"MAINE ~ VIRGINIA ~ LABRADOR ~NEW
BRUNSWICK, QUEBEC CANADA   MONTANA ~ COLORADO ~ IDAHO
** MAY - JUNE - JULY -
Goal of the School:
- To teach all aspects of the art of Fly Fishing, and
Tying, to all students participating in our classes.
- Learning to place a fly delicately, and accurately, at
a distance where Trout are feeding is our objective when fishing with the
I. Fly Tying and Other Misc.
Tools of the Trade:
- Teaching everyone how to tie, and the nomenclature of
the different knots such as the Duncan, Surgeons, Needle/Nail, Double Blood,
Albright, and Arbor knot.
- All about Leaders, Tippets, Rods, Hooks, and types and
selection of Reels.
- For some examples of some great classic flies, will be
posted here soon.
Basic hand and arm movement, stance, lift, and line
movement of the;
- Back Cast
- Forward Cast
- Pick-up Cast
- Single/Double Haul Cast
- Roll Cast
- Shooting Line Cast
- Spey Casting
(Also covered, False Casting,
Where to look and what to look for
in hatch conditions;
- Aquatic Insects
- Terrestrial Insects
- Caddis Flies
We also cover topics in this
- Forage Fish
- Sky (Best time of day, overcast, clear, etc.)
- Study the rise forms of Trout, Salmon, and other
- Setting the line
- Fighting the fish
- Landing and releasing the fish
- Fish identification, (Species available to the Fly
- Reading the Water
- Knowing your equipment (Vest, Waders, etc.)
- Medical safety topics, Hypothermia, Hook Removal,
First Aid Kit Preparation.
V. Fly Tying
- Teaching - Basic - Intermediate - Master Fly Tying.
- (I specialize in Classic Atlantic Salmon Flies) Check
out my Web Page for a few that I have tied.
- *** It is our goal that you all will enjoy learning
about a Maine & Virginia tradition and we hope it will give you a better
background and understanding in the great sport of fly fishing.
MASTER GUIDE & MASTER FLY TYER
"Ole Grizz" Higgins