Make your own free website on


    John was born about 1834 in TN. He married Miss Louisa Harwood near Trenton, TN by 1858. Louisa died in February 1861 and John immediately joined Company E. of the 7th Tennessee Cavalry which was brigaded with Gen. Forrest's old Regiment throughout the entire Civil War. He was wounded at Union City, Tenn., and, again, at Harrisburg, MS. These wounds superinduced his death in 1866. He was a lawyer by profession. They had two sons: James Walter and Orion Allen. They were raised and educated by their grandfather, John Allen Sr. After her father's death, in 1881, Amanda and her family moved to TX and her two nephews, James and Orion, also went along. Orion stayed in TX but James returned to TN. Src: Barbara Ryon, Wes Hogan and TN census.


James Walter Allen
Flora Adelaide Hamel

    All photographs and information is from Wes Hogan G grandson of James Walter Allen.

    James Walter Allen born Sept. 19, 1858 in Gibson, TN, married Flora Adelaide Hamel, daughter of Jean (John) Zapharin Hamel and Martha Jane Pickard, Nov. 23, 1881 in Davidson, TN by Minister: G. S. Williams, died Jan. 15, 1938 in Washington DC at age 79.
Obituary for James Walter Allen:
    Died following an operation ... 79 at time of death.... Of a noted line of revolutionary ancestors, James Walter was an active member of the S.A.R. for many years, serving for ten years as national trustee, and later as historian-general. As a Lawyer, he was examiner-accountant for the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, and a veteran in state and Federal Government work. He was historian general of the Sons of the American Revolution. He was educated in private schools and at the University of Tennessee. His distinguished career in Tennessee government offices included those of comptroller, consulting accountant for Gov. Benton McMillin and examiner for the Tennessee Insurance Department; buried 18 Jan 1938 in Mt Olivet Cemetery, Nashville, TN.
    He was nicknamed 'Fafa' by his great grandchildren. A genealogist, James submitted an application to the SAR which provided substantial information on every branch of his family tracing each branch to ancestors who served in the revolutionary war. He appeared on the census of 1920 in 3010 Long Boulevard, Nashville, Davidson Co., TN; James Walter listed as 61 years old, born in Tennessee,living with: son Forrest F. Allen, 23, bom in Tennessee; daughter Mary G. Allen, 15, bom in Tennessee.
    Flora Adelaide Hamel was descended from a long line of French Canadiens who later went to Louisiana. She was born on 5 Dec 1861 in Huntsville, Madison, AL. She died on 1 Jun 1916 in Chicago, Cook, IL, at age 54; Obituary from a Nashville Newspaper (Name unknown but probably the 'Nashville Tennessean and Nashville American')
    "Mrs. Allen's remains arrive here today. The remains of Mrs. James W. Allen, who died in Chicago Thursday night, will arrive in Nashville this morning at 8 o'clock and will be carried to the West end Cathedral where they will remain until 9:30 o'clock, at which time the funeral services will be held with requiem high mass. The remains will be interred at Mt. Olivet cemetery. The burial being private. The following friends will serve as pallbearers: Tavel Pickard, B.F. Baugus, Dr. C.S. Morrow, Sam N. Harwood, Dr. E. B. Cayce and J.B. Daniel.' She was buried circa 3 Jun 1916 in Mt Olivet Cemetery, Nashville, Davidson, TN."
    The announcement of the death of Mrs. Walter Allen, just made, has caused regret and deep sorrow to the hearts of a large number of devoted friends in this city who knew and loved her. Her death occurred in Chicago, where she had gone in search of health, after long months of physical suffering. She had reared a large family and was surrounded by her loved ones when the end came. She was a woman of unusual strength of character, a devoted wife and mother, and her children arise and call her blessed. In all the many vicisitudes of life she was brave and cheerful, and faced death with courage and faith. Many years ago when suffering from a very severe hemorrhage which threatened her life she spoke of death to a friend with the calmness of preparing for a pleasant journey. With the crucifix in her hand, she whispered: 'I am going to die; Did you know it? No tremor or terror possessed her, but she relied upon her God, and prayed. She possessed remarkable executive ability and would carry to a successful end any work she undertook, She was one of the earliest members of the Ladies' Hermitage association, and gave to the work of restoring the home of Andrew Jackson both ardor and zeal. She became a member of the association in 1892 and was elected a director, and in 1901 was elected treasurer. She served as treasurer with zealous ability for four years. In 1905 she was made secretary, a most capable one under my regency, serving four years in that office. In May, 1909, she was promoted to the high office of first vice-regent and served four years. She was a valiant and ardent member of the Army Comfort Circle, that little band of earnest women, who tried to alleviate the sufferings of the brave boys in the Philippines, and now so rapidly passing away. In all the enterprises gotten up for the benefit of this circle she was in the forefront of efficiency and usefulness. Mrs. Allen was a woman of wonderful personal magnetism, and her friends were deeply devoted to her, appreciated and loved her. Personally I was warmly attached to Mrs. Allen, and sorrow smote my heart when I learned of her incurable illness, and now that she is at rest, it is but meet that those who knew and loved her drop a tear upon her grave, and bring the flowers of affection to her memory. Mrs. Mary C. Dorris [From Nashville Tennessean and Nashville American newspaper] on 3 Jun 1916.
    The folowing is an article James wrote for "The Warren Report"   WARRENTON, N. C.,


 Interesting Letter Giving
History of Allen FAMILY
From Mr. J. W. Allen of Tenn.

 It affords us pleasure to publish the following letter from Mr. James W. Allen, of Tenn.  The letter is worthy of careful preservation as it gives us an account of a branch of one of Warren's leading families.         T. J. TAYLOR.

 Nashville , Tenn., Oct. 30th, 1917 Dear Sir,:,

 I am just in receipt of a letter from my cousin, the Hon. Joseph John Allen, of Louisburg, requesting me to give you a brief history of that portion of the Allen family who came "West." from there during the early history of Tennessee. I will begin with my grandfather, John Allen, who came to this country in the year 1819 from North Carolina, and settled one half mile East of La Vergne, Rutherford County, which is only fifteen miles from this place and taught school for many years.

John Allen was the grandson of Charles Allen who was reared near Culpepper, VA.  Charles Allen was a strong personal of President Washington, and served two enlistments in the Revolutionary War, and during the last one he was Captain of his company, and was more than fifty years of age.  His company was brigaded with Gen. Ashe and he was in the battle of “Brier Thicket," "Alamance Creek,” and “Guilford Court House.”  John Allen was the son of Vincent Allen, who bore his mother's maiden name, and who was also in  the Revolutionary War from a Virginia Regiment, under Lieutenant-Colonel Posey.  John Allen himself, served a short enlistment in the “War of 1812,” in a company of North Carolina Militia of which ???? was Capt. and drew a pension from the United States Government for this service to the time of his death.  He was born May 15, 1794, and died Janary 12, 1881, on the plantation that he cleared himself near Whiteville, TN, and is buried in the family graveyard at that place.  He moved to Whiteville in 1835, 12 years after the treaty with the Indians providing for the purchase and settlement of West Tennessee.

 While teaching school in the early part of his life, he found it necessary to supply a number of the children with shoes in order to keep them in school, and in orderr to do this he was compelled to make them himself, supplying them without cost to any of the pupils wishing him to do so.
 He was married about 1821 to Miss Nancy Caroline Morton, of one of the most prominent families in this section at that time. She was the daughter of John Morton and his wife, Miss Caroline O'Dineal (Odeneal),. who lived near Triune in Williamson County.  His children were Mary Allen, Thompson Allen, Vincent Allen, Caroline Allen, Ada Allen, John Allen, Joe Allen and Amanda Tate Allen.

 Mary Allen married Caswell Coates, Bolivar, Hardeman County, TN, and moved to Texas soon after that state was admitted to the Union.  She only had one daughter,  Alma, who married a Mr. Hester, and Alma only had one child by the name of John Hester. They are both living, at Columbus, Texas, and are in a good financial condition.

 Thompson Allen married Miss Araminta Wilson, near Bolivar, Tenn., and a Miss Newsom, near Fayette Corner, TN, and died about 1892 without heirs. He was buried with Masonic honors at Goodwin, Arkansas, where he owned a plantation. He joined E. Company, Forrest Old Regiment, and was shot down at the Battle of Shiloh, which was the first battle he was ever in. His horse was killed by the same bullet,.and this wound was the cause of his death.

 Vincent Allen went to Texas when he was a young chap with his sister Mary, and married a Miss Wilson near Alleytown, in Colorado county, and raised a family. One son, Gussie, the oldest, lives in Montana and Mrs. Traylor and Mrs. Leeds live at Wharton, Texas. Miss Pearl Leeds, one of the daughters, is quite a prominent school teacher in that section.

 Caroline and Ada Allen died when they were in their teens and were ever married.

 John Allen married Miss Louisa Harwood near Trenton, TN, and left two children, Orion and J. W. Allen (John Walter, myself). My brother, Orion Allen, lives at O'Donnell, Texas, and is engaged in the cattle business.  He left Tennessee in 1881 for his health, which was restored by the refreshing breezes, of the Panhandle country. He has three children. Glenn Allen, who is married and settled near his father; Fern Allen, who is in the National Army and Ora Allen, who married a Mr. Miles and is settled near that point. John Allen lost his wife in February 1861 and he immediately joined Company E. of the 7th Tennessee Cavalry which was brigaded with Gen. Forrest's old Regiment throughout the entire Civil War.  He was wounded at Union City, Tenn., and, again, at Harrisbutg, MS. These wounds superinduced his death in 1866.  He was a lawyer by profession.

 I married Miss Flora Hamel November 23, 1881. She descended from a long line of Indian fighters who came to Tennessee from North Carolina in the early part of the eighteenth century.  She died on,June 7th, 1916. Our children are as follows: Mrs. A. A.. Bailey, Chicago, IL; Mrs. 0. A. Burbank, Chicago, IL;  Mrs. W. A. Dyer, Washington, D. C,- J. W. Allen, Jr., New Orleans, LA; W. T. Allen, Chicago, IL;  Morton P. Allen, Chicago, IL; Forrest' F. Allen, Nashvillee, TN; and Mary Graddy Allen, Nashville, TN

(7). Joe Allen was a member of Co. E of the 7th Tennessee Cavalry and was killed at the Battle of Brittain Lane near Denmark, Tenn., which was the first battle he was ever in.  He had just graduated in medicine and went in the army as a private in order to gratify his intense feeling and do something for the good of his beloved Southland.

(8) Amanda Tate Allen was the youngest of all the children of John Allen, born about 1847.  During the war she rode her pony to school two miles and carried a seven shooter in her riding skirt pocket for protection.  She was one of the finest horseback riders, and one of the finest shots with the rifle or pistol ever in our section.  About 1872 she married John M. Matthews of Whiteville, TN, who was lieutenant in the 6th Tennessee Infantry, C. S. A.  They moved to Texas in 1881, and all of the children have become quite wealthy in the development of the lands in the eastern part of that state.  Their names are as follows, Mrs. Tate Matthews Barnett, Marfa, TX; Sloan Matthews, Harvey, TX; Claude Matthews, Fort Davis, TX; Walter Matthews, Marathon, TX; Morton Matthews, Alpine, TX.
They are all.married and have fine ranches and have always lived on the frontiers. My brother and  I were raised and educated by our grandfather and I am the only one left of John Allen’s descendants in Tennessee.

 John Allen was an excellent christian gentleman, a devout member of the Methodist church and, a strong disciple of John Wesley. During the latter part of his life he read the the Bible _______ always held family prayers at night and was a Mason of high rank, and always felt much interest in the Order. He knew no fear and during the war when the Federal soldiers were invading the country, it made no difference how many were in. the crowd, or at what time of the night they came, he always met them at the gate. He was a prosperous cotton planter and owned a large number of negroes at the out breaking of the war. He was charitable and liberal, but frugal and economical in his habits. To the negroes who stayed with him during the war, he sold farms after the war on a credit giving them all the time desired to pay for them. He was a man of strong determination, and considered loyalty to both principle and friends the grandest of all the virtues. To those of less discrimination this has often been construed to mean stubbornness, but his immovable loyalty was based upon love of principle.

 Pinkney Morton a brother of Caroline, moved from Williamson county to Caney Springs, now in Marshall county and raised his family on the adjoining farm to where General Nathan Bedford Forrest was reared. He was a great friend of the Morton family and Captain John W. Morton, one of our collateral kinsman, was his Chief Staff of Artillery during the war.  He had a charming daughter by the name of Mrs. Powell now living in Nashville, Tennessee.
 The Allens are all farmers and professional men.  I am the only one who ever had the temerity to venture into politics.  I was Comptroller of the Treasury of Tennessee at the age of thirty years and after serving many years in that capacity embarked into the insurance business.  I have until recently been connected with the State Insurance department for about fifteen years.  I represented that department in the examination of the New York Life Insurance Company in 1905, at which time the whole Life insurance business was readjusted and reconstructed. The energy used in acquiring political preferment applied in any other business, would have made, me a much wealthier and a much happier, man.
 John Allen had one sister who married a Walker, and one sister who married her cousin, Captain Sandford Allen, son of Charles Allen, Jr., who emigrated from North Carolina and came to Tennessee about 1835.  I do not know the address of all of these but will give them to you in a later letter, should you desire them. One of them runs a big dry-good business in Atlanta,. Georgia, and I think the others are in the railroad business.
 Charles and Vincent Allen, are both buried in their family, grave yards, in Warren county, N. C., as I remember history.  Old Charles had a son named Charles who served in the, same company with him, who later, moved to Williamson county, Tenn., and is buried at the Allen graveyard at Southall, near Franklin.
 I have often feared that I do not fully measure up to the Allen standard, but I have the application, determination and the inclination and hope some time to feel that I am a thorough Allen as understood by my beloved ancestry.

Very respectfully,

No. Avoca Apartments,
Nashville, Tennessee.

    Where he satated, "She descended from a long line of Indian fighters who came to Tennessee from North Carolina in the early part of the eighteenth century, I believe this should be 1800's, hmo)."
    Children of James Walter Allen and Flora Adelaide Hamel were as follows:


    Adelaide was born Sept. 5, 1882 in Davisdson Co., TN. She married Cornish BAILEY. They lived in Chicago, IL in 1917 and she died before 1938.


    Orion was born Feb. 5, 1884 in Davidson Co., TN. She married a man named Mr. Stack and they had one son. She then married a man named Burbank and they had no children. Orion and Mr Burbank were living in Chicago, IL in 1917. Most likely Mr. Stack was John King Stack Jr., since their son was named John King Stack III. A photo of King and his mother Orion has the comment on the back "King was kidnapped by his father and taken to Canada when he was seven years old. Orion could never have King extridated and didn't seee him again until he was sixteen years old. I remember he had beautiful red hair." The picture was dated March 30, 1911. Also written on back, but ruled out are the words: "Hold Picture Big Story."
    In Jan. 17, 1938 she was living in Los Angeles, CA.


Martha Louis Allen
William Archer Dyer

The following information on Martha and Orion is from Wes Hogan grandson amd son respectively.
    Martha Louise Allen was born 1 Sep 1885 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. She married William Archer Dyer, son of Thomas Baker Dyer and Ellen Rose Bowling, 10 Dec. 10, 1906 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. She was a petite, but strong willed lady, who became very fragile and bed ridden for her last few years. She died Sept. 1, 1953 in Washington DC at age 68; buried Sept. 4, 1953 in Cedar Hill Cemetery 4000 Suitland Road. S.E. Washington 25 DC, Washington DC; Section 27 Crypt/Lot 51, Tier 6. Inscription Louise Allen Dyer 1953. To match William A Dyer.
    William Archer Dyer was born July 24, 1876 in Momazile, Oxon Hill, Prince George's, MD. He appeared on the census of 1880 in MD; 3 years old, born in Maryland. He was a Pharmaceutical supply salesman for Whiteall Tatum and his business required him to travel up and down the Eastern seaboard for extended periods of time. He was a pleasant, cheerful man, highly respected by his customers. He left a will on Dec. 18, 1929 in Washington DC. He died on July 24, 1940 in Philadelphia, PA, at age 64, and was buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Washington DC. They lived in the Dresden Apartments in Washington D. C. for many years and were known as Granny and Papa to their grand children. Following Archy's death, Martha Louise moved into the Hotel Harrington in Washington D. C. In 1949 she moved in with Louise and Tom, in Falls Church, VA, until they moved to Hawaii in 1952. Martah Louise then moved into a nursing home until her death in 1953. Archy and Martha each died on their birthday, she of cancer and he of a heart attack.
    Their daughter:


Orion Louise Dyer
Thomas Wesley Hogan

    Orion Louise Dyer born March 13, 1910 in Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL. She was baptized May 14, 1910 in Cathedral of the Incarnation, Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. The Baptism certificate states Orion Louise Dyer was born March 13, 1910 of William Archer Dyer and Martha Louise Allen (Dyer). It is signed by M.A. J. Kasper with Sponsors Richard C. Dyer and Adelaide Bailey. Most of her young life was spent in the Washington D. C. area. She was educated between 1915 and 1927 in Georgetown Visitation Convent, Washington D. C. where she graduated from High School. Because her father's job required constant travel. Louise boarded at the Convent, and retained fond memories of her experiences there for the rest of her life. Lack of affection and caring by her mother during her early years appear to have hardened her, and, at 4' 10", her short stature belied her iron will. As tough as she tried to be on the outside, she was sensitive and caring inside, an avid collector of love poems, and an accomplished artist. An excellent and complex charcoal drawing of a lady on horseback was drawn by her at the age of 12.
    She married Captain Thomas Wesley Hogan, son of Ancil Paul Hogan and Alice Paralee Heard, June 27, 1931 in Shrine of the Sacred Heart Church Rectory in Washington DC. The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. M. Moran, in the presence of J.C. Hollingsworth, Naval Academy roommate of Thomas, and Gladys K. Church, childhood and lifelong friend of Louise. She was assigned to work on the assembly of the top secret VT rocket fuse between 1943 and 1944 in John Hopkins, MD. She was an accomplished artist who specialized in painting seascapes and florals, but also did some portrait painting. She sold her work in many gallery's on Oahu, and she and Tom could be found on weekends at the Honolulu Zoo fence where they sold her art work between 1961 and 1985 in Kailua, Hawaii. She suffered from hives for a large part of her life and nearly died during the birth of their second son, William in June 1935. She was eventually cured in 1954, when she received experimental doses of cortisone. She was ill with cancer between 1989 and 1993 in Bellevue, King Co., WA. She died March 18, 1993 in Kelsey Creek Care Center, Bellevue, King Co., WA, at age 83; Cause of death - Squarnous Cell Carcinoma of Esophagus; buried March 19, 1993 in Sunset Hills Cemetery, Bellevue, King Co., WA; Louise was cremated in the Sunset Crematory and her ashes are interred in the same niche as her husband.
    Captain Thomas Wesley Hogan was born on 11 Apr 1909 in Canton, Cherokee Co., GA. He grew up in a small town where the biggest industries were two cotton mills, his father was superintendent of the No. 1 cotton mill, and a marble factory. Tom lived with a growing love for boats and water. Close to his home in Canton, there were lots of long-leaf pine trees. The bark was thick and easily carved to make boats, and boats and more boats. The Etowah River was not far away; but these boats were small for the river, large for the bathtub. His mother's sewing pins and thread came in handy for guardrails and rigging. From some source, Tom learned a little about boats, and liked the idea of learning more at the U.S. Naval Academy.
    Tom's teenage years in a small town in North Georgia were characterized by a few 'older customs--like having to wear knee pants until he was 16; no wrist watch until 16; no early driving for there were very few cars around (absolutely no hot rodding). He played basketball for Canton High school in fierce competition with several other schools not too far away. After graduation, and in preparation for the Naval Academy, he spent one year studying Trigonometry and English. Tom was a handsome young man, about 5' 11" tall, and well thought of by men and women alike. He had a hearty infectious laugh, and was a consumate story teller. He was proud of the Navy and wanted very much to be a successful Naval Officer. He entered the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Anne Arundel, MD in 1927 and graduated in June 1931, at which time he was promoted to the rank of ensign.
    Tom started his career at Naval Air Station Norfolk undergoing preliminary flight training, but quickly decided that wasn't for him and after two months, transferred to the Battleship Pennsylvania in Norfolk. In September 1931, Pennsylvania was relocated to San Pedro, California, where their first son, Wes, was born. In the spring of 1933, the Long Beach and San Pedro areas were hit by a severe earthquake, but fortunately, no one in the Hogan family was hurt.
    In 1934, Tom entered Submarine School in New London, Connecticut, graduating in December of that year. His first submarine assignment was the USS S11 at the U S submarine base in Coco Solo, Canal Zone, Panama. In June,1935, William Paul was born. In May 1936, Tom transferred to the USS Barracuda,and conducted operations in Hawaii test firing Mk II torpedo's, which proved to be inferior weapons. The family moved to Coronado, California in June and then Louise and the boys moved to Washington D.C. while Barracuda made a trip to the Caribbean on a gravimetric Survey. On completion, Barracuda proceeded to Philadelphia in 1937 to be decommissioned. Tom left Barracuda in May 1937 and reported to the submarine R-14 in New London, Connecticut. In June 1938, Tom received orders to the Post Graduate School at Annapolis MD where he undertook a Practical Engineering Course. September 1939 brought emergency orders to the cruiser, USS Philadelphia, at Mare Island, California. In May, 1940 Tom was ordered to report to the submarine USS Nautilus in Pearl Harbor Hawaii. The family sailed to Hawaii, on board the Henderson, where they lived until July 1941, when Nautilus was slated for modernization at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard. The Hogan's were all in Vallejo, California when WW II began on December 7, 1941. In April, with overhaul of Nautilus complete, Tom departed on Nautilus for Pearl Harbor, leaving Louise and the boys in Mare Island. In May and June, Nautilus participated in the Battle of Midway, a turning point in the war. Nautilus fired torpedo's and hit the Japanese Aircraft carrier Soryu. However, U S carrier aircraft were credited with the sinking of Soryu. In June and July, Nautilus was underway for her second patrol, now off the coast of Japan. In August, Nautilus, the second largest U.S. submarine, configured as a troop carrier, departed Pearl Harbor with a contingent of Marine raiders, under Colonel Carlsen. Their objective was to destroy a Japanese communication station on Makin Island. The raid, conducted with USS Argonaut, the largest US submarine, was a success, and was later the subject of the movie 'Gung Ho'. Gung Ho had been the password of the marines during that raid. September to November saw Nautilus on her fourth patrol, again off the coast of Japan. In all, Nautilus was credited with sinking a Destroyer and three cargo vessels, and Tom was awarded a Silver Star medal for his efforts as Engineering officer and Diving officer. In December, 1942, Tom was detached and ordered to Prospective Commanding Officer's school in New London. Following PCO school, he was assigned to USS Bonefish and took command in May 1943. Bonefish departed for the Pacific in July, and operating out of Perth, Australia, conducted four patrols through May 1944. Tom was credited with sinking two transports, two cargo ships, two passenger-cargo ships and one destroyer and was awarded three Navy Cross Medals, the second highest award possible, and one silver star medal. In June 1944, he was relieved by Lieutenant Commander Larry Edge, who went down with Bonefish in the Sea of Japan in June 1945, the 51st of 52 US submarines lost during the war.
    Tom proceeded to New London as prospective commanding officer of USS Dentuda. Louise was invited to sponsor Dentuda, and ensured the ship's luck by smashing a bottle of champagne across her bow as she slid down the ways. Before taking command, Tom was reassigned to the staff of the Commander Submarine Forces Atlantic, and the family remained in New London until June 1946, when he was reassigned to San Diego, California as Commander Submarine Division 32. Transferred to the cruiser, USS Atlanta, in June 1947, he departed once again for the Western Pacific, where the ship was home ported in Tsingtao, China and operated in the Yellow and East China Sea, and visited such ports as Hong Kong, Singapore, Manila, Taiwan, Shanghai, and Yokosuka, Ataru, and Sapporo in Japan. He followed that with tours as commanding officer of the Communications Flagship, El Dorado, which he took to the Dew line in Alaska; and Commanding Officer of the Cruiser Worchester, which he took to Tsingtao China for a year. Following a tour in Korea on the J-2 (intelligence) staff and a stint as Commander Naval Forces Korea, Tom was assigned Commanding Officer of the Naval Station in Pearl Harbor, where he retired from the Navy in 1961.
    He left a will on 31 Aug 1979 in Honolulu, Honolulu, Hawaii. He and Louise lived in Kailua, Oahu, until his death of congestive heart failure. He went to bed early in the evening of 7 Jan. Louise joined him a short while later, and remembered his hands were folded across his chest. She kissed his brow, noticing his forehead was cold, but thought he was asleep. The next morning when she awoke, Tom was in the same position she found him in the evening before. He apparently died peacefully before she went to bed. The death certificate lists date of death as 8 Jan., probably because that was when the determination was made. He was Cremated in Honolulu, Hawaii on Jan. 8, 1985, then Louise carried Tom's ashes to Bellevue WA, where they were interred at Sunset Hills Cemetery in March of 1985, following a Military ceremony.
    They had two sons.


    James Walter Jr.. was born Aug. 3, 1889 in Davidson Co., TN. In 1917 he was living in New Orleans, LA and in Jan. 17, 1938 he was in Mexico.


    Went by "Wet" was born July 29, 1892 in Davidson Co.,TN. In Chicago, IL


    Morton was a First Lieutenant in the Aviation Corps. Later lived in Chicago, IL and Jan. 17, 1938 he was living in New York City, NY.


    Forrest was born Oct. 26, 1896 in Davidson Co., TN. He was a graduate of Fort Oglethorpe and was a Second Lieutenant in the National Army at Camp Gordon, Atlanta, GA in 1917. He later lived in Nashville, TN and on Jan. 17, 1938 he was living in New York City, NY.


    Mary was born June 6, 1904. In 1910 and 1920 census was living at home with her father and brother, Forrest, at 3010 Long Boulevard, Nashville, TN. On Jan. 17, 1938 she was living in Los Angeles, CA.


    Orion Allen was born about 1857 in TN. He left Tennessee in 1881 for his health, which was restored by the refreshing breezes, of the Panhandle country. He married Lodusky GLENN. In 1917 he lived at O'Donnell, Texas, and was engaged in the cattle business. On Sept. 19, 1921 he was living in Big Spring, TX.
    Their three children:


Glenn Allen, who is married and settled near his father.


Fern Allen was in the National Army. Fern died in battle on Oct. 8, 1918 in Argonne, France.


Ora Allen, who married a Mr. Miles and is settled near her father.