North Chagrin Reservation
4101 Fulton Parkway
Cleveland, OH 44144
Mission: To conserve natural resources and enhance people's lives through safe outdoor education, and recreation.
Open to the public: Yes
Exhibits: All-purpose trail, Buttermilk Falls Parkway Trail (4-mile trail from Chardon Road in Willoughby Hills, south along Buttermilk Falls Parkway to Mayfield Village's trails and two spurs west to SOM Center Road. Oxbow Lagoon is located off Chagrin River Road in North Chagrin Reservation, south of Chardon Road in Willoughby Hills. Strawberry Pond, is located at the corner of Strawberry Lane and Buttermilk Falls Parkway North Chagrin Reservation, off SOM Center Road in Willoughby Hills. North Chagrin Nature Center is located off Buttermilk Falls Parkway, off the Sunset Lane entrance of North Chagrin Reservation, off SOM Center Road in Mayfield Village. Oxbow Lagoon is located off Chagrin River Road, south of Chardon Road in Willoughby Hills.
Events: Many events take place in the North Chagrin Reservation, such as Nature at Night in the summer where people sit outdoors in the evening and watch ecology presentations and observe wildlife. There is also the annual Fall Foliage and Wood Duck Festival which features art and photography exhibits, presentations, refreshments, crafts, lectures, and nature hikes.
Additional Resources for Ecology: There is a monthly issue of Cleveland Metroparks that contains endless information regarding the reservations and ecology.
Behind the Scenes Efforts: Education is used as an effort to teach the community more about ecology. What the public does not see is all of the historical researchers and experts. They also have the Institute of the Great Outdoors program (the IGO) that helps everyone with skills for the outdoors. The main purpose of this program is to teach responsibility in wildlife. Also, there are detailed Nature Centers across the reservation in order to inform the public about its atmosphere and wildlife.
Volunteer Opportunities: Available for people at least sixteen years of age, volunteer opportunities are clearly stated on the site. Here is a list of their volunteer services:
- Brecksville Nature Center (Brecksville Reservation)
- CanalWay Center (Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation)
- EarthWords Nature Shops (Ohio & Erie Canal, Rocky River & North Chagrin Reservations)
- Garfield Park Nature Center (Garfield Reservation)
- Golf Clubhouse Services (Bedford, Brecksville, North Chagrin, & Rocky River Reservations)
- Historical Interpretation (throughout Park District)
- Institute of the Great Outdoors (based at Garfield Reservation)
- Look About Lodge (South Chagrin Reservation)
- Natural Resources Management (at 14 Cleveland Metroparks Reservations)
- Natural Resources Research (at 14 Cleveland Metroparks Reservations)
- NatureTracks (based at Garfield Reservation)
- North Chagrin Nature Center (North Chagrin Reservation)
- Park Operations (at 14 Cleveland Metroparks Reservations)
- Rocky River Nature Center (Rocky River Reservation)
- Youth Outdoors (based at Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation)
- Visual Communications (Brecksville Reservation)
Prepared by Group 8