/English << >>English /Russian
Deutsch/English << >>English
only † †
Ernest Christopher Dowson
(For Arthur Symons)
- I WAS not sorrowful, I could not
- And all my memories were put to sleep.
- I watched the river grow more white and strange,
- All day till evening I watched it change.
- All day till evening I watched the rain
- Beat wearily upon the window pane.
- I was not sorrowful, but only tired
- Of everything that ever I desired.
- Her lips, her eyes, all day became to me
- The shadow of a shadow utterly.
- All day mine hunger for her heart became
- Oblivion, until the evening came,
- And left me sorrowful, inclined to weep,
- With all my memories that could not sleep.
© 2000 Elena and Yacov Feldman