More Hamrick Biographies

Hamrick's of California 1850

Home | Biographies | More Hamrick Biographies | Elizabeth Wisdom Rhoads Hamrick | Trail Diary | Jesse Calvert Hamrick | Hamrick Links | Contact Me | John and George Hamrick | Hamrick Photo Album | Descendant Tree | Hamrick History | Family Tree | Hamrick Info from All States | Hamrick Connections

A Sketch of the Life of James Martin Hamrick


Times Job Department

Carrollton, Georgia

The cover of this booklet has some handwritten notes, the writers of these notes are not identified.
Notes: "This a a grandson of Benjamin Hamrick." and "(Mrs. Aderhold' grandfather)" and "Elizabeth Hamrick I do not know the connection here. Thought it was interesting-Please return!" I received this booklet from Harry Hamrick.

Chapter I

I, James Martin Hamrick, was born in Meriwether County near Luthersville on the 8th of March, 1838. Mother had 8 girls and 2 boys; the youngest, my little brother, died in 1854. I was raised on a farm by good, honest parents, strictly Primitive Baptist. I can recollect 1845, the dry year, when my father had to go 10 miles for his grinding; and they only ground half a bushel to the family, a great many having to grind their corn in coffee mills. In those days people raised but very little cotton and put it up in round bales, packing it with crowbars; and it would take about a week to thresh our a good wheat crop, turning the fan by hand. People dressed very commom and had but few doctors. When we had chills and fever, our good old mothers would parch egg shells and anvil dust and give us, and we would recover.

My first recollection was when I was three years old. I went with Mother to the burial of a Mrs. Cruse, who was placed away with her infant in her arms, the coffin being plainly painted with lampbalck and the vault covered with boards, there being but very little plank then. The next day I asked of my mother when they would be taken out and fed, when she explained to me that they were dead. Oh, such a change! Wife and I were there last summer and stood in a few feet of where I was born, but at the cememtery there was but little that I could recognize, while fine residences take the place of the old.

When the people found that I was the son of little Jimmie Hamrick, we were well cared for, free of charge; and it made me feel thankful to God that I was raised by good parents whom I buried. It will do any one good to visit the place of their birth. We lived in that section up to 1846, when Father sold and bought 2 miles east of Hogansville.

Chapter II

Father bought land 2 miles east of Hogansville, Hogan's Store, as it was known before the West Point Road was built, and moved there in the fall of 1846. The next year he, with hired labor and we chaps, made a fine cotton crop, carrying 12 bales on 1 wagon drawn by six mules to Griffin. When crossing Flint River, I closed my eyes, fearing the flat would sink, but landing safely, and reaching our destination, sold the cotton in Columbus at 3 cents. Every one was doing well then. Now we talk of hard times, but friends, we make the times what they are. In those days we dressed common, used no guano, and bought but few buggies. When we went to church, it was common to walk 3 or 4 miles. Log rollings and corn shuckings were common; and if a man failed to help his neighbor, he was thought but little of. Those were good days, when people had confidence in each other, when we sold meat, cattle, corn, fodder, lard, loaned money and many other transactions without giving or taking notes but merely charged it as does the merchant of today charge you with a pair of shoes.

In 1848 I went to school; Father bought me a dog knife, a set of marbles, and Mother made me a striped suit of clothes, and I have never felt prouder or finer since. At that school I took my first and last chew of tobacco, Frank Hendon giving me a glass marble to do so, and in a few seconds the house seemed to be turning like winding blades; but what that teacher did for us was a plenty. That fall my father got in better shape and bought his first Negro boy of 9 summers for $400, selling his farm for a good profit. It was during this fall that I attended my first wedding. After supper the young people cut a cake containing a ring, saying the one getting it would be the next to marry; but I never cut as I thought they would have to marry that night.

I visited the old home last summer and what a change; yet I was in the old log house that I slept in 54 years ago and found but few of the old school mates living, I return many thatnks to Jonas Sims who, in company with his brother William, carried me over Father's old plantation and to the old school-house site. These boys are among Troup's most noble men, running 40 ploughs.

My next will be on entering this county.

Chapter III

Father moved from Troup to this county in the fall of 1848 and bought 400 acres of land and settled on the place where Jessie Embry now lives. At that time this county was a wilderness' deer and turkey were plentiful--I have seen as many as 16 deer in a bunch at one time; in fact, I have seen them come up with the cattle.

Eighteen forty-nine was the year of the 15th of April freeze. We had corn half-leg high killed to the ground;also the wheat on 5 acres was killed, making only 5 bushels. There were no painted houses. Carollton had about 4 stores and a small log jail. In those days there were no pistols carried. When there was a fight, it was a fist fight, and in a few hours they would take a drink together and become friends. Nineteen fifty was a good crop year, and people began to move in and clear land and put up better buildings and a few churches, and schoolhouses were soon dotted in different localities. It was in this year that I went to school with my 2 older sisters. We would wash our feet and go barefoot; in fact, I never had a shoe on my foot up to my 15th birthday; and well I do remember the first time I went up to Macedonia, riding behind my dear father, with my fine shoes that he made for me, and they were painted with lampblack--I thought I was the finest person at the church--but those were the good times; and many were the rabbits, coons, and fish that I caught, but I never went fishing but one time on Sunday, and what my father did for me Monday morning following I will never forget. In 1851 there was no particular incident more than my finding a dead deer that I proceeded to skin, the money for which I bought a linen coat that I thought more of than a $25 suit of today.

The following year death invaded our home claiming my sister Jane in the month of November. It was at this time I first met Capt. J.M. Kelly, and often I think of his kindness in going to Carrollton for the doctor but of no good as death claimed its own before their returnm but that night he and Capt. Frank Powell sat up with the corpse as neighbors were far apart then.

Chapter IV

In 1852 we had a good crop year, also 1853, and I was getting up a good-size chap. I worked hard on the farm and attended school after the crops were laid by and spent many pleasant nights in the woods with 2 black boys, as I had no brothers, bird thrashing and hunting all kinds of game. Eighteen fifty-four was a dry year, and crops were very sorry.

That year my beard began to sprout, and I began to think that I was a man and commenced to look at the girls though I was the most bashful boy that ever lived--I was afraid they would bite a fellow. The first girl that I ever went with was that spring one beautiful Sunday in May. We walked about 1 mile, and I never tried as hard in my life to think of something to say, and just before we reached our journey's end I said to her: "This is a fine day, the sun shines so bright," and after I reached home, I thought of thousands of things I was sorry that I could not think of while with her.

Eighteen fifty-five was a fine crop year, and Father made about 1,200 bushels of corn and 30 stacks of fodder, plenty wheat and killed about 25 hogs and sold surplus at good prices. We raised very little cotton.

Eighteen fifty-six was a good crop year but very cold having frost each month in the year except July and August, I have seen men cut wheat in June with their coats on. That year my 2 oldest sisters were married. In 1857 I, though a boy of nineteen years, fell in love with a nice girl (in those days we did not say ladies) and asked if I could come to see her. She said, "Yes, sir!" and put a ring on my finger-- I thought I would faint and never slept any that night. I courted her the first of that year or tried to as I was afraid. In June I called on her one Sunday during the day as I thought the family could see something in my eyes. They went out in the garden and horse lot. I went to the door and looked out to see if any one was in sight and then went back and sat down by her, turned my head, shut my eyes and said, "Miss Mary, I love you! Will you have me?" She said, "Yes, sir!" Right then I could not tell whether I was dying, sinking or swimming. When I came to myself, I said, "I will bring you some snuff and candy next Sunday." We were married the 4th Sunday in July by Josiah Tyson, J.P. She was a good woman, and today I hope she is with the redeemed, She was the youngest daughter of Nathaniel and Seala Smith.

My next brings me up to the war.

Chapter V

In 1858 I built me a little log house and started out in life. Father gave me a good horse, bridle, and saddle; and we fixed up for housekeeping the best way we could, only having one bedstead. I cut down a sapling and got one post (or leg) and bored holes in it and the wall and soon had another bed fixed up and curtains put round it (as we had curtains in those days). With two common chairs and a bench, our domocile was complete, I made 4 bales of cotton and plenty corn that year and never hired any help, making about the same the next year---all on rented land. By this time and living close, I had saved up a little money, and in 1860 I bought 50 acres of land, and we moved to it. I went to clearing and worked hard and was contented; but how often in life are we disappointed. On the 26th of February, death claimed my companion and left me sad with one child that in course of life became the wife of Col. A.J. Camp of Dallas. That year I boarded with my sister, Mrs. H. A. Smith. She and her husband were very kind to me. I made a fine crop that year and sold my land early in 1861. I rented a farm and commenced to look out for another companion and was successful in meeting a nice lady, Miss Mary Brasher, near Carrollton. We soon became engaged and was to marry in May, but War Between the States caused a postponement. I sold my crop and volunteered in Capt. A.T. Burk's Co., 7th Georgia Regiment, and went to Virginia as a recruit and met the command at Winchester on the 18th day of July. The next day we struck tents and went on a forced march to Manassas Battle. That night we got to Shenandoah River and halted there. I got the best rest and sleep for a short time on a rock fence that I ever had. We then undressed and waded the river. With thousands of others the next day, Friday, we got to Piedmont River and did some cooking and went bathing in the river. That night we got on a freight car, went to Manassas and camped. Next morning, Sunday the 21st, the command was drawn in line for battle.

Chapter VI

On Sunday morning, July 21, 1861, the Seventh and Eighth Georgia Regiments, with cavalry and artillery, formed in line and doubled quick for about 6 miles and met the enemy on the battlefield near Bull Run, where our loss was heavy---many bit the dust that memorable day. We routed the enemy and captured many of them with their artillery and ran them into Washington City. Many noted men and women were out from the city in fine carriages to see the fun, but they went back double quick. After the battle, we got in shape the best way we could and camped 6 miles out from Washington at Manassas. From there we went to Farifax Station. In October we went back to Centreville and remained there the remainder of the year.

I see someone writing in the Journal about some farmer bringing in some barrels of apples with a keg of brandy in the middle and selling them for $50. I bought one of them and sold it in my tent before the officer arrived for about $300 (as I hardly ever darnk in those days). In January, 1862, we built winter quarters at Rocky Run. We put up bunks in our houses and had a good time though some times we would go out on picket duty in rain and sleet, and our clothes would freeze on us (as we had no fires on that duty). While there, my father, came to see me, and when I met him, my heart was so hard I could not cry. On the 8th of March (my birthday) the whole army fell back for Richmond, We stopped at Culpepper Courthouse a few days, then marched to Orange Junction and camped until the 10th of April; then we were put on frieght cars and rushed to Richmond. We got there in the night nearly perished and marched up Main Street about 3 miles and at every house we passed were barrels of water and ladies and children with buckets and waiters full of ham, chicken, bread, pies, and many other good things. Many are living today who will vouch for this. After staying there a few days, we took the boat and went to Yorktown landing there the 16th. Our brigade was formed in line of battle dam No. 1. The South Carolineans stacked their guns and were making breast works when the enemy crawled through the swamp and killed many of them before they could get their guns. We were ordered to charge and found the woods blue with them. I got one shot at them as they ran, leaving the ground covered with their killed and wounded. We lost a few men. A cannon ball struck our color bearer, named Fishback, in the breast cutting him in twain. On the 18th, an armistice and flag of truce were raised, and they came over and got their dead and buried them. They had been there for 2 days and were black in the face. That night while on picket, I received a gunshot in my hand, and to keep from bleeding to death, I got my suspender off with my left hand, and with it and my teeth I corded my arm until Capt. Jack Smith pulled me out of the mud and water.

Chapter VII

Next day after I was wounded I went up James River on a boat and was carried to the Globe Hospital and remained there until June. I took the gangrene in my hand and was at the point of death. When one was expected to die, they carried in the L of the hospital (or wing as they called it). When I came to myself, I found that I had been in there one week and had been laid our on the cooling board and pronounced dead; and when I had began to mend, I went to the bookeeper to get my baggage to go to Petersburg. I found that my name had been recorded on the book of the dead. When I got to Petersburg, I was sent to a private house with 3 others and began to mend fast; and right here let me say that the ladies of the city were very kind to us in furnishing something good to eat. Father sent Dr. Jack Brown for me in July, and I will long remember him for his kindness. On reaching home I was completely worn out, weighing about 80 pounds. To commence life anew, that fall I went to school; and the next spring, 1863, I taught school and went to see the lady that I was engaged to and told her, as I was a cripple for life, it was with regret I would release her of our engagement, but she said she was willing to go through life with me. And so we were married the third Sunday in May by Rev. Nathan Smith. That fall we moved to Villa Rica, and I and Dr. Brown opened up a grocery store and made money. In the month of May, 1864, my heart and home was saddened by the death of my wife. In July I met with a nice lady, Miss F.A. Isler, and in a quiet way I proposed, was accepted, and we were married the 8th of September by T.M. Hamilton, J.P. and moved near Sand Hill, where I farmed in 1865 and 1866. By ploughing with a strap around my broken hand and Father seeing that I would not be able to support my family, bought the place at Sand Hill, and he and I went into the mercantile business and made money fast for two years, when I bought his interest and made a success. In 1875 politics or some kind of tick got into my head, and I was elected tax collector for two terms, over two as good men as was in the county.

Chapter VIII

After serving as tax collector for two terms, I began to think that I was getting very popular and ran again against a good man, a one-armed soldier, Dan Creel, and he laid me in the shade by 40 votes. After he served two years, 1881--1882, we had what was called a scrub race (10 men running for the office). I was successful and came out winner by 190 votes. After serving two years, we had another scrub race. I again went in the ring and thought that I could see my way clear; but oh, often we are mistaken. My friend W.D. Jones defeated me by 75 votes. Since then, I have been in several races and ran very well but got left on the home stretch. In 1896 I got in sight of the promised land, but my friends for their support and hope they will let me have the office one more time in life; then I will retire from politics and help my friends.

During the time at Sand Hill that I was holding office, my wife attended the store and looked after my collections and bought many bales of cotton and made money for me. By this time I had bought and paid for about 700 acres of land. By this time, the Southern Railroad was constructed; and in 1883 I sold out and moved to Villa Rica, a prosperous place, and bought a farm, also a business house in which I sold dry goods and made money. And in that town---though not boastingly---I raised a large family of good children, 8 boys and 3 girls, 10 of whom are living, though only 1 with me now; and though I am getting old, I still hope to live to see them make the best of citizens.

In 1885, after getting a good start, I commenced buying cotton and lost money. In 1890 I decided that cotton would go to a high point; so I made arrangements with Maddox & Rucker to get money, bought and held 1,000 bales, and lost $10,000 on it and was then flat broke and had to sell my surplus property and enter the loan association in which I remained 6 years when I had to give up or sell my farm to pay out and have been hard run up to now to meet my obligations when due, and many friends have advanced me money for such pruposes for which may God bless them.

Chapter IX

About 1891, after losing heavily on cotton, it grieved me. Still I thought there was a living for all if we would strive in the right way; so I went into the cattle business and bought and fed thousands of head, and in the meantime, I made my little farm so that it would produce a bake of cotton to the acre, dealing at the same time in cottonseed hulls and meal.

I have made it a point in life, as much as my means would allow, to help build up the county and paid $500 in to the Griffin and Carrollton Railroad and $300 toward our school building, which is an honor to our town. In doing this, I only did my duty as we should all strive to leave monuments for our children; yet I regret that I have not been able to do more and been of more service to my county and society. In looking over my past life, I see many places where I could make imporvements, but too late, though in the future I expect to guard against some missteps that the mantle of charity will be thrown around all my shortcomings. I find by past experience that when we do our duty religiously or temporally towards our fellow man, we can lie down at night with a clear conscience. My family has been my pride, and I feel that I have done all that I could for them, and they have likewise been kind to me; and with all my failures, I feel that I have cast a few mites that will be gathered up in days to come.

For the past 40 years I have been a lover of sacred music and have traveled hundreds of miles to attend our conventions, and at my present age, it fills my soul with love to sing God's praises; and if a man were to pass my house with a sacred harp under his arm, he can return, eat my ham and sweetened coffee, and slumber on my best bed. Last year I attended 20 conventions and annual singings, cutting a great through, especially at mealtime; and today I have no regret at being thrown with music talent, and the best I ever heard led by ladies was by Misses Lola White, Ora Morgan, Gardner, Smith and others. And after my time, I hope my musical friends will hold a memorial singing in memory of me.

Farming has been pleasant with me, and I have followed it all my life up to 1897 and raised a large family, mostly boys, and they have worked hard; and my experience is, if you want to make useful men, learn them to pull the bell cord, and not boasting, I am proud to see my 8 sons doing as well as they are, and I hope to see them make the best of citizens and be of great use to the state, I have only 1 with me and my 2 faithful daughters of whom I have no complaint I will speak in my next.

Chapter X

In commencing this article, comes the saddest part of my life, In 1897 my wife that had attended me through prosperity and adversity for 34 years became afflicted. For 18 months she was attended by Dr. L Roberds and Dr. Powell, and everything was done for her relief possible. She bore her affliction with Christian fortitude. In February, before she died in September, she had the family called in and bade us farewell, saying she could see a bright world where she would soon be at rest with thousands of saints dressed in white robes. She gave directions as to her watch and other jewelry to her three daughters, her pocketbook and some other presents to me, and said that she would know my father and mother who had gone before; but her parents who died when she was quite young she did not think she would know. In a few weeks, she began to improve, and I called her attention to the conversation, With a smile on her face, she said that she saw the bright world before her. Then she had a long conversation with me and selected the text she wanted her funeral preached from by Bro. W.W. Roop, and for her six eldest sons to act as pallbearers, and to place her body in a lot at our cemetery, all of which was carried out. Friends, let me say that that was the most trying scene of my life and to my children that so faithfully attended her--especially my daughter Leila, who waited on her day and night, without tire or complaint. Others who brought her nourishment, I'll never forget, Mesdames Pritchett, Malone, Velvin, Ayers, and my sister, Mrs. W.B. Candler being with her when she died. May the God of Heaven bless you all (my youngest daughter was nearly deaf at the time and could not wait on her mother). After all that could be done, on the 5th of Sept., 1898, her spirit took its flight to that Celestial City. Thus a good wife and mother is no more. We lived a happy life together for 34 years, and I find by past experience that the longer a man and wife lives together the more they become attached to each other. No pen can describe the feelings that I had in my cripple condition and old age to be left alone with my two little boys and two faithful daughters. We commenced to keep house the best we could with sad hearts. I rented my farm out for the next year to George Luther, as fine a man as ever marked the earth, and I never will forget his noble wife for kindness to my daughters--she was almost a mother to them. I almost gave up as I had been bereaved so often of good companions and thought I would remain single the rest of my life; but knowing my children would soon leave me, in about six months I began to look around for another companion; but when a man gets old, he can't get around like a boy.

Chapter XI

In 1899, after remaining single 14 months, I met a nice lady, Miss Nannie Barnes, in Chambers Co., Ala.: and we were married 13th of October by Rev. E.C. Smith on Friday, and that is an unlucky day. I advise friends not to marry or go to see a lady on Friday as luck has been against me ever since. Nearly everything I undertake I fail to prosper. I must hasten to close with this chapter as I have worried the public long enough, but let me bring up a few things that have been left out as there is a difference of opinion about the frost in 1849. Some say April; others, May. Friends, it was April as the month came in on Sunday. The 15th was the 3rd Sunday; and Mrs. M.A. McWhorter, who is still living, was baptized at Macedonia Church that day, and snow fell in the afternoon. Some think that because wheat was heading, it was May, but you must remember that seasons were earlier then than now. Then we would sow wheat in October, plant corn in February, cotton in March, and cut wheat in May. In closing this article, my mind runs back to my boyhood days at Sand Hill; and very few of the old landmark are now living; and they are A.J. Aderhold, S.C. Dickson, C.J. Barton, J.A. Blair, J.M. Hyde, J.T. Reddingfield, and T. M. Kelley, men of my age that bore the sufferings of war through shot and shell. Our ranks have been thinned out, and today they rest beyond the river. I often think that God has been merciful to me by sparing my almost unprofitalbe life as I can see so many that have been called. Yet, He knoweth best, and we should be submissive. I know that according to nature, I must soon meet my God and give account for my stewardship here, and I desire that my body be placed in a neat coffin and buried on my lot in Villa Rica cemetery by the side of the mother of my children. In closing this chapter, a tear steals down my cheek to think of the neglected opportunites. Still I give God the praise for all blessings, and I hope by chance this may fall into the hands of my friends and companions, children, and grandchildren and that they may gather some good from it.

The remainder of my life I expect to spend here and hope to live it peacefully and quietly out as there is hope for a tree cut to the ground sprouting out. I know that I have been scattering in my remarks; yet, I was to hasten on, and now I want to read the life of someone else as a few more years at best I must bid you all farewell to enter that Celestial City where there will be no cripples, no pain or sorrow. May God bless you all.


Transcribed for all Hamricks by Jill O'Neall Ching


Names of Grandpa Thomas Jefferson Hamricks First Six Children,
And More Hamrick Family History

Grandpa Hamrick's First Six Children
Thomas Jefferson Hamrick

Family Tree Follows

Grandpa Hamrick and his first wife, Sinis Brown Hamrick, named their first child Elmira for Grandpa's sister who married Lawson Gunn and in the family bible it reads, "Catherine E Gunn was born the second of January, 1847." An entry below states, "The deceased mother of the above departed this life the fifth of January 1847". That would have been Elmira.

Grandpa Hamrick named his second child John for his father and probably for his brother three years younger than himself who died at age 8 1/2. (5 years after this John died John C. and Katherinee Hamrick had another son whom they also named John).

The third child was named Margaret. Maybe Grandma Sinia had a loved one by that name.

They named the forth child thomas (Tom) for Grandpa Thomas Jefferson Hamrick.

The fifth child was named Joseph for John C.'s oldest brother. The five brothers were orphaned at an early age and Joseph was instrumental in getting the boys togather after they were "bound out" to different families to work.

They named their sixth child James for another of John C's brothers and one of Thomas Jefferson's brothers. James "Jim" must have been born in 1845 as he was five years old on the 1850 census. Grandma Sinia must have died in childbirth or soon after as Grandpa Hamrick married again in the "winter of 1846". James was 1; Joseph 3; Thomas 4; Margaret 6; John 8; and Elmira 10; when he remarried.

The second wife, Sabrina (Sibby), must have been a good person, to take on the motherhood of 6 children, all under 11 years of age.

Grandpa was 25 when married the first time; he was 36 the second time and his wife was 29.

Here is a version for this branch of the Hamrick family tree:

Patrick Hamrick 1684 m Margaret Ingles
Their son:
Joseph Hamrick 172? m Elizabeth?
Their son:
Thomas Hamrick 1714 m Sarah Scurlock
Their Children:
Joseph 1797
James 1782
William 1784-1812
Burwell 1787

John C 1786 m Catherine (Kate) Myers
Their Child:
Thomas Jefferson 1810 m Sinia Brown 2nd Sabrina
Their Children:
Elmira 1835
John 1842
Margaret 1839
Thomas 1841
Joseph 1842
James 1845
Martha 1811 m William Brown
John 1813-1822
James 1817 m Jane Pitman
Elmira 1819 m Lawson Gunn
Emaline 1822 m Thomas Jefferson 1st cousin
Katherine 1825 m Hamrick?
John Myers 1827 m Brunner ?
Burwell 1833 m Amanda Dear

More Hamrick Family History and Information,
in the form of a letter and a note:

This a copy of a letter which Emmoline Hamrick is assisting her mother in obtaining a land warrant.

"Enterprise Post Office
Clark Co. Mississippi

To Captain Anderson-

Dear Sir-

John Hamrick sometimes called Ham(b)rick answers when called by eather name. He was a soldier in war of 1812. He died leaving a widow by the name of Catherine Ham(b)rick, Hamrick is the correct name. She received a Military land warrent for 160 acres of land.

This land warrent was placed in the hands of a young man by the name of McGee. I am at a loss to know what he done with it.
He has had it three or four years and makes out that he is a going get it, but do not do it. as such I want you, if you please Sir, to call on the Commessioner of Pensions to get a copy or duplicate and the (?) and see if it has ever been located and if located, give it the members of the same and if it is not located please introduce a bill and have it post in favor of their daughter Emmoline Hamrick.
She is the daughter of John Hamrick and Catherine Hamrick that would be her right as her father and mother are both dead, you will first have to find out weather it has ever been located if it has not then introduse a bill to give it to their daughter Emmoline Hamrick.

Yours Respectfully /
S. A. Kidd"

This note was written by Mrs McPhael who lived in Collinville.
That is where Capt. John and others died.

"Captain John C. Hamrick was a military man when the Creek & Seminole war broke out in Ala. He raised a Company of volunteres and joined Gen. Andrew Jackson.
They defeated the indians at Horseshoe Bend and Emucfaw. They drove the few remaining ones into Fla. then marched overland to New Orleans where defeated the British in the Battle of New Orleans on Jan. 8, 1815. They killed Gen Packenham and two thousand men. They then marched to Tenn. cutting the trail as they went, whitch is known as Jackson Trail.

Captain Hamrick then went back to Milledgeville, Ga. where he lived until 1820. he inherited a large number of slaves. He took his family and his slaves and migrated to Ala. and settled on river-bottom which proved to be unheathfful. He then moved to Miss. (early in 1836) where he lived until he died Sept. 1, 1856.

Thomas Jefferson Hamrick (the first born son) inherited about 15 slaves and moved to the east side of Okatibbee (creek) and lived there until 1857 when he bought the Hamrick Planation one mile east of Collinsville. There he died in 1881 and was buried in the Hamrick Cementary.

One of his brothers lived in Isney, Ala. for a number of years. (My great grandfather) His descendents are around Waynesboro, MS and the Western part of Ala."

Information obtained from Harry Hamrick, by way of Liz Hamrick, and from JR McKinney.

This is a free site, you may use the information for your personal research, but you may not copy for monetary gain.