JAMES BEVAN 1756-1828
The Bevan family can be traced back to 1756, with the birth of James Bevan at Thornbury, Gloucestershire. Unfortunately it is impossible to go back any further, as the Parish Register only gives his father's name, which was also James, it does not list his mother's name.
James married Joan Neal at St. James Church, Bedminster in Bristol, on 17th April 1781. Joan was born at Berkley, Gloucestershire in 1758, the daughter of William Neal and Jane nee Cook. James and Joan had two children
1. James born at Thornbury on 27th June 1782. Covered in more detail later.
2. William born at Thornbury on 7th January 1784. He was baptised at Thornbury on 8th April 1784. Not much is known about William, except that he was a Tailor and that he married a girl named Ann (surname unknown).
JAMES BEVAN 1782 - 1859
James was born at Thornbury on 27th June 1782. He was baptised at Thornbury Parish Church on 28th August 1782. He married Anne Lippiatt Thomas at Thornbury on 28th August 1804. Ann was born at Thornbury on 9th February 1785, the base child (illegitimate) of Mary Thomas. Her father's name is not known, but it was probably Lippiatt, as when she was baptised on 3rd April 1785, her name is entered in the Register with an = between the Anne and the Lippiatt.
Anne's mother, Mary Thomas later married James Williams at St. Michael's Church in Bristol on 9th December 1797 and had four more children. She died at Olveston, Gloucestershire on 18th October 1829.
James Bevan was a cattle dealer most of his life, although he gives his occupation as Tailor at the baptism of his last three children.
James died at Thornbury in January 1859, he was buried in the Thornbury churchyard in 1st February 1859. James and Anne had fifteen children, all born and baptised in Thornbury.
1. Ann born 25th December 1804. Baptised 30th January 1805.
2. Elizabeth born 4th July 1806. Baptised 13th August 1806.
3. Jane born 4th December 1807. Baptised 13th January 1808.
4. Harriet born 31st January 1809. Baptised 8th March 1809.
5. James born 26th October 1810. Baptised 25th November 1810. More details later.
6. William born 5th July 1812. Baptised 27th September 1812.
7. Mary born in 1814.Baptised 3rd April 1814
8. Susannah born in 1815, Baptised 8th October 1815. Died at Thornbury 2nd March 1919.
9. Hester born 27th January 1817. Baptised 28th November 1819.
10. Sarah born 1st September 1819, apparently very weak at birth, as she was baptised the next day, 2nd September 1819. She only lived eight days, dying on 9th September 1819.
11. Thomas born 1st September 1819 the twin of Sarah. Baptised 7th September 1819. Covered in more detail later.
12. Caroline born in 1821. Baptised 25th February 1821.
13. Edwin born about 1823, he was not baptised until 1st July 1827.
14. Emma born about 1826, also baptised 1st July 1827.
15. Fanny born about 1827, also baptised 1st July 1827.
JAMES BEVAN 1810 - 1874
James was born at Thornbury on 26th October 1810. He was baptised at the Parish Church there on 25th November 1810. He married Elizabeth Pearce about 1830. Elizabeth was born about 1807. It is thought she was the daughter of John Pearce and Elizabeth nee England.
James apparently worked as a carpenter all his life, as this is the occupation he gives at the baptisms of all his children.
Elizabeth died at Thornbury on 26th February 1869. She was buried in the Thornbury churchyard on 27th February 1869.
James died at Thornbury on 11th March 1874. He was buried beside his wife on 12th March 1874
James and Elizabeth had seven children.
1. Elizabeth was born at Thornbury in 1831. She was baptised at the parish church on 24th November 1831. She married William Lee at Bristol on 31st January 1853. Her story is covered in the Lee chapter of this history.
2. Louisa was born at Thornbury in 1833. She was baptised at the parish church on 22nd September 1833. According to the 1851 census she was a dressmaker by trade.
3. Ann Pearce was born at Thornbury in 1837. She was baptised at the parish church on 30th April 1837. She died at Thornbury on 11th March 1843 aged only five years.
4. Thomas was born at Thornbury in 1839. It is possible he died at birth, as there is no baptismal record for him.
5. Fanny was born at Thornbury in 1839 the twin of Thomas. She was baptised at the parish church on 25th July 1841. She died quite young and was buried in the Thornbury churchyard on 25th February 1843. Aged four years.
6. Edward Pearce was born at Thornbury in July 1841. He was baptised in the parish church on 25th July 1841, the same day as his sister Fanny. He also died the same day as Fanny, he was buried in the Thornbury churchyard aged one year and seven months
7. Jane was born at Thornbury about 1845. She was baptised in the parish church on 27th July 1845. Nothing further is known of this child.
THOMAS BEVAN 1819 - 1866
Thomas was born at Thornbury on 1st September 1819. He was baptised in the parish church on 7th September 1819. He married Ann Parnell at the Thornbury parish church on 24th February 1846.
Not a lot is known of Thomas's life. It is known that he was the licensee of the “Seven Stars” inn in Thornbury for some time. According to the census of 1851 he is described as a beer seller and pig dealer, an unusual combination . On the baptism of his last child and also on his death certificate, his occupation is recorded as a labourer - so he had given up the “Seven Stars” by 1862.
Thomas died on 24th August 1866, aged 47. His death certificate states the cause of death to be “Visitation of God”, which seems to be a way of saying “sudden death by natural causes”. He was buried by order of the Coroner after an inquest was held at the “Swan” inn.
From the Coroner's notes it seems that Thomas was working at the Oldbury Brick Works. Early on the 24th August 1866, before 5am, he called his son, Henry, aged 17, who was still in bed, asking if he was going to get up - and then went off down the road past the “Boar's Head” on his way to Oldbury-on-Severn. At a quarter to 5, he called George Birt. George did not see Thomas, only heard him. 20 minutes later, George followed, and found Thomas as he was passing the churchyard, “lying on his right side on the grass, his feet on the footpath”. He pulled Thomas over, saw his face was purple, and thought Thomas moved his eyes as he was turned over.
Ann died in June 1903 and was buried in the Thornbury churchyard with Thomas.
Thomas and Ann had ten children
1. Mary born at Thornbury in 1847. Married a Mr Sainsbury.
2. Ann born at Thornbury in 1848. Married James Tremain at the Thornbury parish church on 13th April 1882.
3. Henry born at Thornbury in 1849.
4. Emma born at Thornbury in 1850. Baptised at the parish church on 15th December 1850.
5. Fanny born at Thornbury in 1852. Baptised in the parish church on 12th December 1852.
6. James born at Thornbury in 1854. Baptised in the parish church on 5th November 1854.
7. Alfred born at Thornbury in 1856. Baptised in the parish church on 1st June 1856
8. Caroline Elizabeth born at Thornbury on 13th July 1858. Baptised in the parish church on 9th August 1858. She married Henry Butler, a hydraulics Engineer, at the United Methodist Free Church in Liverpool on 11th September 1883. At the time of her marriage Caroline was living at 37 Cambria Street, West Derby.
Henry died at Thornbury on 10th May 1899. There was no issue from this marriage.
By 1900 Caroline had become the manageress of the Castle Temperance Hotel in Thornbury.
On 2nd June 1901 a Charles Withers was born - out of Wedlock. His birth certificate records the birth of Charles Withers to Robert and Caroline Elizabeth Withers (late Butler, nee Bevan). Robert Withers was the proprietor of the Castle Hotel Stables. Robert and Caroline were not married, as the name on her death certificate is Butler not Withers.
Shortly after the birth of Charles, on 3rd September 1901, Caroline committed suicide at her home in Castle Street, Thornbury by drowning herself in a rainwater barrel.
Charles was brought up by his father Robert Withers, who never married. Robert Withers died at New Engine, Westerleigh on 5th December 1924.
Charles Withers married Winifred Violet Edwards at St. Nicholas Tollentine, Bristol on 21st August 1926. They had four children Kenneth Robert, Catherine Joan, Winifred Mary and Peter Joseph,
Charles died at Bristol on 13th March 1975. Winifred died at Bristol on 7th June 1977. They are both buried in the Arnos Vale Cemetery in Bristol.
9. George born at Thornbury in 1860. Baptised in the parish church on 1st April 1860
10. Albert Edward born at Thornbury in 1862. Baptised in the parish church on 2nd February 1862.