The Truth About Crows and Friendship
The Truth About Crows and Friendship

Chapter 3

___________

Marasnite awoke in a musty cell. She sat up and saw a rat scurry by.
"Ick," she said, standing up.
She looked around and took in her surroundings. The cell was much different than the ones she had been in. The walls, ceiling and floor were a dull grayish green. She was about to sit down on an old rotted bench when she heard a door open and close and approaching footsteps. Destruction appeared on the other side of the bars.
"Let me outta here," Marasnite growled, crossing her arms.
"On one condition," Destruction said.
"And what would that be?" Marasnite asked.
"Only that you join Malachite to take over the Nega-Verse and kill your sister," Destruction explained very briefly.
"Is that all?" Marasnite asked. "Well, treat me nicely and I'll consider it."
Destruction pulled out a key and opened the cell door. He gestured for Marasnite to exit. Smiling, Marasnite quickly left the cell.
Together they walked down a long hallway, until they came to a large iron door. Destruction reached his hand out and opened the door. A large chair sat in the middle of the room surrounded with large monitors and equipment. The chair turned slowly.
"Ahh!" Marasnite yelped when she saw Malachite sitting in the chair. "I mean, AHH-lo!"
"Ah, my dear Marasnite," Malachite said, standing. "How wonderful to see you."
"I can't say the feeling is mutual," Marasnite said. "I don't know whether I should be thankful you don't want me dead, fearful for my life, or mad that you've tried to kill me."
"Being thankful I don't want you died will suffice," Malachite said. "Now tell me," he said, sitting down and pressing a button on the arm of his chair, "are you not having a conflict with your sister Dezerite?" Various pictures of Dezerite appeared on the screens, including BIOS, action shots, profiles, etc.
"Sure," Marasnite said, looking at the screens. "Why should the younger sibling get the leadership role and the oldest sibling sit back and watch?"
"Precisely," Malachite said. "Why should she? That's why I'm giving you the chance to take charge."
Marasnite thought for a moment. "Tell me more."
"I want you to tell me the exact location of your sister and her teammates," Malachite said. "And I'll make you leader."


******************************


"Yoo- who, Nega-Verse to Dezerite. Come in," Jedite said, waving his hand in front of Dezerite's unblinking eyes.
"She ain't coming to," Neflite said.
"She's dead!" Destinite screamed and started to cry.
"She's not dead!" Zed yelled at Destinite who was now hysterical.
"Dezerite," Vamp said, shaking her, "wake up."
"Go away!" Dezerite said. "I'm sleepin'!"
"You can't sleep with your eyes open, Dez," Razorite said.
"Watch me!"
Neflite open his water bottle and dumped it on Dezerite's face.
"Holy friggin' jeez!" Dezerite said, jumping up. "That's cold."
"I know," Neflite said, smiling.
"Marasnite's missing,' Jedite said.
"She is?" Dezerite asked. She thought for a moment. "Oh yeah....."
"Yep," Razorite said. "Destruction took her."
"Okay, now it's war," Dezerite said. She jumped up, but still being dizzy she fell again.
"What are you doing?" Neflite asked.
"We're attacking A.S.A.P.," Dezerite said, getting up slowly and pacing. "I'm tired of sneaking around. Now that he knows where we are there's no point in hiding."
"He doesn't know our plan," Jedite said.
"You're alive!" Destinite yelped, hugging Dezerite.
"Get this nutcase offa me!" Dezerite said, pushing off Destinite.
"Are you sure you want to do this?" Vamp asked.
"Absolutely," Dezerite said. "Let's just barge in there and kill the bastard!"
"What if it ends up like last time?" Jedite asked.
"Well, with Narky-boy on our side," Dezerite said, "that shouldn't happen."
"What if Marasnite joins Malachite's side?" Zed asked.
"Why would she do that?" Dezerite asked.
"Well," Jedite said. "Earlier when you were out, she said how she'd rather be leader."
"Oh really?" Dezerite asked. "Why didn't anybody tell me?!"
"We didn't want you to get upset," Vamp said.
"I'm not upset!" Dezerite raged.
"Oh sure your not," Neflite said. "It's not written all over your face."
"Shut up!" Dezerite said, her eyes blazing. "Let's go!"
She ordered everyone to pack everything up and they headed out.


***************************


Marasnite sat alone in one of Malachite's many rooms. She kept her self somewhat entertained by spinning in a swivel chair which was in the middle of the room.
"Wow, this is fun," Marasnite mumbled in a dull tone. "Woo-who."
Marasnite sighed and stood up. She stumbled a little then regained her balance. She left the boring room and went to explore in the sub-levels.


***************************


"We're entering here," Dezerite said, pointing to a blueprint, "in the sub-levels."
"Maybe we should wait a night," Zed suggested.
"Yeah," Destinite agreed. "We've hardly gotten any sleep."
"Of course nobody's gotten any sleep," Dezerite snapped, "because you stay up half the night crying and keep us all up!"
"But I'm tired!" Destinite wailed.
"Quit complaining!" Dezerite barked. "We're going there now and getting it over with."
"Come on, Dez," Vamp said. "You're really tired and acting really bitchy."
"No I'm not!"
"I bet you," Razorite said, "that when we get in there, we'll meet up with Marasnite. She'll try to convince us that she's not on Malachite's side even though she is and she'll get us all captured."
"What did you just say?" Jedite asked.
"Huh?" Razorite asked, as if coming out of a daze.
"Never mind," Jedite sighed.
"Why are we standing here, wasting our time listening to Razorite's useless babble?" Dezerite asked. "Let's go!"
"Dez, I think we should rest," Zed said.
"I don't care what you think," Dezerite said.
"You're acting like a bitch, Dezerite," Neflite said.
"Me? A bitch?" Dezerite asked. "Of course I'm a bitch!"
"Dez, please," Destinite said. "We're all really tired."
"Fine," Dezerite said, rubbing her temple and trying not to explode. "Set up camp."
After everything was set up, everyone settled in and fell asleep, except for Dezerite. She sat up in the tent listening to all the sounds of the night.

___________