The Awakening

Part 4: Resurrection...and Love?

(Scene opens to the waiting room where Akane and the rest of the gang are sitting waiting is to hear any news of Ranmas condition. A panicked voice comes over the intercom.)

VONurse: Attention, patient in room 310 has flat lined. Repeat code blue in room 310.

(Akane glances up from the magazines she was reading.)

Akane: My God, isn't that Ranma's room.

Nodoka:(gasp!)Yes it is!

(The two families rush to room 310 with Akane arriving first. Akane enters the room to see nurses bustling about trying to revive Ranma. One of the nurses sees Akane.)

Nurse: Ma'am, I must ask you to leave.

Akane: Please, I can help.

Nurse: If we need your help we will be sure to ask for it.

(Akane was about to argue when Nodoka's hand halts her.)

Nodoka: The nurses will do their best to help Ranma. Lets leave them to do their job.

(The nurse bows to Nodoka and resumes trying to revive Ranma. Nodoka and Akane exit the hospital room, closing the door behind them. Out in the hall Nabiki is talking on a cell phone. Soun and Genma are consoling each other in a sad game of 'go'. Kasumi is sitting in one of the chairs lined up along the hall. Akane sits down to the left of Kasumi and Nodoka sits to the left of Akane. Akane leans forward, putting her head in her hands and starts to cry.)

Akane:(thinking)Ranma don't you leave me. Don't you dare leave me.

(After what appears to be a life time but was really ten minutes, nurses walk out of the room. Akane stands up.)

Akane: Well?

(One of the nurse looks extremely forlorn at having to give everyone the news.)

Nurse: I'm sorry. We did every thing we could. I'm sorry.

(Akane stares at the nurse for a few seconds letting the information sink in. Akane falls to her hands and knees with a shocked look.)

Akane:(thinking)No, it can't be.(outloud)Can I see him?

Nurse:(in a soothing, caring voice)Yes you may, but only until the intern comes to take the body to the morgue.

(Akane stands and enters Ranma's hospital room. She crosses the room in a daze to stand on the left side of Ranma, Akane grabs Ranma's left hand in both of hers. She then notices that Cologne, Shampoo, Ukyou and Kodachi entered the room after her.)

Akane:(sad tone of voice)Please, leave me.

Kodachi: I will not allow you to take advantage of my Ranma.

(A deep red aura appears around Akane which is not surprising. Something catches Cologne's eye. Cologne looks dumbfounded.)

Cologne:(thinking)What? Another one?(Akane has let go of Ranma's hand and has taken up an offensive stance. There is a blue-white circle on her forehead.)STOP! Alright Akane, we'll leave.

Ukyou: But-

Cologne: OUT!

Shampoo: Yes, I go.(looks at Ukyou and Kodachi)She here first. We pay respects later.

(Cologne follows Shampoo, Ukyou and Kodachi out to the hall, closing the door. Akane relaxes. She turns toward Ranma's limp body and thuds her hands on his chest.)

Akane:(outloud)Oh God Ranma. How will life be without you. I never realized it till now, and it took your death to make me see it. I love you.

(Time slows down. The circle slowly appears on Ranma's forehead. A shining blue dot floats down from the ceiling to rest on the blue circle. Akane doesn't hear the lub-dub of a heart beat start in Ranma's chest. Ranma opens his eyes to find Akane wetting his shirt with her tears. Ranma then reaches over with his right hand and starts to stroke Akane's hair. Akane doesn't register the physical contact at first. Ranma decides to speak up.)

Ranma: Akane?

Akane:(surprised.)Ranma?(Jumps to the far wall as she registers the physical contact.)What the?

Ranma: Hey, Akane, its okay.

Akane:(now shocked and fearful.)No its not. you're dead.

(Ranma gets up from the hospital bed and walks toward Akane with a limp because of the cast. He grabs her right hand and puts the palm against his chest.)

Ranma: Am I? Don't you feel that I am solid, not like a ghost? Don't you feel my heart beating? If I was dead would I be able to this?

(Ranma lets go of Akane's hand and puts both of his hands around her jaw. Ranma looks into Akane's eyes trying to see any hint of hesitation. When he saw that she was not about to pull away he slowly brought his lips to hers. They were kissing, awkward and stiffly at first, then they started to relax and enjoy the sensations that they were experiencing. After being overwhelmed with the joy of the kiss, Ranma broke it off, gently pulling Akane to him. Akane puts her arms around him, holding him tightly and places the right side of her head against his chest.)

Akane: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ranma, could you do me a favor?

Ranma:(soothing voice.) Mmm?

(Akane looks up at Ranma.)

Akane: Don't ever leave me.

(Ranma makes eye contact with Akane.)

Ranma: I promise to never leave you.

Akane: Good. Now come here.

(Akane reaches up and grabs Ranma at the nape of the neck and pulls him down. Before their lips meet there was a knock on the door.)

VONodoka:(soothing voice)Akane? Are you okay? The intern is here to pick up Ranma's body.

Akane:(still hanging on to Ranma.)Yeah, I'll be right out.(Akane slides out of Ranmas embrace and walks toward the door. Before she opens the door she turns back to Ranma. whispering)Quick, hide.

(Ranma walks and stands behind the door. Akane opens the door to allow the intern in. The intern backs into the room pulling a table on wheels in front of her. The intern turns to the bed to find it empty.)

Intern: What has happened to the body?

VORanma: Right here.

(Ranma steps out from behind the door to face the intern.)

Ranma: BOO!

(Confronted with a supposedly dead body the intern freaks and runs out of the room screaming. Both families and the rest of the gang barge into the room. Nodoka is the only one that can speak for everyone else is too surprised.)

Nodoka:(happy.)Ranma! I knew that you weren't dead.

Ranma: Of course.

(Ranma goes around giving hugs and handshakes to everybody there. Everyone is happy, even Kuno who arrived at the news of Ranmas death.)

Kuno: Thou ist alive. Even thou did not deserve to perish in such an unnoble way.

Ranma: Huh?

(After much celebration and laughter Cologne invites everyone to the Nekohanten. Ukyou and Kodachi try unsuccessfully to get Ranma away from the joyous crowd. Akane was the only one to notice the cold looks Shampoo was giving Ranma.)

Akane:(thinking)Whats with Shampoo all of a sudden? She hasn't even tried to close to him. And whats with the look of daggers? Something weird is going on.

(The crowd makes its way to the Nekohanten. With the joy of Ranmas resurrection pushed to the back of everybodys minds Ranma also drops back to be with the rest of the teenagers.)

Ranma: What happened to Ryouga after I went unconscious?

Akane: He ran off-

(Nabiki cuts in.)

Nabiki: He ran because he feared what Akane might do to him.

Ranma:(laughs to himself.)I bet he did.

(When they arrived at the Nekohanten Cologne, Shampoo and Ukyou all help to prepare something to eat. Akane wanted to help as well but stopped at Ranmas bashing of her cooking. the usual verbal fighting ensued, not wanting to ruin the place. Ranma was glad for the argument, for it kept Akane out of the kitchen and Kodachi away from him. Ranma was also glad for Kuno because he kept her out of the kitchen so she could not poison or drug the food. When the food arrived everyone dug into the delicious cooking with flourish. What was surprising to everyone was that Ranma didn't eat his food with his usual gusto. When he was done Ranma went to the kitchen.)

Cologne: What is the matter? still hungry?

Ranma: No. Did you see the symbol

Cologne: What symbol?

Ranma: On Akane's forehead.

Cologne: Oh! That symbol. Yes I saw it. Did you?

Ranma: No I didn't, but I felt it.

Cologne: So its true.

Ranma: Yes. Akane is a Jedi!