News and Current Affairs
substitute, 42 others disqualified
THE COMMISSION on Elections rejected the certificate of candidacy of Leyte Rep.
Imelda Marcos substitute and 42 other candidates running for local positions in
Metro Manila in an en
banc resolution today.
Comelec executive director Resurrecion Borra said Dr. Francisco Tahanan could not be
appointed as Kilusang Bagong Lipunans new standard bearer even if Marcos had
withdrawn from the race last Sunday because the commission has already considered him as a
Meanwhile, 42 Metro Manila candidates running for congressional, city, municipal and
provincial positions were disqualified due to different violations of the Omnibus Election
Borra said their votes would still be counted but their proclamation would automatically
be suspended in case they win the elections.
Commissioner Evalyn Fetalino said among these candidates were Parañaque mayoralty
candidate Reynaldo Casacop Olivarez and Makati vicemayoralty bet actor Edu Manzano.
The Comelecs second division disqualified Manzano because of his dual
citizenship as a Filipino and American citizen.
Manzano, however, denied the accusations, saying he did not pledge allegiance to the
The Local Government Code disqualifies those who are holding dual citizenship from running
for any elective post.
to file raps vs 15 teachers in Central Visayas
THE OFFICE of the Ombudsman in the second district of Central Visayas is now preparing to
file charges against 15 public school teachers for receiving gifts from the family of a
candidate running for a congressional position.
Ombudsman director Virginia Palanca said the teachers admitted receiving motorcycles as
gifts from the family of lasttermer Representative Crisologo Abines in exchange for
altering election returns.
The Ombudsmans office also learned that Abines bribed the teachers to create the
alterations in favor of his wife, Priscilla, who seeks to be his successor.
AFP chief claims
election was peaceful
ARMED FORCES of the Philippines chief Clemente Mariano said the election had been
relatively peaceful and orderly as of the closing of voting precincts at 3 p.m. today.
Mariano hopes the peaceful conduct of the elections would continue until the counting and
canvassing as he assured that military troops will remain in their designated areas.
Incidents reported continue to be isolated even as Mariano admitted the number has
exceeded that of 1992.
Earlier, Philippine National Police chief Santiago Aliño also maintained that the conduct
of the election remains peaceful and manageable compared to the previous elections.
Aliño has ordered PNP units in areas where incidents of violence have been reported to
conduct the necessary investigation.
He added that of the areas identified as election hot spots, the latest
incident of violence are most prevalent in Masbate.
ALLEGED FLYING voters hired by
reelectionist Montalban Mayor Pedro Cuerpo were arrested today while attempting to
cast their votes, prompting the principal of San Isidro Elementary School to stop the
voting in two precincts in this town of Rizal.
At least 75 of the alleged flying voters have been cast when Principal Lucille Mendoza
stopped the counting and later by the group of rival mayoralty candidate Lito San Diego.
Mendoza said only four policemen were assigned in the area inspite of her earlier request
for a contingent from the Philippine Marines to be sent to the school in anticipation for
any electionrelated violence, after she received death threats last April.