JAIC states that the reason of the sinking was water on car deck, but
that the water couldn't sink the Estonia unless water entered the ship's
accommodation areas. How this was possible is not investigated. The theory
that the commission present is so vague, impossible and unbelievable that
there are no words for it. No other possible explanation is presented. At
least the commission should have excluded some of the most reasonable alternative
causes to the disaster, but not even that have been done. The alternatives
are presented here.
- Collision. Estonia could have been involved in a collision with some
floating object, or even with a ship, for example human smugglers or a
military vessel, even a submarine. A floating, or half floating object
could have hit the fin stabilization system causing a leakage.
- Sabotage. There are a number of theories of why a sabotage could have
been the reason to the disaster. It could have been because of a smuggled
cargo, it could be because of a fight between the Mafia in Riga and Tallinn,
or because of that the shipping company did not pay the Mafia "port
- Mine. Drifting mines are not unknown in the Baltic sea. Some time before
the disaster there were reports of a drifting mine a bit more north in
the Baltic sea.
- Fatigue. Some underwater part of the hull could have been poorly repaired
and has cracked or broke because of fatigue.
- Grounding. Estonia was south of her normal rote. It is quite unlikely,
but unknown underwater rocks have been found in a lot of places in the
Baltic sea during the years. One shall remember that most of the deep measurings
have been done a long time ago.
- Explosion aboard. An explosion aboard could have happened. There are
a number of tanks aboard.
None of these alternative causes have been investigated nor excluded
by any investigation. The sabotage theory was thrown over board just a couple
of days after the disaster, almost before the ship was found and long before
the visor was found.
There are several indications that some of the alternatives above could
be the real reason to the disaster.
- According to witnesses the sound was a blow, explosion or sound that
could not have been caused by the waves. The sound was extremely loud.
- The ship was lifted when the sound of the blow came.
- The ship started to move in all directions after the blow. If something
hit the fin stabilization system it could have been a normal behavior from
- There are several reports of a secret and dangerous cargo.