My Favorite Mistake Part Two by: Petra

Previous | Next

Jen is at home trying to get some homework done. She's been reading the same line over and over again. There was no way she could concentrate. As usual. Thinking about her con-versation with Abby Jen wasn't all of a sudden not so sure anymore of her decision. After all Abby was right, when playing games someone was bound to lose. Then Jen thought about Dawson, how he made her smile and she could feel a warm shiver inside herself. Yes, defi-nitely, it was all worth it. Just a tiny weenie chance of maybe getting together with Dawson again she was ready to do almost anything even if it meant tearing Joey and Dawson apart.


Joey turns off the radio and for the first time she doesn't try to occupy her mind with other things in order not to think about... Jack. It was 4 o'clock in the afternoon and she was sup-posed to meet Dawson at 8 as she had promised him at school. She couldn't possibly go there and pretend like everything was ok. Because there wasn't. Something changed. She of course liked Dawson. Probably loved him. She didn't know at that moment. Too confused to clear her feelings. How on earth could she then tell Dawson and explain when she herself didn't know what was going on. And why bother upsetting him over something that she might solve on her own? In that second Joey knew what she had to do. Meet Jack and confront him.


Dawson looks at his watch. Nervously he reads the watch: 20 past 8. He was getting worried. Where was Joey?? Should he phone but then why didn't she phone him if something had came up? He remembers Joey leaving lunch because she felt sick and Dawson just figures Joey didn't feel better again and probably she was already asleep and forgot to call him. The thought of her being unfaithful to him hadn't crossed his mind once.


"Joey! What a nice surprise! What brings you here?" Jack asked.

"Jack. I have something to talk to you about." Joey decided to come right to the point would save them both time and strength.

"Sure. What's up? You sound kind of serious!" Jack said.

"Well, it is. What do you say about walking to the docks?" Joey offered.

"Fine by me." Jack agreed.

As they walked a weird silence followed and from second to second Joey found it harder to speak again.

"Joey? What is it?"

"I always hated when people cheated. I mean cheated on their partners. You know one min-ute saying I love you to your boyfriend or girlfriend and the next minute they do the same to another person." Joey started.

"?" Was Jack's expression.

Joey realized that was not exactly a good start. "What is love really?"

Joey said out loud.


"Can I come in?" Jen asked already half stepping in Dawson's room.

"Hi Jen. You were the last person I expected to see." Dawson honestly said.

"Really? I guess I made some stupid things in the last couple of days."

"We are all teenagers. You've been already forgiven."

Jen couldn't believe her ears. Dawson must be in a really good mood. Well, the better for her.

"Great. But nevertheless I want to say I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done it, you know, kissing you. Abby dared me to kiss the next guy passing and when I turned around well that was you. Believe me it was as much as a suprise for me as it was for you."

"That explains a lot."

"Yeah" Jen said thoughtfully.

"Jen. I'm worried about you. I don't think hanging around with Abby Morgan is the best com-pany right now."

"I appreciate that but I really think I can take care of her. Why I came here was not only to apologize but also because I want our friendship back."

"So do I, Jen."

Jen thought this was easier than she thought.


"My last girlfriend cheated on me. Funny you mentioned that. I broke up when I found out. You know I think it is one of the most terrible things in life that can happen to you. Not only do you love the person that hurt you the most but you have to stop loving her, too. Unless you forgive the other person but that wasn't a possibility for me." Jack told Joey.

Joey watched him while Jack was speaking. There she was, talking about how much she hated cheaters and what was she? About to become one. Finally as of thinking clearly again she felt she was in a dangerous situation. Jack stopped and looked deeply into her eyes all of a sudden as if he could read her mind. As he came closer she couldn't move. Too excited and too confused and too ripped apart between doing "it" or not doing "it". So she lust let it happen. There was some electricity in the air. Her stomach turned and she felt something new that she had never felt before. Not with Dawson not with anybody else. Something she was sure she heard about but never got to experience. Now the moment was there. Her moment. Jack's lips touched hers and she kept her eyes closes as they both shared a ten-der, caring and sweet kiss. Was she dreaming? Maybe but as long as she could have this great feeling in her body she was not about to let her wake up.


"So friends then." Jen said as she was leaving Dawson's room. Jen knew she could only take one step at a time. As oblivious Dawson can be she didn't want to risk of him sensing about her intentions. So she reluctantly left knowing it was the best thing to do. Never rush things!

"Bye. See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, good night. See you." Dawson said, thinking Jen was really a nice girl. He always knew that.


Joey opened her eyes and realized it was not a dream. She was still standing there with Jack. Kind of relieved but as well as disappointed. Now she had to deal with the circum-stances, right? Or did she have a choice here?

"It's been ages since I felt like this about someone" Jack told Joey. So it wasn't only me. Joey thought he deserved to know what she was feeling.

"Me too." She said not daring to look him into his eyes.

"We have to keep it a secret, Jack. Give me some time ok? I have to think about everything."

Jack unwillingly nodded. "I am here. But not forever. Don't forget that."


Crying Jen was lying in her bed unable to find some comfort in sleeping.

Have you ever loved somebody so much it makes you cry?
Have you ever needed something so bad you can't sleep at night?
Have you ever tried to find the words but they don't come out right?
Have you ever, have you ever?

Have you ever been in love been in love so bad
You'd do anything to make them understand?
Have you ever had someone steal your heart away?
You'd give up anything up to make them feel the same
Have you ever searched for words to get you in their heart
But you don't know what to say and you don't know where to start

Chorus

Have you finally found the one you've given your heart to
Only to find that one won't give their heart to you?
Have you ever closed your eyes and dreamed that they were there
And all you can do is wait for that day when they will care?

Chorus

Have You Ever – Brandy

Joey went home on her own. It was beyond eight o'clock and she had stood up Dawson. Torn. That's how she felt. Her feelings for Dawson were still the same but there was also something about Jack. She was too tired to analyze it right now. The only thing she wanted now was her bed. Sleep and forget all about the Dawsons and Jacks and her mixed feelings. What was that old saying? The next day everything looks brighter. Something like that. She crossed her fingers that it would become true for her as she crawled into her bed and fell asleep the very second she laid down.


Dawson woke up on guard the next morning. He had a feeling that something terrible would happen. He gets dressed and leaves to meet Joey. They always walked to school together.


"Get up, Joey. For the last time now. You'll be late for school!" Bessie takes Joey's blank away from her and forces Joey with that to open her eyes.

"I don't want to." Joey said sleepily.

"That is no option, I'm afraid." Bessie said with no sign of compassion.


Joey closed the door behind herself, so not in the mood for dealing with school matters or her confusing love life. But as she looks up she sees Dawson standing there smiling at her. Great she thinks. Just my luck.

"Hey, good morning sunshine." Dawson chirped cheerfully.

"Morning" Joey says back. That can't be happening. It is too early for solving her problem. While Dawson started telling her about his new movie project, she partly listened and partly contemplated about what to do.

"You are a cheater" her voice in her head wouldn't stop playing over and over. I am not, she determinedly said back to that voice in her mind. That's when she knew what she had to do.

"Dawson" she said, interrupting him.

"Yeah?" Dawson said clueless.

"I know this is going to sound insane. And in a way it is, I guess. See, I still like you. A lot.

"You like me?" Dawson asked confused.

"Yeah, but that's not my point. I don't know how to break this to you but Dawson I think I'm in love with someone else. Don't ask me how it happened and don't ask for an explanation. Because I can't give you any. It's just that I don't want to become a hypocritical cheater be-cause there's too much people like that out there. It's over. I'm sorry." And with that Joey left.

Dawson wasn't sure if what just had happened to him was true. He still was in a shock state. He was too numb to go after her. So he stood there. And one thought crossed his mind. In this second he knew whatever was going to happen things would never be the same again.


Joey didn't know what to expect but she felt not better. On the opposite: worse. She hurt Dawson she could tell from his expression. But it was for the best for all of them. It was not fair of anyone to be with someone then you thought about someone else all the time. It was not fair to the person you were with, it was not fair to the person you wanted and you were not being fair to yourself. She made the right decision.


"Jen. I'm so glad you're here." Dawson couldn't think of anybody else to talk since Pacey was too busy with Andie. Also he didn't want to "bother" him. What did he say? He was tired of being Dawson Leery's sidekick. Well, he was friends with Jen too and what were friends for?

"Hey Dawson." Jen said looking up smiling. Her smile faded when she said how upset Daw-son looked. "What's wrong?" Jen asked immediately.

"Can we talk?"

"Sure. How about skipping first class?"

"Good idea."


"Jack. I did it. I broke up with Dawson this morning."

Jack looked at her not quite knowing what to think about that. Was it good? Or bad?

"Really? I thought you needed time to think about everything. You know you didn't have to rush things."

"Why? Aren't you happy I chose you? Cause that's what I did when I said to Dawson and I quote *It's over*.

"Calm down, Joey. I didn't say I wasn't happy about. I was just surprised you made up your mind so quickly. Are you sure you did the right thing?" Joey looks in his eyes and before they start kissing each other she says "Yes" and finding herself meaning it.

"How could she do that?" Dawson was devastated.

"Weren't there any signs in the past that led you to believe she was falling for someone else? Was she different in any way?" Jen tried to help. She knew about Jack because of Abby. But she would've never thought Joey would actually dump him. Dump him after such a short time she knew Jack.

"No. Wait, yesterday she didn't feel good. I remember we were sitting there at lunch. Jack had joined us but as soon as he started talking Joey left claiming she felt sick."

Sick of you probably, Jen thought.

"I am so sorry" Jen lied.

"What am I gonna do now? I mean it took us forever to finally get together. First it was be-cause of you, then she didn't believe me when I wanted her and now what? We were to-gether like what? Two weeks? I can't believe she dumped me. It's ending although it hasn't really started yet." Dawson said sadly.

Jen looked at him, honestly not knowing what to say to make him feel better. But she thought what never was wrong was a hug when someone felt down. So she hugged him. Dawson feeling left alone was surprised at first but then enjoying the moment and he didn't quite know how on earth they started kissing...


Joey avoided Dawson the whole morning. She hadn't thought about the consequences her action had. She didn't want to lose his friendship. But he needed to get over her first.


Dawson waited for Jen. This kiss brought them together in a way. It seemed right at the mo-ment and even now it felt right being together with Jen. Dawson looks around and suddenly sees Joey. And Jack.


"So I'll see you around three?" Jack asked Joey.

"Yeah. Later." They kissed each other goodbye on the cheeks not wanting to attract the at-tention of the pupils that were around.

Joey knew she had made the right decision. As she walked off she saw Dawson standing in a distance not looking at her. Let him come to you. When he's ready he'll try and speak with you again. Joey assured herself and intended on walking on by. But then she saw Jen com-ing towards him. Hugging him close. That caught her attention. And she was right. The next second she gave him a kiss on his lips and Dawson let it happen. He even seemed to enjoy it rather to anticipate. Joey made a fast exit.


(We can see now images of Dawson and Joey while the song plays. The two of them being together, Joey telling Dawson it's over, Dawson's shocked expression on his face, Joey kissing Jack – Dawson watching, Joey watching Jen kissing Dawson...)

I want you for myself
I don't want nobody else
To try to intervene or come between
You and me
'Cos we've got a good thing, yeah

Why should I play the field
When it's you that I want?
I'm not the jealous type
But I ain't gonna front
We should just settle down and stop fooling around
'Cos we both feel for each other
So why should there be those other lovers?

I know what love is, so I know
That my feelings are true
'Cos I feel for you
But sometimes I feel hurt
'Cos I play the fool
So if loving you alone is wrong
I don't wanna be right

Chorus

Let's get legitimate and concentrate on us
So when we're intimate, our love is based on trust
Love is so good when there is just
Two people involved
Just me and you
'Cos the thought of you with someone else
just makes me crazy, baby

Chorus


End of part TWO. What do you say? Whoever wants to know what happens next drop me a line and tell me what you think about my stuff because I want to improve my writing skills and with that I need YOU to tell me what you liked and not liked. Thanks.

Previous | Next

Email Petra

romance17@gmx.at


Back to Petra's Stories | Back to Fan Fiction | Back to the Main Page


This page has been visited times.