Tale of Two Sides: Chapter 8
TALE OF TWO SIDES: CHAPTER 8


___________

The room was empty. Dezerite slowly walked into the room and looked around.

“Empty,” Razorite noted.

“Very good,” Marasnite said.

Dezerite kept quiet and stayed alert. Her eyes darted across the silent room. Vamp cautiously walked over to Dezerite and put his hand on her shoulder. Dezerite didn’t even flinch.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” Dezerite said. “They’re gone.”

“Vanished without a trace,” Marasnite said.

“No,” Dezerite said. “Turn around!”

They all turned around to see Malachite standing in the doorway, but it was too late. He shot his gun and ran off, hitting Marasnite in the leg. She screamed and fell to the ground.

Jedite knelt down to help just as Dezerite ran off.

“Dezerite!” Jedite called, but Dezerite ignored him.

Vamp and Razorite chased after her while the rest took care of Marasnite. When they caught sight of her, she was right behind Malachite. They continued their chase down the dark hallway.

Dezerite pushed on with every ounce of determination she had, although it felt like her heart was going to explode. Razorite had stopped long ago but Vamp still ran behind her. Malachite seemed unaffected by the run.

Suddenly, Dezerite was slammed against the wall by someone. Malachite stopped, curious as to what happened.

Dezerite got up and was head to head with Destruction. Vamp caught up and stood in front of Dezerite to protect her.

“Look what we have here,” Destruction said, “a traitor.”

“Ah yes,” Malachite said. “I remember you. It’s too bad we don’t tolerate traitors.”

“Let him go!” Dezerite said, stepping in front of Vamp. “I’m the one you want.”

“I figured you’d coward away like you did years ago,” Malachite said. “Once again you amaze me.”

“I’ve got more tricks up my sleeve,” Dezerite said.

“Like what?” Destruction asked.

“Like this,” Dezerite said. She pulled out her gun and shot Destruction in the foot. Destruction screamed and fell down, clutching his foot.

“Now then,” Dezerite said, putting her gun away. “Where were we?”

“Probably at the part where I was going to persuade you to join my side,” Malachite said.

“I’m afraid I’ll have to decline,” Dezerite said.

“Think of it,” Malachite said, an evil gleam in his eye. “Father and daughter against Queen Beryl. We could rule the Nega-Verse together.”

“Oh I’m so excited,” Dezerite said in a boring tone. “When do we start?”

“Don’t mock me,” Malachite said, taking out his gun. “I could kill you very easily. Either way, I’ll get what I want.”

Dezerite took out her gun and threw it on the floor. She removed her whole utility belt and thrust it upon the floor also.

“Go, Vamp,” she said. “Check on Marasnite.”

Vamp started to protest but Dezerite shot him a look. Regretting it, he turned around and left.

“What are you going to do now?” Dezerite asked. “You can kill me now, unarmed. Just like you tried to have Zoycite killed. Assassinated to be more accurate. You tried to have me killed by a bomb. Now here’s your chance to do the job yourself. Gun me down and live with guilt for the rest of your pitiful life.”

“I do not feel remorse,” Malachite growled.

“Oh really,” Dezerite said. “What about Zoycite? Your wife, the one you loved. The one you cared for hanging on a tiny thread of life. You let your pride get in the way of your love. Feeling guilty yet?”

“No!” Malachite yelled. “I do not feel remorse!”

“I can feel the guilt grow stronger as you grow weaker,” Dezerite said.

“No!”

“Then kill me now,” Dezerite said, bowing on one knee. “And let the guilt grow.”

Malachite threw his gun down and walked off.

“It’s not over yet.”

“No it isn’t,” Dezerite sighed to herself. “Not yet.”



___________