Title: Rest of Eternity Author: Dana Quell Rating: G Classification: A, R, Summary: Something's seriously wrong with the captain, but can she and Chakotay admit their feelings for each other before it's too late? First person view, told from Chakotay's p.o.v. Disclaimer: Kathryn Janeway, Chakotay, the Doctor, and Tuvok do not belong to me. They belong to Paramount and Viacom, and to the wonderful writers of the show. Author's Notes: I know I have a tendency to ramble on, and on, and on in these things, but I won't, I swear. Promise! This is just a really short story I got one night while I was trying unsuccessfully to fall asleep. The next day I wrote it. And joy! It was finished the same day! That's only happened to me twice, I think. But I digress. I rambled, so here's the story. Rest of Eternity By Dana Quell I was called down to her quarters that day. Why I had no idea, but I was about to find out. I took a deep breath and entered her quarters. The Doctor was already there, and I didn't think I was going to like what he was about to say. I was right. "She's not doing so well. She's in lots of pain, and I can't figure out why. All I can do is administer pain killers," he said, a grim expression on his holographic face. "Can I see her?" I asked, the question the only one I could think of. The Doctor nodded. "Yes, but you have to realize that this is very serious. There was internal bleeding, which I managed to stop, but I can't treat her until I find out what's wrong, and I can't do that unless we get her to Sickbay. But she's in too much pain to be moved." I bit my lip. This did sound serious; so serious that maybe she wouldn't get up and walk away from this like she usually does. I decided to ignore the Doctor's statement for now and walked past him into her bedroom. "Hi," she said softly from where she lay on the bed when she saw me. I looked at her, and saw her usually shiny auburn hair dulled. I smiled, despite this, for appearance's sake. "Hi. How are you doing?" She sighed. "Not so well. Every move I make brings shockwaves of pain. The Doctor's done all he can, I know, with the painkillers, but. . .I'm afraid, Chakotay." I moved and sat on her bed. "What are you afraid of?" She turned her usually clear blue eyes toward me, and I saw that they were no muddled with pain. "I'm afraid that I'm going to die, Chakotay, without you ever knowing how I feel about you." "Kathryn-" I started, trying to stop her from saying what she needed to. She will have to make it out of this alive. Soon she'll be captaining this ship again, and all of this would be a memory. Or so I thought. "Chakotay, don't stpo me from saying what I need to," she replied, sitting up with great pain etched across her face. "The Doctor's optimistic, too optimistic, but I know that I'm not going to live. So I have to tell you." I moved closer to her in order to help her stay sitting. She continued. "Chakotay, I love yo-" she was interrupted by a spasm of pain. I helped her to lean back into the pillows, but her pain did not cease. I called for the Doctor, who ran from the main room, tricorder in hand, to attend to his patient. His tricorder started to beep slower, and I looked to her. She was staring back at me, the emotion in her eyes clear. I knew I had to tell her the truth before she died. "Kathryn, I love you, too," I said. She nodded her acknowledgement, then closed her eyes and died. "Kathryn," I gasped. The Doctor shook his head. "I'm sorry, Commander." I managed to find my voice. "Inform Tuvok, and have him start making funeral preparations. If anyone needs me, I'll be on the holodeck." He nodded, and I stumbled from Kathryn Janeway's quarters into the corridor, heading for Holodeck 1. And that is where I remain, living out my life with my beloved holographic Kathryn for the rest of eternity.