Captain HENRY LEE, was born at New London, Conn., April 17th, 1836. The son of Mr. Daniel Lee, an esteemed citizen, he was sent to school till he was 16 years of age. He then learned the trade of a carpenter, tried clerking for a while, but returned to his trade where the war found him. He responded to the first call for troops, and May 7th, 1861, enlisted in Co. C of the 2d Conn, (three months) Regiment. He was made a corporal, and as such served with credit through the Bull Run campaign, and was mustered out with his regiment, August 7th. Early in 1862 he commenced recruiting, and May 14th was commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Co. H, of the 14th, composed mainly of New London men. He left the State in this capacity. May 16th, 1863, he was promoted to a captaincy. For some time in 1864, he was ranking captain, and thus at times the command of the regiment fell upon him. In one of the battles of that year (Ream’s Station, Aug. 25th, 1864, if I am not mistaken), he was captured and taken to Libby Prison. After a brief confinement he was paroled, and then exchanged. January 20th, 1865, he resigned on account of sickness, and was honorably discharged. He engaged in different pursuits after the war, and finally settled in Meriden, where he was suddenly killed at Parker Brothers gun factory, on the 16th of August, 1869. While engaged in sawing gun stocks at a buzz saw, the saw caught and threw a piece of wood against his stomach, with such a force as to cause instant death. His body was removed to New London, and buried Aug. 19th, from the house in which he was born, by the Masonic body of which he was a devoted member. Rev. Abel P. Buel conducting the services.

Captain Lee was a genial, companionable young man, and left many friends in New London to mourn his loss. He was always in attendance at the reunions of the regiment since the war, and an earnest advocate of keeping up the old fellow-feeling between comrades-at-arms. At the re-union in Bridgeport, Sept. 17th, 1869 resolutions of respect to his memory were passed, and ordered to be transmitted to his young and heart-broken wife. Never seriously injured in the war, he was instantly taken from us long after its termination. Surely “The days of our life are as a tale that is told.”