, only hidden. Especially for her tender-hearted young brother. "Kyoji-chan..." she began, awkwardly. "It's late. I'm going to bed." Without another word he ascended the stairs. She stared after him. The night was suddenly, unpleasantly cold. Just like he had years ago, Takafumi drove her to the train station after they had breakfast. Chiharu had been tearful but showed no intention of detaining Marin. Of Kyoji there was no sign. Marin felt a pang of sadness; she would have liked to say proper goodbye to him. But since he clearly did not want to see her, she did not comment on his absence. "Uncle," she said on the car, "how did my parents meet exactly?" He shot her a curious glance. "Didn't your father ever tell you?" "Not in details. He just mentioned once that he fell in love with her at first sight, and that you and Grandfather were against the match, simply because he was a foreigner." "Misaki, marrying your father did nothing but complicate your mother's life. You had to understand that. She is a woman who wants only the simplest things in life. Being your father's wife won't give her that. I had no personal reason to hate your father, he was a fine man. I just wished he had been a Japanese. Sure, he could have brought your mother away from this village, but it would make her very unhappy. She was born here - this was and always will be her true home. But having a foreign husband has made her an object of much attention - and envy - of many people." Takafumi sighed. "It's all so complex. If only I could explain it better." Marin fingered strands of black hair spread on her shoulder; she had donned her wig again to avoid being conspicuous. "He told me he couldn't stand the way you and Grandfather treated him." "Oh, so I'm the scapegoat. It's all right." Takafumi kept his eyes on the road as he spoke. "Your father was one of those people who felt they could belong anywhere their hearts tell them to. He was on a trip to Japan when he met your mother. After that, they were inseparable. But your grandfather and I weren't very keen on having him as an in-law. So he went away. Too bad he died and you had to become a Saint. Not a very fruitful life, if you ask me." She thought of Seiya, the best pupil a Saint could have, and Athena, whom she had sworn to defend unto death. And Aiolia. The small train station was as deserted as it had been the night before. A light drizzle was falling. Takafumi glanced at his watch. "We still have ten minutes. If the train is on time." "Is it famous for being not on time?" Marin patted her modest handbag. She had bought it before she boarded the train yesterday, for appearance's sake, and she meant to discard it when she reached Tokyo. Takafumi snorted. "No, I was just making small talk. Misaki, are you sure this is to be your last visit?" "Why, Uncle, will you miss me?" "Your mother will." Marin was silent for a while. From the tail of her eye she caught a bus approaching. "I think it will benefit us more if we go our separate ways. So much has changed. I'll try to write sometime if that'll make Mother happy." The bus pulled to a stop outside the station. Her uncle shook his head. "I see you're your father's daughter in every way." "Neesan!" Heart leaping to her throat, Marin whirled around. Kyoji was alighting from the bus and hurrying toward her. "Kyoji?" was all she could come up with. "I thought you'd left." Suddenly she found herself in the circle of his arms. "Neesan, farewell. I didn't say it before, so I'm saying it now. May you be happy with the choice you've made." Marin was completely taken aback, but her astonishment was almost overwhelmed by a strong flood of emotion very much like tenderness. "Why the change of attitude? Last night you weren't half as friendly." "Let's just say Mother talked me out of my mood. You are my sister, we are supposed to love each other no matter what happened and so forth. I wouldn't have listened to her were it not for the fact that I knew she was absolutely right. I do love you still. And I want to ask you to stay but I know it's useless so I won't." Tears threatened to spill, and Marin restrained them with an effort. Her hands went instinctively across Kyoji's back. "I am so glad you're seeing me off," she muttered. "Don't forget to write or call us sometimes. Promise?" "Would you accept collect calls?" He gave a short laugh. Marin pressed him against her tightly, then let him go. "Take off that silly wig, you look really weird wearing it," he said. The affection with which he spoke made her smile tremble. She had won her little brother's forgiveness and understanding, and her feelings were indescribable. I wish I could share this with someone, she thought. "Take care of Mother, Kyoji." "Count on it, Neesan." 3. Homecoming "Hi, Aiolia." He looked around and his face was transformed with joy. "Marin! When did you come back?" he exclaimed. "Have you found your family?" "Uncle, mother, brother, all safe and delighted to see me." He could not see her face, concealed as it was by her mask, but her happiness was almost tangible in her tone. "Good to hear it!" Then, carefully, "And you still prefer Sanctuary?" "I told you I'm a Saint and nothing can alter that, not even my folks." She shrugged. "Besides, I'll always have them in my heart. Sorry, do I sound like a bad actress reciting lines?" "Not at all. I'm happy for you, Marin." "I'm happy you're happy." She considered clapping him on the arm and did not. The unusual display of comradeship might alarm him. "So, how was Sanctuary while I was gone?"