Tale of Two Sides: Chapter 1
TALE OF TWO SIDES: CHAPTER 1


___________

“She who dares, wins.”

-Spice Girls



Malachite stood at his window looking out over the vast, dark Nega-Verse. He had lived there as long as he could remember. It was his only home.
Malachite wore his silver hair straight to his shoulders. He wore a gray uniform with sky blue lining and a cape which flowed to his feet.
While he was preoccupied at the window, Zoycite gently knocked on the door and entered the room.

Her golden brown hair was pulled back into a low ponytail. Her suit was gray also, but with green lining. She had green eyes which shone like emeralds.

“Destruction has arrived, my love,” Zoycite said softly.

“Very good,” Malachite said, still staring out the window. “Send him to me.”

“Yes, sir.”



********************************



Dezerite walked down the dark, damp corridor. Only the scattered candles on the walls provided light. The ceiling dripped from the moisture inside the gloomy cave.
She reached the end and entered a large throne room.

Dezerite had short blond hair and wore a green tank-top with black pleather pants. She had green eyes with specks of brown and gold.

She bowed in front of Queen Beryl, who sat on her throne.

“Here is your mission,” Queen Beryl said, telekenetically passing a large manila envelope to Dezerite.

Dezerite took the envelope and read the title labeled on the front. “TOP SECRET.”

“Do not fail me,” Beryl warned.




********************************



Marasnite sat at the table, impatiently tapping her finger. She looked the bar and sighed. She looked at her watch again. Two minutes had passed since last time she looked.
Marasnite had light brown hair, layered, to her shoulders. Her uniform was much like Dezerite’s, but instead of a blue top she wore a burgundy one.

She sighed and took another drink of her Pepsi and continued tapping. She was about to leave when she saw him.

Jedite ran over to her table and quickly sat down. He leaned over the table.

“If about anybody asks,” he said, “I was here the whole time.”

“You were supposed to be here three hours ago,” Marasnite complained.

“I slept in,” Jedite explained. “My alarm clock didn’t go off.”

“Sure,” Marasnite said. “Just order something to eat.”

Jedite turned around in his seat. He noticed a waitress with long, wavy brown hair. He immediately tried to get her attention.

“Excuse me! Waitress!”

The waitress turned around and was none other than Neflite. He walked over to the table and picked Jedite up by the scruff of his neck.

“Very funny,” he said seriously.

“Hey bro,” Jedite said. “S’up?”

Neflite put him down and sat at the table.

“What are you guys doin’ here?” He asked.

“Well, I was going to go out for breakfast with a certain someone until Dezerite showed up,” Marasnite explained.

“You guys meetin’ Dezerite too?” Neflite asked.

“She called you?” Jedite asked.

“Yep.”

“Have any of you met her?” Marasnite asked.

“No,” Neflite replied. “But I heard she’s a tough bitch. One of Beryl’s finest.”

“Excuse me?” Destinite asked, standing by the table. “Are you guys waiting for Dezerite?”

“You her?” Neflite asked.

“I wish,” Destinite said, sitting down at the table. “She is so awesome. Well, from what I’ve heard.”

“Yeah, we’re meeting her,” Marasnite said. “I’m Marasnite,” she said shaking her hand. “This is Jedite and Neflite. And you?”

“Silly me, I forgot,” Destinite said, blushing. “I’m Destinite.” Destinite had short brown hair and brown eyes.

“Hello!”

“Oh god,” Marasnite groaned. “Here comes Razorite.”

Razorite ran over and sat down at the table.

“Are you waiting for Dezerite, too?” Neflite asked.

“I’m Destinite.”

“Yeah,” Razorite said. “I got the call too.”

“So what to you guys know ‘bout this Dezerite chick?” Jedite asked.

“I’ve met her once,” Marasnite admitted. “But I didn’t get any impression from her.”

“I heard she’s hot!” Razorite said, hitting the table.

“I heard she used to be an assassin,” Destinite added.

“She was,” Neflite said. “Killed a man without remorse.”

“I heard that she softened through the years,” Jedite said. “She couldn’t kill anymore.”

“Seems you know enough about me,” Dezerite said, pulling out a chair and sitting down. “No need for introduction, eh?” Dezerite propped her feet onto the table.

The group stared at Dezerite in awe. She wore black cut off shorts, a bright yellow tanktop and sneaker sandles. Her hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail. This was their leader?

“You’re Dezerite?” Neflite asked skeptically.

“The one and only,” she replied, pulling out a manila envelope. She tossed it onto the table causing the contents to spill out, including various photos.

“This is your mission,” she explained. “Any questions?”

“Just one,” Jedite said eyeing the pictures. “What is our mission?”

“Our mission,” Dezerite told them, “is to seek and destroy one villain. His name is Malachite.

“He has a wife named Zoycite who is in the photo Jedite is holding. She is Malachite’s most loyal follower.

“He supposedly has three children, one boy and two girls. They are reported mising and assumed dead. Malachite does not care though.

“He has killed and tortured over a thousand people. A reported one hundred of those victims are still alive, although their whereabouts unknown. The rest are dead.

“Suspicions are that Malachite is planning to attack Beryl, and we have to stop him.

“Any questions?” Dezerite asked, concluding her speech.

“Where can we find him?” Marasnite asked.

“That’s part of the mission,” Dezerite said, smiling.

“Why us?” Jedite asked.

“Because you are the best,” Dezerite said. “You guys are all Beryl’s got. All her youma (monsters) followed Malachite when he turned against her.”

“Are you sure we can do this?” Razorite asked.

“What if we fail?” Destinite asked.

“Yes, you can do this,” Dezerite replied. “You won’t fail, but if you do the whole Dark Kingdom will fall and we’ll be bowing to Lord Malachite.”

Everyone sat in silence reconsidering the mission.

“Don’t bother reconsidering,” Dezerite said. “You have no choice. Well, I believe this meeting is adjourned. Now we prepare for battle.”



___________