The Truth about Crows and Friendship
The Truth About Crows and Friendship

Chapter 4

___________

As Marasnite headed down the hallway toward the stairs to the sub-levels she was blocked by a tall figure. Destruction took off his sunglasses and looked down at Marasnite.
"Where are you going?" Destruction asked.
"Exploring," Marasnite said sternly.
"I don't think so," Destruction said. "Sub-levels are off limits."
"Well, sorry for finding something to do," Marasnite said in a snotty tone. She turned around and started to walk away.
"Malachite would like to speak to you," Destruction said to the back of Marasnite's retreating head.
"Woo hoo," Marasnite said boringly. She made it up to the third level and headed to Malachite's "office". She opened the door and walked in.
"Ever heard of knocking?" Malachite asked.
"No," Marasnite said, sitting in a swivel chair.
"Are you going to tell me where your sister is?" Malachite asked.
"I don't know where she is," Marasnite said calmly with a smile.
"What do you mean you don't know?!" Malachite roared, his eyes blazing.
"What do I mean?" Marasnite asked. "Well, let me tell you what I mean. I just so happened to had mentioned to my fellow teammates, except for Dezerite, that I wanted to be leader. So now that I'm missing they probably told Dez. Right about now she's rippin' and wants to charge in here ASAP and they only way we can capture her is for me to intercept her and lead her right into your hands. To do that I need access to every inch of this place. Do I make myself clear?"
"Of course," Malachite said, calming down. "Permission granted."
"Thank you," Marasnite said, leaving the room.


***************************


Dezerite woke up startled as Vamp gently shook her. She rubbed her eyes and stretched.
"Did you sleep well?" Vamp asked.
"No," Dezerite said, rubbing her back. "Not at all. In fact, I feel like hell."
"Cheer up, Dez," Jedite said. "Today we're going in to get Maras."
"Ah, yes," Dezerite said. "And when we do get her, I'm going to wrap my fingers around her scrawny little neck and..." Dezerite pretended to choke the air.
"Calm down, Dez," Razorite said.
"Yeah, don't get all worked up," Destinite said.
"Yeah, well, what can you do?" Dezerite asked, standing up. "Okay people, pack it up. We're heading outta here." With that, she left the tent.
"Well good-morning to you too," Neflite said on his way into the tent.
Dezerite picked up Celeste and stroked her head. They both looked up when a crow cawed and soared across the sky.

___________