Twisted Summer by: Laurel

Next

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Joey tries to find out who really killed Abby (yes!!!!!! Abby dies!!!!!) with the help of Pacey.

Category: Pacey/Joey, Mystery

Author's Note: This story is from Joey's point of view. Oh and thanks to Meg, whom I couldn't live without. You rule, Megan! (Quack quack!)

Twisted Summer

I expected that summer to be special, because I was finally sixteen. Dawson and I had tried the dating thing, but it didn't really work out. I accepted that. I had finally gotten over him. I also kinda started to get along with Pacey and Jen. (Big accomplishment for me=21) Anyway, I had no idea that by the end of that summer, nothing would ever be the same again.

My grandmother and step-grandfather had moved to Capeside because I went to Paris. Yes, I decided to take the offer. I mean, what an opportunity! So my grandparents moved from their home in Buffalo, Kentucky, to be there to take care of Alex.

I had fun in Paris, but I really missed seeing everyone in Capeside, and I couldn't wait to make up for lost time. I was pretty sad that Dawson was gone to film camp that summer. He wouldn't be there when I got back. I had kept in touch with Dawson and Jen, but it was Pacey that wrote me the most. But, around Christmas, his letters stopped coming. I figured that he just got tired of writing to me, which was understandable. I couldn't wait to talk to him. When I got off the airplane, Bessie and Bodie were there to pick me up. We drove back to our house and I gazed at the tourists along the creek.

"They're all swimming," Bessie pointed out as we swung into the gravel drive.

We could see the dock, where tanned bodies in bright bikinis and trunks cavorted in the water and sat on the floating raft some distance out. It was impossible to tell from where we were who was who.

My eyes swept over them eagerly. Is one of them Pacey, I wondered? I couldn't wait to tell him about my trip.

"Whew," Bodie said, turning off the ignition and the air-conditioning. "I'm ready for a tall glass of iced tea."

We opened the doors and walked inside. I looked around, remembering what it was like to live in this house. I was so glad to be home.

The house looked the same as ever. Very homey, and decorated all over with mine and Bessie's artwork. Mom's artwork hung in some places, and it pained me for a moment to look at hers. That feeling went away quickly.

"I almost forgot how peaceful it is here," I said. I walked to the window and paused, trying again to pick out Pacey's head among all those bobbing in the water, but there were too many. I had an expectant and satisfied feeling, knowing that everybody out there would welcome me.

Bodie emerged from the kitchen, holding two glasses of iced tea. "Here you go, Joey. It's good to have you home."

I smiled and reached over to hug him. I ended up knocking over one of the tea glasses. "Oops! I'm so sorry, Bodie!"

"It's okay, Joey. Go on ahead to the porch. I know there's someone out there you are looking for," Bodie said. I smiled apologetically, then gratefully, then went out the door. I sat down in a rocking chair and took a sip of tea.

There were pounding feet coming toward me and I heard Jen's eager voice. "Joey! Oh, I'm glad you're back!" She ran over and hugged me. I hugged back, sort of uncomfortably. "We're having a hot dog and marshmallow roast tonight. You have to come. Oh you look taller than ever. I think I'm gonna be 5'1 forever. Oh well. Get on your bathing suit and let's go cool off with everyone else." I was surprised at Jen's quick changing of subjects, but I laughed and went inside with Jen to get on my swimsuit.

It wasn't the water that drew me so strongly, of course, though I always enjoyed swimming. It was the people. Especially Pacey. I couldn't wait to see what had happened since I had left. I'd sent him a Christmas card, but he hadn't sent one back, which had been very disappointing. I hoped it didn't mean that he'd found a girlfriend already or something. What was I thinking? Me and Pacey? No way. But he was just so cute!

I threw my duffel bag on the floor beside the couch/bed and dug out my new swimsuit. I ran into the bathroom and put it on.

"Umm," Jen approved. "They'll spot that yellow all the way across the creek. It really sets off your brown hair. I like your hair, by the way."

I just half-smiled and looked down, since I don't really like people complimenting me. "Okay, I'm ready. Let's go," I said.

The favorite swimming place in the creek had always been the dock across from my house We sprinted to the door, then had to pause for a minute to say hi to my Grandma Liz. Liz was looking sort of frail, but she smiled and offered her cheek for a kiss. "Can't wait to get out there and see everybody again, I guess," she said.

Nobody mentioned Pacey, for which I was grateful We crossed the narrow strip of land and I scanned heads again, from closer view. There was Nellie Olsen, stunning in an electric blue bikini, and Cliff Elliott. A bunch of little kids were playing along the shore, laughing and splashing. I still didn't see Pacey.

The boards of the dock were warm under my feet as we walked out toward the end. Grant Bodean shoved a pretty girl I didn't recognize, and after she resurfaced, she jerked his foot and pulled him into the water, laughing.

I felt kind of self-conscious in the new swimsuit. Most of these kids, except Jen, hadn't seen me in anything this skimpy.

"Well, look at Joey. All grown up since last year," a male voice said behind me, and I turned expectantly. It was only Warren Gary. He was grinning, then took a run off the end of the dock in a pretty good dive.

"Want to race? Out around the buoy and back?" Jen challenged.

"Sure," I agreed, and then quickly before she could dive, "Isn't Pacey here?"

"He doesn't swim here anymore," Jen said, and plunged in before I could reply.

I followed her, getting a late start because her answer had taken me off guard. Didn't swim here anymore? Why not? I wanted to ask, but Jen was already ahead of me.

I didn't get a chance to ask her privately until we got out of the creek, dripping. Bessie had invited her to eat with us, so we headed back together. The other kids headed for home, too.

"What's this about Pacey not swimming here? Why not?" I demanded.

She shot me an obelisk glance, wringing water out of her hair. "Well, you know, it was kind of awkward, after everything that happened. I guess he didn't feel comfortable with the rest of us, especially when Grant and his brother Bill started coming back.

I came to a stop by my house. "What are you talking about? Why was it awkward? We always did stuff together, everybody at the lake. What did you guys not bother to tell me?"

Jen looked at me in what appeared to be consternation. She swallowed, and I prodded her with a swipe of my towel across her legs.

She didn't see any joke, though. In fact, I could have sworn she'd gone pale.

"You're not kidding, are you?"

"What?" I practically snarled. "Did something happen since I left for France that I need to know about?"

Bessie called from the porch, "Hurry up, girls, and get changed. Dinner's ready."

"Jen, stop trying to be funny," I said, though I already knew from her stricken expression that her display of shock wasn't acting.

"Geez, it never occurred to me you hadn't heard. I know that your family isn't much for letter writing, but I thought for sure your Grandma Liz would have told you."

I wanted to shake her, and by now I was getting scared. "Tell me," I said, as calmly as I could.

She had to moisten her lips, even though she'd come out of the creek a few moments ago. "Pacey stopped hanging out with Dawson and me and everybody after his brother Doug went to prison for murdering Abby Morgan."

For a moment the day turned dark, as if the spots before my eyes blotted out part of the sun.

Abby was Grant and Bill Bodean's cousin. And Doug, even though she disliked him, was a good guy. He was a police officer, and if that wasn't enough, he was Pacey's brother. Doug and my cousin Terah had been dating since right before I left.

My knees were suddenly unsteady, and my stomach felt as if it were going to turn inside out.

"I don't believe it," I said when I could speak.

"Joey and Jen, hurry up," Bessie called, and I tried to make my paralyzed lungs take in another breath before I died. Dazed, appalled, I let Jen take hold of my arm and steer me toward the house. I sent her a beseeching look as we climbed the steps.

"How? How did it happen?" I murmured. "I can't eat," I said under my breath. "Jen, I think maybe I'm going to be sick. Tell me."

Later, as Jen steered me toward my bedroom/den, she said, "We'll have to go to the table or Bessie and Bodie and your grandparents will be asking questions. I don't want to get them all going again, not when everything finally seems to have settled down. I'll meet you as soon as we eat dinner, and tell you everything I know."

She left me at the door of the bathroom, which I opened without seeing or feeling it.

It can't be true, I thought wildly. There couldn't have been a murder at Capeside. Especially not to a girl I knew, or involving the brother of the guy I'd been best friends with since I was about five.

I'd never be able to eat with this hanging over me. Yet I knew they were all waiting in the kitchen for me.

I gulped, swallowed, and took a few deep breaths. My fingers trembled as I peeled off the wet suit and left it lying in a heap on the floor.

I wanted to flop backward on the bed and lie there, staring at the ceiling, until Jen came back to tell me what had happened. Instead, I found a pair of shorts and a T-shirt and put them on.

I felt as if my heart had been crushed by a gigantic hand, hurting me worse than I could ever have imagined.

Next

Email Laurel

LaLizzie13@aol.com


Back to Laurel's Stories | Back to Fan Fiction | Back to the Main Page


This page has been visited times.