|Mailing List | Message Boards | Chat Room|
|Home | House Rules | AD&D News | Alternate Paladins | World of Karil | Web Site Index | OA Project|
THE NEW FANTRA
The chaotic neutral fantra, whose name means "guardian," bears the weapons of the church. Fantras belong to a nomadic culture, the members of which call themselves meadlennes ("tribe members"). Fantras sometimes see themselves as guardians of their entire people, their protective and comforting nature giving them a charisma score bonus of +3 when dealing with other meadlennes to a maximum of an 18 charisma. Fantras and their people care only for their god and themselves. People not of the same tribe and whose religious beliefs differ from those of a fantra are called attlennes ("outsiders") and are regarded as no different from intelligent animals. Should a fantra ever aid an attlenne without good cause (i.e., without aiding the meadlenne tribe in some way), he loses his status, is excommunicated and exiled, and becomes forevermore an attlenne and a normal fighter. Fantras only wear armors of chain mail quality or lighter, and they only carry wooden shields. They have few personal possessions, because they must carry all of their equipment on horseback or in carts when the tribe moves. Fantras prefer mounts with stamina, depending on them often for their lives. Fantras live life not much unlike gypsies. Wisdom is the prime requisite of a fantra. A wisdom score of 16 or greater adds 10% to earned experience. Fantras receive spell bonuses and chances of spell failure according to their wisdom scores as clerics do. Ability score requirements are as follows: Str: 14 Con: 9 Wis: 13 Cha: 15 Nomadic fantras never build stongholds. At 9th level or above, a fantra might attract tabaxi or atomies as followers, but otherwise he works only with other fantras. The special abilities of a fantra are: 1. Immunity to normal diseases of all types, excluding magical diseases and lycanthropy. 2. A 10% chance per level to identify plants or animals, to a maximum of 90%. 3. A 5% chance per level to identify pure water or nonpoisonous wild foods, to a maximum of 95%. 4. The ability to concoct antidotes from natural herbs and roots. The antidote has a 10% chance per level of the fantra of neutralizing the poison in 1-4 rounds. This ability assumes the availability of proper herbs and roots. Concoction time ranges from 2 rounds to 2 hours, depending on the complexity of the poison (and therefore the antidote). The fantra must know the exact nature of the poison to concoct a suitable antidote. Fantras do not require the herbalism, healing, nor toxicology proficency to create the antidote. 5. Spell use at 1st level and above. Fantra Table II shows the number and level of such spells. 6. A +1 per three levels to their save versus natural poisons to a maximum of a +5. A successfull save means no effect whatsoever. The strictures of a fantra are: 1. Forbidden retention of wealth. All treasure falls to the tribe and its eigen (chieftain). Fantras keep only personal magic items such as weapons and rings. 2. Tribal gain over personal gain. They fantra must sacrifice all for the tribe. Fantras Table I Experience Hit Level Poison points Level Points Title Save 0--2,250 1 d10 Fantra +1 2,251--4,500 2 2d10 Fantra +1 4,501--7,500 3 3d10 Fantra +1 7,501--15,000 4 4d10 Fantra +2 15,001--35,000 5 5d10 Fantra +2 35,001--50,000 6 6d10 Fantra +2 50,001--125,000 7 7d10 Fantra +3 125,001--225,000 8 8d10 Fantra +3 225,001--350,000 9 9d10 Fantra +3 350,001--700,000 10 10d10 Fantra +4 700,001--1,050,000 11 10d10 + 4 Fantra +4 1,050,001--1,400,000 12 10d10 + 8 Fantra +4 1,400,001--1,750,000 13 10d10 + 12 Fantra +5* *-- Maximum for listed value Fantras gain one level per 350,000 experience points above 9th level. Fantras gain 4 hit points per level above 10th level. Fantra Table II: Spells usable by experience level Fantra Fantra spell level level 1 2 3 4 1 1 -- -- -- 2 1 -- -- -- 3 2 1 -- -- 4 2 1 -- -- 5 3 1 1 -- 6 3 2 1 -- 7 4 2 1 1 8 4 2 1 1 9 5 3 2 1 10 5 3 2 1 11 6 3 2 1 12* 6 4 2 2 * -- Maximum spell-casting ability. Fantras have a unique spell list. They acquire and cast spells in the same way that a cleric does, by meditation and prayer. Fantra spell list Number 1st level 2nd level 1 Animal friendship Barkskin 2 Cure light wounds Charm Person or Mammal 3 Detect good/evil Cure disease (3) 4 Detect magic Detect charm 5 Detect snares & pits Dispel magic (3) 6 Invisibility to animals Find traps 7 Light Goodberry 8 Locate animals/plants Know alignment 9 Protection from plants* Produce flame 10 Remove fear Protection from animals* 11 Resist cold/fire Slow poison 12 Sanctuary Speak with animals Number 3rd level 4th level 1 Animal summoning I (4) Animal summoning II 2 Continual light Atonement (5) 3 Cure serious wounds (4) Control temperature, 10' radius 4 Detect lie (4) Control winds (5) 5 Neutralize poison (4) Cure critical wounds (5) 6 Prayer Flame strike (5) 7 Protection from insects* Insect plague (5) 8 Remove curse Produce fire 9 Snare Reincarnate (7) 10 Speak with dead True seeing (5) *-- see below Unless otherwise indicated, all fantra spells correspond to the clerical spell of the same name and level. A number after a spell indicates the spell is normally of a level different from that at which a fantra learns the spell. Protection from Plants (Abjuration) Level: 1 Range: Touch Duration: 2 rounds/level Area of effect: Creature touched Components: V, S, M Casting Time: 3 Saving Throw: None Explanation/Description: This spell prevents bodily contact between the creature touched (the caster or a willing recipient of the spell) and normal plants in a manner similar to the protection from evil spell. The spell does not inhibit monsters and plants of a magic nature (excluding giant normal plants). All attacks from normal plants incur a -2 penalty on hit rolls. Saving throws for the spell recipient against attacks from normal plants receive a +2 bonus. The material components of the spell consist of plant fiber (any type) and crushed leaves. Protection from Animals (Abjuration) Level: 2 Range: Touch Duration: 2 rounds/level Area of effect: Creature touched Components: V, S, M Casting Time: 6 Saving Throw: None Explanation/Description: This spell prevents bodily contact between the creature touched (the caster or a willing recipient of the spell) and normal animals in a manner similar to the protection from evil spell. The spell does not inhibit monsters and animals of a magic nature (excluding giant normal animals). All attacks from normal animals incur a -2 penalty on hit rolls. Saving throws for the spell recipient against attacks from normal animals receive a +2 bonus. The material components of the spell consists of animal hair (any type), a chip of animal bone, and a drop of animal blood. Protection from Insects (Abjuration) Level: 3 Range: Touch Duration: 2 rounds/level Area of effect: Creature touched Components: V, S, M Casting Time: 9 Saving Throw: None Explanation/Description: This spell prevents bodily contact between the creature touched (the caster or a willing recipient of the spell) and normal insects in a manner similar to the protection from evil spell. The spell does not inhibit monsters and insects of a magic nature (excluding giant normal insects). All attacks from normal insects incur a -2 penalty on hit rolls. Saving throws for the spell recipient against attacks from normal insects receive a +2 bonus. The material components of the spell consist of ground insect bodies.
Back to see other alternate Paladins
Last Updated: 2.2.99
©1999 Lord Eadric