Battle Memories:

1st Bn, 8th Infantry & A Btry, 6/29 FA

Near Pleiku, South Vietnam

18 - 23 May 1967

Raymond A. Harton
LTC, FA, Retired

Preface:  The 1/8th Infantry Battalion and A Btry 6/29th Artillery were part of the 1st Brigade,
4th Infantry Division during Operation "Francis Marion". The mission was: Search and Destroy.

        The Infantry Battalion and A 6/29th airlifted into position just West of Duc Co at coordinates YA 790239 on 13 May 67. The artillery (Commanded by Cpt. McCreight) hurriedly prepared their firing position and prepared to support the infantry. The FSB was initially secured by C Company 1/8th Infantry. The infantry companies A & B continued their normal sweeping and patrolling action with little contact.

14 May            Quiet
        This is my analysis as to what took place during the period 18-23 May 1967. The general scenario is related in the book, 4th Infantry Division, Vietnam, on pages 96-100. The artillery was placed on restrictive firing. No recon by fire missions were authorized unless personnel we're in contact. I told my Forward Observers that if they were in contact that I would give them all the support they required. Early in the afternoon of 18 May 67 the FO told me and the FDO (Lt. Dlugosz) that they were in contact. I authorized firing the artillery. The Infantry had a platoon that was receiving fire. I went with the Infantry Battalion Commander (Ltc. Gannon (MUSTANG)) in his C&C chopper to monitor the battle and assist in any way possible. The FO had A Btry 6/29th firing for him, while I had C 5/16th (Cpt. Meek) firing for me. Other artillery and air assisted in fire support.
18 May
        An Infantry platoon (4th platoon, B Company) had got ambushed and were pinned down. I placed blocking fires to the west of the pinned down platoon (C 5/16th 155mm howitzers). This went on for quite a while. Suddenly MUSTANG (BN CO) tapped me on the shoulder and told me they (the platoon) wanted the artillery on top of them. I said "Are you sure that is what they want?". He said "YES" put it on top of them. I immediately made a correction for C 5/16th and fired many rounds of 155 mm artillery on top of the platoon. Ltc. Gannon made the decision. I made the correction and ordered the firing. In the meantime, the Bn S-2 with personnel of the Bn formed a Company Minus and they were dropped in by chopper to try and find the platoon. At darkness, MUSTANG and I went back to the TOC (Tactical Operation Center of the Battalion). Around 9 p.m., MUSTANG told the Company Minus to secure for the night and told them to start at first light in the morning. We got the Company Minus's coordinates and I got the did hit data from C 5/16th. After checking the two plots, I can remember telling Mustang that if they went so many mils in that direction that they would find the platoon. I recall this vividly because MUSTANG said "That is Artillery talk (mils), put it in Infantry talk". I converted the mils to degrees. The platoon was only 500-600 meters from the Company Minus. The Company Minus pushed out at first light and found the platoon shortly after they started. They found 8 people left alive. They had been stripped of their valuables, weapons etc.
        On 19 May 67,we regrouped and MUSTANG stayed on the ground with the troops that evening (forward CP). I declined to stay on the ground because I would not be able to get up in the air to assist if trouble began again. We fired many DEFCONS (defensive concentrations) and H&I"s (harrassing & interdiction fires) for the people on the ground throughout the night.
19 May
        The following morning, I took the C&C chopper with some replacements into the area. Mustang called me enroute and told me not to shut it down. I was to take a passenger to the hospital. When they set the stetcher in the chopper,the BN S-2 looked up at me and said "What the f--- happened? I told him I did not know. (It seems like he had been sitting on his helmet briefing his troops,when a large limb came down and landed on his head. Got hurt pretty bad. I was told that they evacuated him to the states for surgery.). While laying on the stretcher in the chopper enroute to the aid station I asked him what the conditions were like where the platoon was at. He told me he could not see how people got out of there alive. The artillery had cut everything to shreds. After bringing the S-2 to the aid station I returned to pick up MUSTANG and we went back to the TOC.
        The Infantry set up their perimeters and security and the artillery prepared their DEFCON's. About dusk the sh-t hit the fan. On 20 May 67, MUSTANG and I flew for 20 hours. The only time we were not in the air was when we ran from one chopper to another chopper. There was always another one waiting with radio's,food etc. During the evening and early morning hours A Btry fired continuous fire. Lt. Dlugosz (FDO) called me a couple of times. Once he told me his tubes were getting hot. I asked him if he could put his hands on them. He said "Barely". I told him that they were not hot enough and to continue to fire. What made it worse is that all the firing was "DANGER CLOSE" (Less than 100 meters from the troops). In one instance,I asked Lt. Schoeck, one of the FO's on the ground if he was sure he wanted that correction. He said "Yes". I told him "get in your holes" (The next morning he showed me his back which had shrapnel burns through his clothes).
20 May            21 May
        Another time Lt. Dlugosz (the FDO) called me and told me he was running low on ammunition. I told him to call the S-4 (Cpt. Borders). He told me the S-4 could not get any birds (choppers). I also called the S-4 and he told me he could not get any birds. I told him he better sh-t some birds. A few minutes later he called me and told me he had four birds on the way with some passengers. The 6/29th had gathered up cooks, mechanics and anyone else around and flew them into the firebase to help with the ammo etc.
        During the period 18-23 May 67 A Btry 6/29th fired 8300 rounds of 105mm rounds in support of the operation. C Btry 5/16th fired 1845 rounds of 155 mm rounds. B Btry 6/14th fired 1794 rounds of 8 inch and 690 rounds of 175mm rounds in support of this operattion. In addition 57 air sorties were utilized in this operation (18-26 May 67). On 23 May 67, a decision was made to pull the 1/8th Infantry and A 6/29th from the field. All the preparations were made. Control of the fire base was passed on and we went to bed early for a change. Suddenly we heard thump-thump of mortar rounds coming in. Lt Dlugosz said "Are those good guys or bad guys"?. We hustled out of our tent into the TOC.I called my counterpart, who had taken control of the security and asked him if he was going to fire or should we fire. He told me he had a patrol out but didn't know exactly where it was. I told him "You better fire or I will". I gave the Firing Battery clearance to fire and told them to fire vt fuze with a zero time setting and to fire at such and such an elevation and azimuth. The mortar firing stopped. Lt. Dlugosz and I had both saw the light from the mortars being fired. That woke up the patrol and the rest of the night passed without incident. The following morning the 1/8th Infantry and A Btry 6/29th artillery retired from the field. We became the palace guard for a short time in order to lick our wounds and get replacements.
        During this operation the 6/29th lost one man, SGT Leland Thompson. He was acting as the observer for the platoon that was ambushed. Others were wounded. The 1/8th infantry lost 45 KIA and 96 WIA. Enemy body count was 157 KIA. The 1/8th Infantry had three "Medal of Honor" recipients during this operation. Platoon Sgt Bruce Grandstaff, Staff Sgt Frankie Molnar and PFC Leslie Bellrichard. Sgt Thompson received the Silvar Star. Unfortunately all these awards were posthumously.
        These memories are based on my recollection of the events. No attempt was made to corelate them with the actions of the 1/8th Infantry.These events have stayed with me for the past 33 years.I think you might understand why some nights I wake up in the IA DRANG valley.

Raymond A Harton, LTC, FA, Retired
Artillery Liaison Officer with 1/8 Infantry

Photos were provided by Cpt. McCreight, A Btry, 6/29th Arty

Return to Stories of Vietnam

Home Page


Our Regimental History ] Our Separate Unit Histories ]
Our Memorial Tribute of Honor to Fallen Comrades ]
He Was My Friend, And, I Remember... ]
Our Vietnam War POW-MIA Pages ] Our Korean War POW-MIA Pages ]
Our Medal of Honor Tribute ]
Individual Combat Awards ] Individual Service Awards ]
Our Email Listings ] Our Postal Listings ]
Message Archives ] Related Links ] Favorite Links ]
Acknowledgements ] Our Site Awards ] About the Webmaster ]
Sign Our Guestbook ] View Our Guestbook ]
Discussion/Message Board ]
Our Member's Personal Home Pages ]
Stories of WWII ] Stories of Vietnam ] Stories of the Gulf War ]
WW I Photo's ] WW II Photo's ] Vietnam Photo's ]
Gulf War Photo's ] Bosnia Photo's ] Peacetime Photo's ]
Our Supplemental Web Site Pages ]
Awards We Give ]

Master Site Index ]