Baseball Catchers Enigma Machine Quiz 2
Decipher the Historical Catcher Event of
To decipher the coded catcher event in history you must first correctly answer a series of trivia questions which will provide you with the correct settings on the ENIGMA machine below. For those unfamiliar with the operation of the enigma machine, a brief tutorial has been provided. [Note that all answers to these questions can be found on this web site.]
PART I - ORDER OF THE THREE WHEELS
- The number of At Bats (AB) for Smoky Burgess in 1953.
PART II - RING SETTINGS
- The number of Homeruns hit in 1959 by Sherm Lollar (left setting)
- The number of Triples hit in 1970 by Manny Sanguillen (middle setting)
- The number of Errors made as a catcher in 1937 by Rollie Hemsley (right setting)
PART III - STECKER PAIRS (3 of them)
- Ben Davis' first and middle initials
- Gus Mancuso's first and middle initials
- Deacon McGuire's first and middle initials
PART IV - INDICATOR SETTINGS
- Initials (first, middle, last) of the catcher who has caught the Most Games (team history) for the Baltimore Orioles (1,230).
Now that you have obtained all of the correct numbers and letters (machine settings), it is time for you to enter them into the ENIGMA MACHINE setup (by clicking on the SETTINGS tab below the machine keyboard). After you have entered each group of settings, Click On the SET button. When you enter the Stecker Pairs and click on set the machine will automatically put them in alphabetical order. After you have entered the Indicator Setting and clicked on SET, then Click On MACHINE to return to the entry of the cypher.
This is a simulation of a WWII German Enigma encryption machine.
You can use your computer keyboard to type, or use your mouse to
click on the machine's keys to enter the Code Phrase
WUJLX JKDJG NHLGZ HIUNZ QAJWI SQMWK PYELZ TRXWV IONKX EPM
one keystroke at a time (your Cipher Text will be shown in the input box to the right). IGNORE SPACES; they are shown for ease of
reading only! If you have correctly answered the above trivia questions, the Enigma Machine will generate the Plain Text
of the mysterious catcher event in history in the output area.
Enigma Machine Applet code Copyright (c) 1997-2001, Andy Carlson. All rights reserved.