Lost Souls

A Fanfic by Vegita, Guardian Of Destiny

        A bright flash of light.  A swift breeze.  The rocky landscape.  The blinding sun.  And him there, staring.  Vegita looked down upon Gokuu with hate in his eyes, a hate unsurpassed by anything.  "Except my strength," thought Vegita. Today was only a distant memory, yet was as real to him now as his morning breakfast had been not an hour ago.  He savored the taste of the wind, the slight heat temperature, the glare from the sun, a slight itch in his shoulder.  "Are you going to fight, or not?"  Gokuu called out.  Vegita smiled.  "No, I'm not going to fight.  That'd be to hard for you."  With that, Vegita moved with a speed that Gokuu couldn't follow then...no, Gokuu could never follow this speed.  Or match it. Or beat it.  As Gokuu's eyes looked everywhere for his opponent, Vegita calmly struck up a pose directly behind his adversary.  His fist plunged through Gokuu' chest, from the back.  His scream echoed for miles.  Vegita smiled.  He had imagined it would sound this way.  The light from the sun suddenly faded around Vegita, and he was plunged into darkness.
        "Training simulator complete.  Objective:  Kakkorot.  Status:  Terminated."  The computer rattled off the statistics of the latest simulated battle as the harsh florescent lights came up in the room.  Vegita ignored the recorded voice of his wife, pondering on his latest victory.  He didn't notice Trunks enter the room from the door behind him.  "Father," he began. Vegita stopped him mid-sentence with a raising of his hand.  Without looking up, Vegita said, "I've beaten him a thousand different ways on a thousand different planets.  I've killed him every way I know of-"  Trunks cut him off.  "Yet you won't stop.  You know, Dad, you really shouldn't do this.  Mom and I are getting worried.  You spend too much time in here, doing the same thing over and over again.  The Simulator wasn't made so you can go back to any time in your life and do something differently."  Vegita looked at his son coldly.  "I know what it was made for.  It was made so I can train to be stronger."
        Trunks began, "And you are stronger!  I'll bet even Gohan would be awed at your strength.  Heck, if me and Goten ever fused again-"  Vegita turned, grabbed his son by the throat, and lifted him off the ground.  "If you EVER mention that bratty son of a....son of a....son of..."  He trailed off.  Trunks wrenched himself free of his grasp, and walked over to the door.  "Besides," Vegita said, "You're right.  I am stronger, aren't I?"  Trunks turned and left his father in the cold confines of the training facility, while Vegita walked over to the panel to punch in the next scenario.  "I am stronger, physically.  I have healed so many times, it's impossible to count; death is but a fleeting memory.  But..." he looked up from the program screen.  "When will my mind heal?"  He punched in the keywords 'Namek', 'Freeza', and 'Piccolo', and went to work.

        Trunks walked across the courtyard, where his mother was lying under a shading umbrella with the Capsule Corp. logo on it.  She was sipping a margarita, and reading a manual on hypercar races.  "Did you know," she said as he approached, "That those cars can get up to speeds of 2,000 K.P.H.?  Can you believe that?  And Vegita can fly faster than that without breaking a sweat."  Trunks looked at her with disgust.  "What about me?  I can do that too, you know!" He sat next to her in a wicker chair.  
        "Why are you looking at that?  You planning on becoming a driver?  Trying to do something dangerous just so you can earn enough money to make ends meet?"  
        His mother laughed.  "Sure, honey.  That's it.  Since the President of the company doesn't know the first thing about running a business, he's killing off our profits.  I guess it couldn't hurt to use my knowledge to create a car that would easily ace theirs."  
        Trunks gave her a strange look. "What do you mean?  You can't be serious!  You know full and well that you wouldn't survive a car wreck at 60 Kilometers an hour, let alone 2,000!  Only dad and I could survive that.  Or The Son family, or the Kuririn Clan, or even...Yamcha?"
        Bulma looked up from the manual, and glared at her son.  "How do you know about Yamcha?  Did Veggie tell you about that?"  
        "How could he?  He didn't know him.  The most Dad ever knew of him was that he saw him die by those weird little seed-men, and Android #19 did him in, or various other times he lost in a fight."  He sat back in his chair.  "What did you ever see in him?  He never trained that hard.  The most he ever did was try to get stronger than TenShinHan and Kuririn.  And the short time that I ever saw him, he was dying because Dr. Gero had nearly killed him."
        "I guess he felt he didn't need to try so hard once you were around, dear."  Trunks looked away in disgust.  "Mom," he said, "I'm a grown man.  Don't call me dear."  She kept going. "Oh, does my little snookums not like that?  Does my widdle iddy biddy baby boy not want his mommy to call him-"
        "You know, sometimes you really make me sick."  They both turned and looked at Vegita, who was standing over them with the usual pose: arms crossed, head up, etc.  "But then again, that's the price I pay for marrying you."  Bulma looked at Trunks, then him again.  "So, how did you kill Gokuu this time?  Beat him to death with a chicken?  Drop a house on him?  Pick up a dead Namekian and club him with it for a while?"
        "No, no, and yes.  That one was rather fun.  Piccolo squirms a lot."  Trunks and Bulma gave him an odd look.  Vegita continued.  "But enough of that.  When's lunch?  I'm starving."  Bulma's first instinct was to say "She probably sneezed," but decided not to, since neither of them would have gotten the joke.  "Why do you always want to eat?  I swear, sometimes you remind me of-"  He cut her off by lifting up her chair, with her in it.  "Don't you dare speak that name!!!!"  he yelled.  He then stormed off, after dropping the chair.  Trunks managed to catch Bulma.  They both watched him fly off.  "Why does he do it?  Why does he continue to torture himself?  He knows that we can't bring him back.  Shen Long said we can't use the Dragon Balls, and we don't even know if he's dead or not!"  Bulma looked to her son, and replied, "I know.  All we know is that he disappeared.  He could be anywhere.  Hanging out in the afterlife, floating along out in space..."  She looked up at the sky.  "I haven't been in space for ages.  I wonder if I should take a vacation."  Trunks snorted at the notion.  "Sure, you need a vacation.  Fron your busy schedule of sitting around and dreaming of becoming a racer."  She ignored him, and began reading her story again.

        "Why no, actually, I haven't seen her."  Dr. Briefs looked at the girl.  "Why do you want to find Bulma?  If you want a mechanic, I can help you, you know-"  "Thanks, but no thanks," she cut him off.  "I'll just look around here myself."  She turned and walked off, heading for the door leading outside to the courtyard.  The harsh sunlight made her squint her eyes, as she put her hand to her forehead to block the sun's rays.  She spied Trunks and Bulma off in the distance, talking underneath the shade of an umbrella.  She flew over to the site, and landed in front of Bulma's lawnchair.  "Well well well, if it isn't Pan, my father's mortal enemy's granddaughter.  I see you've grown up quite nicely."  She shot him an angry look, and turned back to Bulma.  "I'm only 19, Trunks.  I've got a ways to go to grow up.  Then again, I'm not that much younger than you and Uncle Goten, now am I?"  Bulma looked up from her manual.  "So, what brings you here, Pan?  Looking for Bra to do some shopping with?  I'm afraid she already beat you to the punch, she left for the mall an hour ago."  She shook her head.  "No, I want to look at some of your...old equipment."
        Bulma looked at her, puzzled.  "What do you mean, old equipment?  I've got plenty of equipment that's decades old, but what are you looking for specifically?"  Pan looked at Trunks, then back to Bulma.  "I'm looking for the equipment my grandfather used."  Trunks cut in.  "Huh?  What are you talking about?  He didn't use anything but his fists and that Space Pod.  Oh, I get it.  You want to use it to train, don't you?"  She paused.  "Yes.  Where is it?"  Bulma pointed off to the west, where a small building, the size of a small toolshed, was kept.  "It's in there, with the other stuff I used at about that time.  Neither of you would know about it, but I had some pretty hecktick adventures on Namek, too.  I had to go underwater, in a gigantic walker, and I had to deal with Zarbon, and Vegita, and..." She trailed off when she realized that they didn't know what she was talking about.  Or didn't believe her, she couldn't tell.
        "Thank you.  I won't destroy it or anything."  She headed for the building.  Trunks called after her "And you'd better have that thing home by 11 o' clock, or no TV for you!  And if you scratch it, it's coming out of your allowance!"  She smiled, and walked on.  Bulma went back to her manual.  "Why, because if she scratched it, we wouldn't be able to afford to fix it?"  Trunks grabbed the manual from her.  "Gimme this thing.  I might as well look at it if you're going to be that way."

        Pan rummaged through the various objects that littered the floor of the room, which was several times the size of it's outer shell.  She spied the ship off in one corner, but kept on looking.  "It's got to be in here somewhere," she thought to herself.  She looked upon the shelves, underneath the piles of capsules labeled "Bulma's Cars", and even in the ship itself.  No luck.  Then, she noticed a safe on a shelf high above the ship.  A slight glimmer of silver caught her eye.  "Thought no one would notice it, huh, Bulma?"  She grabbed the safe, fiddled with the combination for a few minutes, then shook her head in disgust, and punched through the door.  She ripped the door off, and looked inside.  There it was.  The Dragon Radar.

Home