The best places in China by far are...
OUR FAVORITE SPOTS IN CHINA:
Also check out: Our travel tips
| : Informative web
sites on China/certain cities
still under construction)
Cities with character - what you are looking for in a China
- Lijiang - vernacular architecture; make a trip to Hu Tiao
- Kashgar - biggest Sunday bizarre in the world; nothing
- Kuche - let's hope they don't build an airport there
- Xia He - tranquility (right: Tibetan
Buddhists spin prayer wheels in Xiahe, Gansu)
- Pingyao - great, well preserved Ming and Qing dynasty
architecture and courtyards (below,
right: farmer prepares his donkey for early morning work
in Pingyao, Shanxi)
- Yangshuo - beautiful scenery; easy to travel; but too
many European expat-lifers living there now?
For food, head to:
- Chengdu -for the xiao chi alone
- Wuxi/Nanjing -
OK, but bound to disappoint:
- Three Gorges - we won't miss very much
- Ice Lantern festival (Harbin)
- Chongqing - pollution, no bikes?
- Wuhan - arm pit of the nation? ranking it this high is
- Tianjin - not much special, if you asked me
areas if you have time:
- Dalian - clean city
- Shanghai - it's where the action is
- Xiamen - must visit gu lang yu dao
- Guilin - but remember, "gui lin shan shui jia tian
xia, yang shuo feng jing jia gui lin".
- Dali - like Lijiang but too many backpackers
- Xishuangbanna - if you can go for po shui jie, you will
never forget the three days there?
Just to see the
us your top China spot
Return to (a
little) China Insight main page
of hits on this page since April 6, 1998:
This page authored by:
Copyright © (a little) China Insight. All
Last updated: April 10, 1998.