Fall Fashion Sewing Week--dates to be announced
As seen in Vogue Patterns magazine, Feb/March 2006 issue
The weekend and week long sessions are held at the delightful hotel, The Talbott, just one block from Michigan Avenue, right off the Magnificent Mile. Everything at the hotel works out wonderfully with a good room with great lighting and service for us. I always provide multiple ironing boards and irons, sergers, cutting mats and presses so there's no waiting for equipment.
Chicago has a wonderful selection of fashion emporiums all within easy walking distance of the hotel, great restaurants, and our hotel has a workroom space. The fashion exploration is a vital part of the weekís inspiration. Chicago has most of the same boutiques as NY, and even a few that are only in Chicago and/or Paris and Milan. Itís also just plain fun. Iíve now done nearly a dozen of these weeks, and always seem to have a repeater or two, and many have made good, new sewing friends. Itís fun to watch friendships develop as much as sewing skills.
During the sewing week, you can make either pants or a skirt, and also a jacket style of your choice all using the Fashion Sewing Group patterns that are included in the cost of the class. Class begins Sunday afternoon and concludes by six p.m. on the following Saturday. The emhasis is on refining your pattern fit and practical sewing technique; learning to make good pant and jacket style choices for your figure are emphasized.
The cost of the week is $1500.00 for a shared room (double occupancy), $2100.00 for a private room and just $950.00 if you make your own hotel arrangements. That cost includes your wool crepe for your pants, the notions necessary for their construction plus all interfacings, shoulder pads, and patterns for your jacket. Jacket fabric is your choice with instructor approval.
Fall Sewing Weekend
For those who want to immerse themselves in fashion and personal sewing strategies, this is going to be a regular session now, held just before the sewing weeks. We'll start with a light supper and cocktail party at my place on Thursday evening to get to know each other and have a look at my designer wardrobe collection from Chanel, Prada, Vuitton, and others.
Schedules aren't set until late summer for certain, but in the past we had special presentations at Chanel, Prada and Vuitton., met the owner of a long time fashion design business, had a lecture on sewing with leather and fur from Chicago's premier specialist, and had a special session wtih a design school instructor who demonstrated tracing off a muslin from a garment.
In addition, there will be a lovely group dinner at an excellent Chicago restaurant. Tender Buttons is just around the corner from the hotel. If you wish, you can arrive a day ahead for personal shopping. $550.00 for three nights at The Talbott with a designated roomate plus two group dinners, or $250.00 and you can make your own hotel accomodations. Come with a sewing friend, or come alone and make new friends. It's time you had a vacation to do just what you like best. This session is limited to 12 participants.
Chicago Subscriber Event, Fall 2007
Details to be announced./FONT>
Fashion Sewing Week
- Sessions are held at The Talbott Hotel on Delaware, in the heart of Chicago's "gold coast," a couple blocks from the lake and the elegance of Michigan Avenue.
- Grand dinner at RL, Ralph Lauren's only restaurant. (It's very chic!)
- A couple additional group lunches and dinners including the gala night at RL.
- Ready and waiting for you will be interfacings for your jacket, and your color choice of wool crepe for your pants with notions--all included as part of the class. We'll start with personalized fit and cutting out those perfect pants Sunday evening.
- Field trip to the Chanel Boutique for a speical presentation and exploration of my favorite fashion haunts: Barney's, Ferragamo, Burberry, Armani, Jill Sander, Max Mara, Versace, Tender Buttons and others.
- Casual dinner in my condo where we'll examine my collection of Chanel, Prada, Beene, Blass, and Armani.
- If you tire of sewing, or you want to see more of Chicago, there will be a free day.
- Do you want a great haircut? A make-up consultation and makeover? A tour of the Merchandise Mart furniture showrooms (where I'm a registered buyer)?
- I will send a questionnaire when you register, so I can personalize the week to your interests.
- $1500.00, (includes interfacings, pants notions, shoulder pads, patterns, pants fabric, some meals, 7 nights in the hotel as described above), or make your own hotel reservations and pay $950.00 for the week.
- If you can only stay for part of the week, arrangements can be made if there is space available. The sessions are limtied to 8 participants.
To make a reservation, email me at email@example.com or mail a check for half payment to Erickson Group, 613 Hickory Grove Court, Dunlap, IL 61525
- Transportation to Chicago on your own.
- Parking garage within one block of the hotel.
- Convenient shuttle from the airports.
What to Bring:
- A supply list will be sent after I receive your registration.
- Bring your own sewing machine or ship it ahead of time.
Class size for the week will be limited to 8.