The documents that everyone have used as for performance data source are basically two:
- Reggiane factory tests of December 11, 1941 (Ao50901 Design)
- Regia Aeronautica comparative tests of April 12, 1943
In certain books and articles about the RE2005 there is a lot of confusion: the data from this two sources is often mixed or alterated, the theoretical data from the factory tests is reported as the actual aircraft performance (in example: 678 kph instead of 628 kph).
In one case I've even found someone making a melting with the data of the re2004 (isotta frschin radial engine equipped version), so watch out.
The correct data is that from Regia Aeronautica tests in April 1943. You can find a scheme of the results of those trials in the technical description section.
The same data can also be found reported correctly in the following books:
- Sergio Govi "I Reggiane dalla A alla Z" (in Italian, but its the "byble")
- " RE 2005" La bancarella aeronautica editions (italian/english text, with translated excerpts from the '43 test'report
- Chris Dunning "Courage Alone, The Italian Airforce 1940-43" (English)
- W. Green "War Planes of the second world war, Fighters, Volume two"