THIS IS THEEE CULT MONSTER!...and this is the page I have set up for him.
Over the past years, I have painted, drawn, built and re-built the monster's likeness, more then I would like to even guess at!! O.K., I guess I'm a fan. ( My friends would say that I was putting it mildly!) I have assembled here, a small sample of my collection and work in reguards to the radio-active terror of Tokyo, I hope you enjoy it.
The only thing I have to say about the Big G's poppularity is this...He's been around for allmost 50 YEARS! Need I say more?
These two drawings are still in my hands, and I appologize for the blurry one below, center. I will have a better picture of it, to come. The other picture, is a build concept for the 90's Godzilla. I only got this far, and if anyone out there who can cast resin, wants to take a stab at it, be my guest!! Hey, if it comes out good, I'd like a copy!!
Below left, is a concept look for Godzilla, I built it with paper-mache, with eyes made from plastic balls.
It depicts the monster looking more dino-like, and less like a wolf, or cat. ( again, a better pic. is comming.)
These two pictures represent all that is left of my crowning achievment in Godzilla craziness...A "G-SUIT!!!" I built it in 1992, working on it night and day for about four months. It cost me around $300.00 in materials, alot of asprin, And alot of sleep!!The head was built up from paper-mache, with a hinging jaw. I covered it with egg-crate foam.
I built the body out of an old sweater for the top half, and some trousers for the lower section. Both items of clothing were built up with more egg-crate foam, held firm with bottles of Liquid Nails...and then textured to look. The most difficult sections were the tail, and spines.
The spines were true to the '80's look. Five rows, three of them , large and fingery, flanked by the edge rows. I carved each out of the foam. This was TIME CONSUMING!
The tail was built up from an old bed sheet, and stuffed full of my left-over scraps of foam, and skinned like the body with the only exception being a wire that ran the full length of it. This wire wraped around my waist, and if any-one happened to sinch the tail, while I wore the costume, I could feel it before it dammaged the thing.
The whole thing was painted over with Crylon spray...The effect was great! The costume won several awards, and I used it for a public function, or two. The paint was it's undoing... The foam started to desintagrate, and the thing became a health risk if stored in a house. So, it was destroyed. These pictures are all I have left of it, now.
In case you are wondering, the rather big guy holding the 'zilla head, is long-time friend and cohort, Christopher ( C.J.) Dooley. He is an accomplished musician and singer-songwriter who will be puting out his own c.d. soon. If you would like to know more, here is a link to his site.
C.J. Dooley's, "November's Child"