/English << >>English /Russian
Deutsch/English << >>English
1809 - 1865
Я снова вижу старый дом
- MY childhood's home I see again,
- And sadden with the view;
- And still, as memory crowds my brain,
- There's pleasure in it, too.
- O memory! thou midway world
- 'Twixt earth and paradise,
- Where things decayed and loved ones lost
- In dreamy shadows rise,
- And, freed from all that's earthly, vile,
- Seem hallowed, pure and bright,
- Like scenes in some enchanted isle
- All bathed in liquid light.
- As dusky mountains please the eye
- When twilight chases day;
- As bugle notes that, passing by,
- In distance die away;
- As, leaving some grand waterfall,
- We, lingering, list its roar-
- So memory will hallow all
- We've known but know no more.
- Near twenty years have passed away
- Since here I bid farewll
- To woods and fields, and scenes of play,
- And playmates loved so well.
- Where many were, but few remain
- Of old familiar things,
- But seeing them to mind again
- The lost and absent brings.
- The friends I left that parting day,
- How changed, as time has sped!
- Young childhood grown, strong manhood gray;
- And half of all are dead.
- I hear the loved survivors tell
- How nought from death could save,
- Till every sound appear a knell
- And every spot a grave.
- I range the fields with pensive tread,
- And pace the hollow rooms,
- And feel (companion of the dead)
- I'm living in the tombs.
© 2000 Elena and