The Reflection In The Mirror

By ScarletLady

Part Twelve

 

Dakota blew a mental sigh. **Remy, you can't take this on yourself. There's times that fate interferes and blows your plans to hell in a coal car, but it's not your fault. Life isn't something you can get mad about. Fate isn't a person you can yell at. There are times when being who you are can make a difference, and times when God himself has to bow to the rules. This is one of those times, baby. No, I don't particularly want to die. This morning, that would have been another story, but there is nothing I can do about it. I can't magically decide I don't want to die after all, but thank you for the offer.**

**Focus on the good, Remy. Go watch Peter Pan. Skip rocks on the river. Build a sand castle. Do anything you want, but understand that you cannot control the future. My dying is not part of some great and intricate plot to ruin your life, it simply is. You have a responsibility to yourself to live in a way that makes you happy. So listen, this is the way it's going to be. You can be sad about me for a while, but I didn't have a sad life. Tough, yes, but not sad. Your staying sad about me would be telling the world that I never did anything that made anyone happy, and that isn't true. You laughed, and you smiled at me. That's what I want you to remember about me. How I made you smile. It's a beautiful smile, Remy. I'm sorry I won't see more of it.**

Remy made a choked sound, and lifted his head from her hand, but not his eyes. "Chere, I hear what you be sayin', but it's hard believin' it. Specially dat part 'bout my smile. Dat fire I was tellin' you 'bout messed me up but good. Don' look like nothin' dat anyone could like. Don' see many people who can look me in de...eyes. Petite, in some ways I be glad dat you not awake. Dis way you never look at me like ever'one else. Dis way you won't have to fight de screams ever'body wants to make when dey first see me."

**Remy?**

Remy's tone was still a little choked, and a lot lifeless. "Yeah, chere?"

**Who said I wasn't awake?**