Shattered Dreams

By Jessica Lonchas
Part Eight

 

San Francisco, California

Nathaniel Essex, more appropriately known as Sinister, appeared outside the Walter Riley Genetic Research Lab with the Browne twins. "You know what to do." He ordered.

Timothy and Thomas Browne looked at him, eyes glowing a bright white, and nodded. They disappeared. Sinister looked at the building a second time and sent bright yellow forcebolts at it. Parts of it crumbled towards the ground. Screaming was soon heard and then people began to emerge from the building. More forcebolts hit the building.


X-Mansion

Charles Xavier floated into the infirmary. He picked up the chart at the end of Rogue's bed and looked at them wearily. "She needs rest Charles. She'll get better." Dr. McCoy said from behind.

"Do you have any medical advice?"

"No Danger Room sessions or missions Charles. I'd suggest only assigning her to minimal tasks. Also--"

BEEP.BEEP. "Mutant activity at the Walter Riley Genetics Lab . . . mutant designate . . .processing . . .Sinister.

Xavier glanced at Beast. X-Men report to War Room.


Xavier and Beast entered the War Room and took their places around the table. Xavier motioned towards the main screen. Pictures of the Genetic Research Lab appeared. "Scott, Ororo, take the teams and stop him."

"What about Gambit sir? And Rogue?" Scott asked.

Xavier glanced at Gambit. "Gambit you're with Storm's team. Hank?"

"Rogue stays here Charles."

Xavier looked at Mystique and Forge. Forge nodded.


Beast walked back to the infirmary and glanced at Rogue's sleeping form. He opened the door to his laboratory and Mozart began to play as the door closed behind him.


Xavier clicked the lights on as he entered his office and moved towards the desk. "Computer open the Carleton file."

The computer screen went from black to . . . black? The lights had gone off. Xavier sent out a mental probe. Nothing but Hank and Rogue. He mentally turned on the lights and sighed.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a figure. He turned the wheelchair abruptly and saw Sinister. Beast get Rogue out of here now. Sinister smiled and stepped aside. Beast and Rogue lay on the floor. Rogue! he screamed into her mind.

"Xavier you are a fool," Sinister knocked him off the wheelchair with a forcebolt. He turned back around to Beast and . . .Rogue? She was gone. He turned back to Xavier who smiled as he slipped away into unconsciousness. "ROGUE! You can't win child!"


Rogue ran from the elevator towards the Communications Room. Have ta tell the others. Come on girl shake it off. It's just a headache.. She skidded to a halt and entered the room, quickly typing in some codes.


"Whats our ETA?" Storm asked.

"About an hour left," Warren said. "If we don't run into anymore commercial traffic even less."

Storm nodded and glanced back at the others. The tension between Gambit and Scott couldn't have been cut by a chain say. She sighed and turned back towards the controls as a beeping noise was heard. She pushed in a button. "Storm her."

"Storm . .it's Rogue . . . come back . . .trick . . ."

"Rogue? What's wrong? Slow down."

Gambit and Mystique were at the cockpit in a flash. "Chere go back t'bed. Beast said y'need rest--"

"Ya don't understand . . .Sinister's here not over in San Fran . . .He's--oh mah god--"

"Rogue? What's goin' on?"

"Rogue is fine, for now."

Remy went white at the voice. "Sinister." Mystique said.

"Sinister!" Scott yelled angrily. "How the hell did he get to the mansion."

"Rogue is fine as are Beast and Xavier. If you wish to see them I suggest you shut up and listen . . .good. Welcome to the game X-Men. Your first clue is at home . . . son."

"I am not your son!" Scott screamed.

I wasn't referring to you Scott."

Gambit fell to the floor. His world shattering to pieces in front of him. "Rogue!" Mystique screamed. His mind echoed the cry.


On to Part Nine
Or
Back to the Shattered Dreams index page