If you would like to contact the people behind The Quill, please send the mail to
email@example.com. If you have questions,
comments, or suggestions for a theme, send it there. All e-mails will be posted and answered here when the new issue comes out, and some e-mails may be answered both in here and privately.
Onto the mail:
The Quill was honored to be selected as one of Anime Web Turnpike's Weekly Web Picks in the week of May 17th. Thank you to everyone who supported us, to our readers and most especially, to the writers who contributed to making our first issue possible.
To the editor(s) of The Quill,
I'd like to commend you on making an original and thought-provoking FY webpage; a task that seems to be nearly impossible these days. Not only is the layout inventive, but it's a site that has more than "Suzaku has seven seishi, their names are blah blah blah", and it didn't start out with "This story is an incantation" on the entrance page. (bonus points right there)
It often seems that most FY pages out there are simply clones of some pre-existing page; they have the same background image, the same transparent GIF (with a small flaw at the top center) of the FY logo, the same midi playing, and the same opening lines. In short, they contribute nothing to the world of FY online, and only succeed in detracting from the truly creative people out there. It was refreshing indeed to visit such a well-put-together and original site. I hope that you are able to continue putting out issues. Please keep up the good work!
We're glad you liked the 'zine. It took us a while and quite a bit of juggling to get it the way we wanted it. Re the seishi names, poor KaiLing spent a while trying to think about how to present them...
yes, well, just saw the fanzine-thingie, and what of it there is is very well done....and, naturally, i have some suggestions...
- the fanfic analysis: why not have two people (with somewhat opposing opinons) analyze about 3 or 4 fics each issue? then you'd get the siskel and ebert (or however you spell their names) thing going. while kristi's analysis is good, and all, why not get her a partner?...or two...
- and, on that note, especialy with next month's issue in mind, why not have 2 people of opposing opinions write articles about the same thing? (kinda like the "opinions" articles of school newspapers".)
- then, of course, letters to the editor (assuming you get any ^^) saying things like "i really liked that article you did on miaka's eating habits", or "that biased article on nakago was uncalled for!" would be nifty to have....
- and what's a proper magazine w/o a bunch of adds? >: )= why not scatter some FY-related advertisements around? (i know ryuuen no miko did some milk ads, or people could write ads for certain fy merchandise, like cds, or the novels...and heck, we could just *make* some ads for random things like a miracle diet, or shampoo [with photoshop, naturally].)
- how 'bout featuring an FY song each issue? (wlel, that's just music-crazy me speaking >: )=
- um.....ran out of ideas....i'm sure to think of more later....maybe....oh, blah!!
Tetris no Miko >: )=
The Thingful Thinged Thingiemabobber of Things:
The Holy Webpage of Shaaa (a Hotohori page and religion):
Thank you for your mail.
re the Fanfic Feature: I like your idea of getting Kristi a partner, but there are some problems with it. It is extremely difficult to get anyone to commit to writing an article on a monthly basis. We were lucky enough to get Kristi to agree to do this, but I think it would be extremely difficult to get another person to do so. However, if someone would like to help with, or even do, the next fanfic feature, all that person would have to do is contact Kristi and get the information. Communication is the key here.
The same thing applies to the opinions on this month's topic. I would love it if people write opposing articles for any issue we have. However, I also don't want to beg people to write. Maybe it was a case of bad timing, since the 'zine opened towards the end of the school year, but people just aren't writing. If we beg them to write, then they feel obligated. I'd rather people offered to write. And if any one wants to write opposing articles on anything, please do so!
re letters to the editor: This is the letters to the editor. ^_^;;
The plans for the ads was something I thought of regarding announcing FY merchandise, but I did not consider the possibility of 'faked ads'. That's an interesting idea and could be looked at for further issues. As for FY songs, that would be featuring a work which is not created by fans and hence, somewhat inappropriate as a monthly thing. A future theme could be about the music of FY, though.
We are trying to make this more interactive and every bit of feedback helps. Thank you for your suggestions!