Poche, F. N. (Francois Numa),
Sergt. Co. E, 18th La. Inf. En. Oct. 5, 1861, Camp Moore,
La. Present on all Rolls to June, 1862. Roll July and Aug.,
1862, Promoted 1st Sergt., Aug. 25, 1862. Absent, in Mobile
on four days furlough since Aug. 28, 1862. Rolls Jan., 1863,
to Aug., 1863, Present. On Rolls of Co. A, Cons. 18th
Regt. and Yellow Jacket Battn. La. Inf. Roll of
Prisoners of War, C. S. A., of furloughed and detailed men,
C. S. A., paroled Shreveport, La., June 16, 1865. Res. St.
James Par., La.
FRANCOIS NUMA POCHE' was born on
January 10, 1833 in St. James Parish. He was the son of
Alexandre Simon Poche' and Constance Richard. Francois Numa
was one of at least seven children. His siblings were:
1. Simon Alexandre Poche' who was born on February 28,
1831 in St. James Parish. He married Belzire Chapman on June
16, 1855 at St. Michael Church. Simon Alexendre was a member
of the 18th Regiment of the Louisiana Infantry, also known
as the Chasseurs St. Jacques;
2. Francois Simeon Poche' born about 1835;
3. Leonce Edouard Poche' who was born on January 13,
1837. He married Alcidie Boucry on December 28, 1857;
4. Marie Constance Poche', whose birthdate in unknown,
married Zenon George Trudeau on June 17, 1844;
5. Marie Polynie Poche', born on November 1, 1838; and
6. Marie Elvina Poche' born June 16, 1835.
Francois Numa married Eve Perilloux on July 11, 1866 in
St. John the Baptist Parish. Eve was born on April 21, 1845
and was the daughter of Marcellin Perilloux and Delphine
Vicknair. She was one of at least nine other children.
1. Celestine Perilloux was born on June 17, 1830 in St.
John the Baptist Parish. She was batpized in Edgard on
September 11, 1830. Her God-parents were Pierre Vicknair and
Celeste Perilloux, wife of George Hymel. She married Cyrien
Chauff on May 1, 1847 and died a scant six months later on
November 11, 1847 leaving no children.
2. Marcellin Perilloux was born on July 23, 1832 in St.
John the Baptist Parish. He was baptized on August 25, 1832
at Edgard with Antone Vital and Catherine Rice as his
3. Marie Ernestine Perilloux was born in 1836 in St. John
the Baptist Parish. She married Seraphin Justin Vicknair on
September 25, 1851 in St. John Parish. Four years later she
married Elphage Poche' on October 16, 1855 at Convent, La.
4. Ernest Perilloux was born on July 21, 1834 in St. John
the Baptist Parish. He died at Jesuit College of St. Louis,
Mo. on March 7, 1849 at the age of 15. He was interred on
March 28, 1849 at St. John the Baptist Cemetary in Edgard,
5. Genevieve Perilloux was born on November 25, 1838 in
St. John the Baptist Parish. She died a year and a half
later on June 30, 1840.
6. Adam Perilloux was born on February 11, 1841 in St.
John the Baptist Parish. He was baptized in Edgard on March
20, 1841. He married Marie Odile Montz on May 14, 1861. He
died at Reserve, La on March 14, 1898.
7. Marie Felicie Perilloux was born on April 21, 1845 in
St. John the Baptist Parish. She married Francois Reine (son
of Francois Reine and Arthemise Poche') on October 3, 1866.
8. Francois Henry Perilloux was born on September 16,
1849 in St. John the Baptist Parish. He married Marie Louise
Villere around 1879 at St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans.
He passed away on March 17, 1883, probably in New Orleans.
9. Marie Felice Phillis Perilloux was born on September
12, 1851 in St. John the Baptist Parish. She married Maurice
Reine at St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. She died on
February 2, 1897 in St. John the Baptist Parish.
Prior to Francois Numa's married to Eve Perilloux, he
enlisted in the 18th Regiment of the Louisiana Infantry,
also known as the Chasseurs St. Jacques on October 5, 1861.
He joined the army as a 2nd Sergeant. His brother Simeon
Alexandre Poche' was also a member of this regiment. He was
paroled on or about June 5, 1865.
After they were married, Francois Numa and Eve Poche' had
at least four children. They were:
1. Nina Marie Poche' who was born on May 8, 1867 in St.
John the Baptist Parish. She was baptized on June 8, 1867.
She married Francois Maturin Poche' on May 6, 1886. They
were first cousins.
2. Ida Cecile Poche was born about December 1874. She
married George Joseph Tassin on September 4, 1893 in New
Orleans. Ida Cecile and George Joseph are my [Submitter:
Brian G. Pope] Great Grandparents .
3. Marie (YaYa) Poche' was born about June 1878, and;
4. Noelie Poche who was born about 1880 and married Frank
Perilloux. We do know that in 1920 she was living with
George Tassin and his family at 2267 St. Claude in New
There is conflicting data as to the cause of Francois
Numa Poche's death. His death certificate says he died of
cirrhosis of the liver. However, when his wife Eve filed for
a Confederate Widow's Pension, she indicates that he died of
rheumatism. Whatever the cause, Francois Numa passed away on
May 29, 1891 in New Orleans.
Eve Perilloux Poche' died on May 15, 1917 at the age of
71. She had been living with her daughter and son-in-law Ida
Cecile Poche' and George Tassin, claiming no mean of support
on her pension application. She died at St. Amelia, in St.