X-Men Fanfiction Games, A Cajun's Love (Shifting Sands)

Games: A Cajun's Love

By Jessica Lonchas
July 1997

Part One

It all started two months ago when the crystal waved threatened the very existence of what was known as Earth. When it hit the two X-men, Rogue and Gambit, shared a forbidden kiss . . . then the wave stopped short and everything changed back to normal. Gambit was in a coma however and Rogue had left the X-men. Then the two of them met again in Seattle and Rogue said good bye.

It's been three weeks since what happened in Seattle . . . the young woman known only as Rogue sits by the river in Caldecott County where in a sense her life began. It was there she first found out about her powers . . . her best friend Cody Robbins and her came to the old tree . . . they had kissed and then Cody fell unconscious. Rogue then felt all his memories spill into her mind.

And now she feels the memories of the man she loves, Remy Lebeau, in her mind . . . most of them are subsiding . . . leaving her ever so slowly . . . the pain of his feelings, knowing he did something wrong but not knowing what he did does not hurt her . . . it's knowing that she let the one man she has ever loved with every breath she takes, with all her heart and soul, go that is eating her . . .

So she retreated back here . . . to her home . . . where Mystique raised her. She retreats to the happy memories of the birthday parties . . . a cake, a couple presents, and the love was all that mattered. How easy those days seem compared to now.

Rogue dips her feet into the Mississippi River. She looks across the river. No boats are out today. The river glides along slowly, almost calmly.

"It's very beautiful here," says a voice behind her. "Reminds me of where I was raised."

Rogue turns to see the man known as Sinister behind her. She looks at him and then turns away. "Such a nice place to be raised," he continues.

"May ah help ya?" She asks bitterly.

"Do you ever wonder why Rogue?" he asks.

"Why what?" she asks him bewildered.

"Why Mystique or Xavier or the X-men have never been able to help you . . .? He says.

She turns away and looks back at the river. "Let me help Rogue. Do you remember what Beast said when he let me take Threnody with me?" he asks.

She remembers very well. Rogue gets up. "Leave me alone Sinister. Ah don't want yoah help," she says and walks towards her home.

"I wasn't asking," he says. He pulls out a gun and shoots the laser at her fool force. She's knocked unconscious. He picks her up and teleports away.

De Danger Room . . . used t'be one of my favorite places in de mansion . . . you never know what's gonna happen' . . . just de way I like it . . . most of de time. Today it only reminds me of Rogue . . . when we used t'do dis together. Stormy's up in de control room wit' de professor . . . dey want t'know how my recovery's commin' along . . . good as can be considerin' I'm distracted . . . need t'put my mind on de danger room . . . a robot comes right at me . . . a card does the trick . . . "Smile cherie," I'd tell her when we were in here.

"Gambit this is not a game," she'd say in dat sweet voice of hers.

"Life is a game Rogue," I said. "Give me de time and opportunity I'll show you…"

SNAP! The Danger Room sequence was ended . . . everything gone . . . jus' like Rogue. I sighed and walked out of the Danger room. "I was distracted," I tell Storm.

She smiles at me . . . I've been distracted since Rogue left . . . I have t'get out for awhile. . . "Tell de Professor I'm leavin' for a couple of hours," I said.

Before she could speak I was out of de house. I heard her call my name . . . tell me t'stop but I needed t'clear my head . . .

A couple hours later . . .

Ororo Monroe, aka Storm, sat at the kitchen table drinking a cup of tea. She was waiting for her friend Remy LeBeau to come back. She looked out the window and saw the rain begin to pour down. He has been so distant since Seattle. Bobby keeps looking at him with daggers in his eyes. Bobby wasn't exactly sure what happened but he was mad at Gambit. Remy wouldn't even talk about what happened. He could be so frustrating. "Waiting up for Gambit?" a voice, asked from behind.

Storm turned to see Jean Grey standing in the doorway with her robe. She nodded. Jean walked over to her.

"He's been so distant ever since he came back from Seattle," Storm said. "I'm worried."

Jean nodded. "We all are Ororo," she said.

"All are what?" the two women heard.

They turned to see Gambit standing in the doorway. Jean gave him a smile and walked out of the kitchen. Gambit took of his trench coat and shook his chestnut brown hair to try to get the water out. "Coffee?" Storm asked him.

"T'anks Stormy," he said.

"Do not call me that," she said pouring him some in a cup.

He smiled as she gave it to him. She decided now was as good a time as any to find out what had happened. "Remy," Storm asked. "What happened in Seattle with Rogue?"

He stared into his cup. "Remy, I am your friend tell me. Why has Rogue left?" she asked.

"I don't know," he lied.

"For a thief you're not a very good liar," she said.

"Guess not," he said.

They heard the phone ring. I'll get it, they heard Jean say. "Remy," Storm began.

She was cut off by Jean. Rogue's on the phone.

The X-men all gathered in the war room to hear Rogue. "Well hi everyone. I, um, ah just wanted ta let ya know that ah'm okay," she said over the speakers.

"We are glad you are okay my friend," Storm said.

"When ya commin' home darlin?" Wolverine asked.

"In a couple of daaaaaaaaaaaaaaahs" she screamed.

"Rogue!!!"

Nothing was heard but static.

"Cerebro locate Rogue," Professor X said.

"Rogue is in Caldecott County, Mississippi. Also identifying another signature . . . computing . . . other signature is Mr. Sinister."

"Cyclops take the blue team down to Caldecott and help Rogue out," Xavier said.

Ten minutes later in Caldecott the blackbird landed. "Search the house and woods. We can't let him get away," Cyclops yelled.

"Her scent went cold halfway back to the house," Wolverine told Gambit as they searched the woods.

"But if her scent cold dere, how she call us?" Gambit asked him.

"Don't know Gumbo. Somethin' ain't right," he said. "Let's go see if the others got any thing."

The group met back by the jet. A lady with blond hair, wearing a blue cat suit stood waiting for them. Wolverine's claws popped out.

"Switchback," Remy said.

" 'allo Remy. Long time no see. Rashelle and I been getting' worried about you," she said.

"Where does he have her Switchback?" Remy asked.

"Uh-uh uh. You know better than that Remy. You know I can't tell you. You have to play his little game. This time the stakes are high. You have to win if you ever want to see your lady love again," she said.

"What do I have to do?" he asked.

"Come back to where it all started. To where we met. Your first clues there. Happy hunting," she said then disappeared.

"Gambit what's going on? Who was that? How do you know her? Why was she here?" Cyclops asked angrily.

"Somethin' in my past's come back t'haunt me. Now I got t'go back t'de place I dread most in de world," Gambit said.

"Want any help Gumbo?" Wolverine asked.

"Non, but t'anks for de offer," he said.

He ran off to the road and got picked up by a truck. "Let's get back to the mansion. We need to talk to the professor," Cyclops said.

In a hidden base Sinister sat in a chair. Four mutants stood in front of him. One is Switchback. Rogue lays unconscious in a cell before them "Let the games begin," Sinister said to the four mutants. They nodded and dissapeared.


On to Part Two.
Or
Back to the Games: A Cajun's Love index page.