The GS Project

Gear Configuration:  Taildragger
Engine:  Continental 85 w/0-200 crankshaft
Color:  White
Stage of Completion:  ~60%

Pelican GS Serial # 1.  This aircraft was never completed by the original owner.  It was donated to a local college and  sat in storage for a number of years before I got my hands on it.  After studying the incomplete documentation that came with it, I decided the original design although good needed some changes.  My planed changes include a new rudder pedal mounting design, custom 10 gal header tank,  no flaps, spring actuated spoilers on top of the wing,  aileron control cable reroute, new placement of the control stick and BRS chute installation.  I have decided not to use the ROTAX engine because of the cost.  I think you can put 100 hp under the cowl for under $7500.  Call me crazy but I thought the whole homebuilt craze was spawned by the outrageous cost of aircraft and parts.  Seems to me that the kits and engines are creeping up pretty fast in price and complexity.  If I could afford a production airplane then I would be flying one.  THERE !  I feel better now.   Progress is slower than I thought and I expect it will take another year to finish the project.  But, that's the way it goes when you have to stop work to go to Sun-n Fun and Oshkosh every year.  I really hate that!

Engine:  After alot of thought I have decided to use the C-85 engine.  When stroked with an O-200 crankshaft, the engine produces about 95-100 hp.  The following is my rational for this engine choice:

1.  parts are readily available almost anywhere in the world
2.  they are cheap ( I expect to pay about $5000 for a half time engine with logs)
3.  maintenance in simple
4.  the weight doesn't break the bank (<200lbs)
5.  A cub engine mount can be used? (I hope)
6.  TBO of at least 2000hrs
7.  The 5-6 gph fuel burn works well with my 22 gal capacity

 Click here to email Craig

Click on the Pic!

Pic 1.  Picking up the airplane
Pic 2.  Gear is painted and ready for installation
Pic 3.  New rudder pedal and stick design
Pic 4.  New aileron design installed
Pic 5.  Fuel tank plug take shape
Pic 6.  Bottom half of tank pulled from plug
Pic 7.  First Tank pulled and glassed together (capacity 14 gallons)
Pic 8.  Tank after a 2.5 inch section was removed (capacity 10 gallons)   Note: notice steel plates used as reinforcement for aux tank lines
Pic 9.  The 10 gallon version being fitted
Pic 10.  Fuel Cap location (Note: bobber type fuel qty gauge)

UPDATED on 5/10/99