Mon 29 January 2001
· Involvement of young
generation · Access and set level of
education – provide exposure · Lack of confidence in younger
age groups · Unemployment · Participation · Education · Lack of unity · Organization · Education of post-Indonesia
generation · Psychological recovery and
resilience · Assess pros/cons of
globalisation for East Timor · Training re: economic
influence of other countries · National uncertainty re
future and lack of confidence · Participation in decision making.
- Funding – teachers, schools
- Training of teachers (especially
- Work with international NGO’s
- Improve regional education
- Raise teacher salaries as incentive
- Promote teaching as a career
- Language training: Portuguese (most
- Improve local product quality
- Cultural centres to educate re.
Benefits of other cultures
- Free press (international)
- Internet training and access to remain
‘up to date’
- Minimise negatives
- Work to limit imports with duties
- Outlaw duty free for
IN DECISOIN MAKING
- Use ‘youth groups’ for discussion
etc, then use as input in the Parliament/political process.
- Government openness to youth
representatives in traditional system
- Transparent government and dialogue
- Leadership training.