A Dark Cloud by Mike Esposito introduction They hurried along the cliffs under the cover of darkness. The wind blew and the full moon gave the travelers the little light they need. Their footsteps quietly scurried along the ground. At last they came across a stone circle. Not a large one, but one that stood out in the small grove of trees. The ground seemed unusually soft, and an order was given to begin digging. The shovels frantically moved up and down, discarding the dirt until the went cleanly through the soil. A man dressed in dark robes pushed them aside, and drove his arm into the ground, revealing a vast pit. "Down." He ordered, and they followed him down into the darkness. A light flickered on as the man in dark robes held up his staff. They were in a large chamber, doors on either side of the strange, green walls. The man gazed forward, and his eyes shone gold in reflection. The man gazed upon a triangle made of gold. Its tips glistened with a light that seemed to be given off from within. He approached the triangle, and held it. He glowed, now, a yellowish color, and the others squinted from the light. The man seemed to grow in size and stature. The triangle was gone, hidden in the robes of the man. "Sir..." A tall, lanky man began. He was dressed in red folds and white robes. He wore a belt to which knives were fastened. But he was cut off. The man in dark robes laughed, and his face grew dark. "Fool. All of you. You are fools. Meaningless flies here to pester me and what I seek." He spoke in a deep voice. "But sir, I was just..." The tall man continued. "You were just going to pester me with yet a nother question to which I have answered and shall not again. That is what you were going to do, and I haven't got an answer for you. I haven't got an answer for any of you, and I will not be pestered any more." The man raised his arm and a strange, yellow light glowed. He pointed his arm in the direction of the grew, and a yellow light rapidly bowled into them, knocking them down and crushing their bodies. The man in dark robes floated to the surface, and with his arms held high, laughed. A dark cloud loomed over the land, and lightning crashed, followed by thunder. Behind him, a force seemed to be mustered of great strength and size. Kettle drums beat and a horn blared. chapter 1: A Darkness Falls A fire-lit arrow was shot over the wall, catching the roof of a hut on fire. Six more were shot, and a ram was set up by the large, imposing door that served as the means for entrance and exit to the Hyrule town market. The kettle drums madly beat and horns triumphantly blared. Ladders were set against the southern walls were defenders tried frantically to ward off the attackers. There was a loud thump as the battering-ram smashed into the gate, and was drawn back to be hurled forward again. The screams of attackers were muffled by the cries of pain from the soldiers who tried to hold them back. The ram crashed again, and was drawn back. Already dark men were on the walls, removing the defenders in any way they could. The moon brightly shone and the stars glistened. Once more the batttering-ram was hurled forward, smashing in the gate into splinters which seemed to welcome in the oncoming force. The drums grew louder, and the horde advanced into the market, walking ontop of the fallen bodies of those who opposed them. A large, burning timber crashed into the middle of the market, yet they pressed on until they came to a great gate. They looked beyond, and shouted. The last force of the king stood on the other side, grim-faced and ominous. A large, armor-clad man steped forward, and with a club smashed the iron-bar gate. It dented and he attempted again, smashing it in. They charged forward to meet the last survivors. "Wait!" a man yelled, heading the small group. "Please. Do not harm us, we surrender. Just let us live, please. We shall not bother you at all." The armor-clad man turned, and spoke in a tongue unfamiliar to most people of ,them time. There was silence, and a large man, covered in black robes with a dark hood shadowing his face stepped forward. He cocked his head, and glanced forward at those begging for their lives. He gave out what sounded like laugh, and raised his staff in the air. It glowed yellow, but flickered out. He proceeded to turn around and walk away. The group sighed, and relaxed. The armor-clad man charged forward, and bowled minto them, smashing his club into one of them. The others charged forward as well, brandishing axes and swords. They surrounded the small group and closed in on them, and as they moved on, they left the dead bodies of the defenders. Glancing up, they saw the keep. One light flickered inside. An strange order was barked out, and seven fire-lit arrows were fired into the windows. Five found their ways inside. The force watched the keep burn, and three people find their ways out, coughing and gagging on the smoke. A man who obviously appeared to be the king stepped forward. "Please, just leave my daughter and her attendent be. I beg of you. Do what you will with me, but leave them." The armor-clad man stepped forward, and looking into the king's eyes spoke on word, "No." He drove a dagger into the king and grinned as he let him fall to the ground. With his last breath, the king yelled, "Fly!". A woman began running with a girl held in her arms. Arrows were shot after them, but they were gone. The cloud grew darker as a man stood high. His followers looked up at him, as he looked over them. He spoke, "It is ours," to which screams were yelled in unison, "Ganon!" The man spoke again, "Hyrule is ours!" Responses were yelled, "Ganon!" He spoke once more, "The Triforce... is mine." Triumphaint cheeres rose as horns blared and rums beat. A darkness had fallen over the land of Hyrule.