Gambit My Love
by Gamine

Chapter Two

The car pulled up noiselessly in front of a large mansion. All four occupants stepped out. Vadeline twisted her head as she stepped out. She had never seen such a huge and grand mansion before.She stood there, awed by the grandeur of the mansion. However, she remembered her companions and turned around blushing, feeling stupid. Now they probably think I'm a country bumpkin or something, she thought to herself.

Gambit who was just standing behind her, as though sensing her thoughts, clapped a hand around her shoulder. " Don' worry p'tite. We all here once stood like dat in front of de mansion too, gawkin' at it." He grinned assuringly at Vadeline. Vadeline was astounded when he touched her. Now she just stood there speechless. Wow, he touched me, she thought stupidly. Wake up, it was just a friendly touch, it didn't mean anything, she brought herself back to reality.

She had learned quite a lot in the car ride to the mansion. They had given her names and the codenames of all the mutants in the mansion. She was surprised, she never knew there were so many mutants around.

Beast who was smiling, urged, " Come my little beauty friend, the rest of the X-men await your arrival."

Rogue took the initiative, knowing that Vadeline was probably frightened and too nervous to approach the awaiting X-men. She picked up the heavy luggage as though it was a feather and strode towards the large mahogany doors. Beast followed behind Rogue, hopping.

Vadeline took a deep breath. She braced herself for what was coming. Gambit sensing her nervousness, said, " C'me along p'tite, dey be waitin' f'r y'." She took the advice and walked in, Gambit just a step behind her.


"So you are Vadeline and I believe you're fifteen this year?", the voice enquired sweetly.

"Yes ma'am." Vadeline answered hesitantly. I thought they knew my name, guess not. The woman with flaming red hair answered as though Vadeline had said her thoughts out aloud, " I'm sorry, I do know your name. I just thought it would be easier for you to talk if you have to introduce yourself." Again, the sweet smile.

Vadeline stood there astounded. She stared intently at Jean Grey Summers and admired her. Her face was flawless, her flaming red hair was attention commanding, her figure, like all the other x-women was a perfect hourglass. Are my thoughts that obvious?

"To that question Vadeline, the answer is yes." The voice came from behind her. Professor Charles Xavier, a bald man in a hoverchair , teacher of many great mutants, founder of the school was behind her. " Jean like yourself and I and all of us here are mutants. Born with an X-factor which declares us mutants. Jean's powers are telekinesis and telepathy, therefore she is able to 'read' your thoughts as though they had been spoken aloud.

"The Professor's right and I'm Cyclops." The voice belonged to a tall man. Although Cyclops was tall, he was still about two inches shorter than Gambit. Cyclops was wearing a blue uniform and a yellow utility belt. It's like the cartoon heroes, Vadeline thought, looking at Cyclops. He wears his underwear outside, she grinned to herself. He was quite handsome and Vadeline might have liked him better than Gambit but Cyclops lacked the dangerous flair that Gambit had, the charming personality. Cyclops was too solid, firm and good. Not the type for Vadeline. "Hi I'm Vadeline", she offered her hand to Cyclops.

"Welcome to the family", he replied, taking her hand in a firm handshake.

Beast came bouncing up to Vadeline." Ah my little beauty friend. May I introduce our own weather witch," Beast smiled jokingly, "Storm." A regal chocolate-skinned woman with long white hair stepped from behind Beast.

"Hello, I am Storm. People call me Storm because I have the ability to control the weather. I am pleased to meet you." Storm introduced herself .

"Hi I'm Vadeline and I really don't have the slightest clue what my powers are called," Vadeline smiled shyly.

"Since we have finished our introductions, I believe it would not be too bad a time to ask Vadeline here," Beast inclined his head at her, "to demonstrate her mutant powers to us in order to define the nature of her powers.

"I think that's a good idea Hank." Iceman replied. He had taken a liking to this girl. He could feel she was nervous and a little frightened but it would be fun to have someone like her around. Afterall, they had missed Jubilee's fun-loving character after she left and this girl wasn't too far from Jubilee's age. He smiled, thinking of all the pranks he could ask her to play on the other members of the team.

Bobby, do not even think about it Jean's voice echoed in his head.

Bobby shook his head regretfully. Telepaths can sure take the fun out of a prank.


The sign outside read "Danger Room". Vadeline wasn't sure if she liked the name of the room. it sounded so dangerous yet the element of danger had always excited her, like Gambit, dangerous. The rest of the X-men crowded inside the room. The room was empty of any furnishings. Vadeline spotted Rogue standing behind Gambit, whispering something into his ear and Gambit gave a low chuckle. He looked so happy, she thought. I guess he's taken. Looking at Rogue's perfect figure, emerald green eyes, flawless skin she felt disheartened. Girl, you can forget about Gambit. He's Rogue's.

"In order to supply you with the required equipment for you to perform your gifts," Professor's voice interrupted Vadeline's reverie and she turned her attention back, " We would require at least an idea of what you can do."

"Well, I guess to put it simply, I kinda like charge things up if that's the way to describe it." Vadeline answered hesitantly.

Everyone gasped. Vadeline could hear Gambit's name being mentioned as the X-men started whispering. Almost as abruptly as the whispering started, it ended after Professor Xavier gave them a stony look. Vadeline could see the look of surprise on Gambit's face as she turned around again.

"Gambit, could you please lend Vadeline some of your cards?" Professor Xavier enquired.

"Sure t'ing P'fessor. She c'n have a deck of dem. Gambit hav' lot of dese t'ings anyway." Gambit walked up to Vadeline, bent down and handed a deck of cards to her from the pocket of his trenchcoat. While doing so, he whispered, " Do y' best p'tite." Vadeline looked up in surprise. it almost seemed as though he had not said anything. His face was emotionless as he strode back to his place beside Rogue.

"Vadeline, kindly proceed." Beast grinned at her.

Vadeline closed her eyes and concentrated. She held the playing cards in her hands. She could feel the energy coursing through her body. However it was not sufficient to even light the cards. Gambit's words echoed in her mind... Do y' best p'tite, do y' best p'tite... The energy suddenly coursed through her in an even stronger wave. She let the energy flow into the cards and they illuminated brightly. She could heard gasps from all around the room. She allowed as much energy to flow into the cards, as much as the flimsy pieces of paper could take. when she sensed that the cards could take no more, she opened her eyes in a panic and screamed, " The cards can't take much more!"

Everyone was horrified. they had seen how much damage Gambit's charged cards could do when they exploded. And there Vadeline was holding a DECK of cards glowing with energy. No one knew what to do. Vadeline took a deep breath. she recalled vaguely that she could also draw back the kinetic energy from some of the objects she charged up. Perhaps it might also work now. She closed her eyes again, brows furrowed in concentration. She could hear the X-men rushing around, preparing to do something. Whatever it was, she did not know. She could feel the energy in the cards, almost overflowing the limits. She tried to pull back the energy from the cards. She could feel its reluctance to flow back into her, but her will held. She pulled again, this time with a greater force and she felt the energy slowly flowing back into her. The pure energy, threatening to fill her veins and pop them. Still she held on, pulling every ounce of energy back. finally after what seemed like aeons, the felt the last of the energy flow back into her. The cards no longer glowed with energy when she opened her eyes and saw Gambit just beside her, hands stretched out to take the cards from her. But the cards no longer was a threat. They were just simple playing cards.

Gambit's eyes opened wide and his jaw dropped when he saw the deck of cards, drained of whatever energy that was just a moment ago a danger, flutter dramatically to the floor harmlessly.

Beads of sweat covered Vadeline's pretty face, Gambit noted. She look like in bad shape t' me, he thought. Before he could ask her anything, Vadeline collapsed. Gambit caught her in his arms just a moment before she hit the floor.

Vadeline could only hear faint voices asking her if she was all right as all the X-men rushed up to her as she slipped into sweet oblivion, the darkness of her mind.

To be continued in Gambit My love Chapter Three...