Oct. 21 -- Johnny Sign provided the crane, Haggemeyer Construction provided the labor, Fith Third Bank provided the money, and I provided the anxiety to get 19 trusses hoisted over the existing house and set atop the ~20' high wall.
Would you do that for a living? Notice how none of these guys are very old?
Nov. 5 -- Harold and I build the connecting roof. Soon, this old house is going to shed water like a tight fro.
Nov 12 -- The addition is lockable. Notice the new matching patio doors (and the hole waiting for the actual patio). Within the month, Tim Jeffers Masonry crew will apply our salvaged limestone to this side of the addition up to the elevation of the existing limestone to the right. Then, siding matching the shop will go on, and dancing bears with tubas... wait, I don't want to tell everything I know just yet.
How about those funky windows?!
The back door area still lacks the awning roof that extends from the plastic covered roof plane.
The masons have come and gone, leaving some sexy limestone in their wake.
Dec. 18 -- The privacy screen trees are all in place. The Dark American Arborvitaes should grow to ~12' tall with a ~8' spread. But, being impatient, I'm not going to wait for the privacy screen to mature; I'll go ahead as planned, and work on the house nude.
Dec. 20 -- This is a taste of Phase 2 in the total house renovation: the old house's drooping eaves and undulating roof rafters. In preparation for the addition, Harold and I cut back the existing eaves to allow the addition to snuggly join the old house. This left the old patio door area roof section a little naked looking, so I rebuilt the eaves (in sections on saw horses) and wrapped them around the new patio door wall as well. Not only does it look pretty nice, but we're trying everything possible to join the old to the new in a pleasing and reasonable manner. Nothing looks tackier than a big house where an addition is painfully obvious. So far, it's leaving the "painfully obvious" state and edging towards "dull ache." "Chronic, manageable pain" is the desired target.
Anyway, Phase 2 (in the springtime) will include stripping the old roof to the rafters, adding 1 1/2" to the rafter height for added ceiling insulation and a margin of room to work out the roof's undulation, building and installing new eaves all the way around, installing matching soffit, fascia and gutters, and lastly reshingling the old roof.
Hey, Randy, remember that awful work you made me do at your West 6th St. house year after year? Well, this spring I'm calling in some favors, brother.
Jan. 10, 2002 -- The back door porch.
Jan. 10, 2002 -- Hanging the fascia cladding (Quality Aluminum, Beige #190).
|Who's the siding pimp, huh? Who is that pimp?
Some time in April 2002, I finished all the siding. Do you see the round window atop the gothic stair well windows? I'm thinking about lighting it, so it resembles a candle! I might even wait until Christmas to do so.
The master bedroom deck stands ~10' by 11' wide and 8' deep. The open rafter roof and the decorative handrails must wait (time & money, the eternal buggabooes), however some type of railing will be slapped together prior to the final building inspection and refinancing. By the way, I used an extremely overpriced decking material called Trex for the floor. It's a composite material made of recycled plastics and oak saw dust and chips. The manufacturer promises it will last forever, environmentalists echo that concern, so I thought it sounded like the ideal product. Click the picture for the Trex homepage.