-Clash fans have a history of feeling as if they have been quote on quote “screwed.” Meaning they feel as if they have gotten the short end of the stick, or a raw deal on more than one occasion. Carlos Hermosillo, Missael Espinoza, and the whole Alan Rothenberg situation just to name a few. But, now the Clash have a new Investor/Operator in the Kraft Corporation, headed by Robert Kraft and things seem to be changing..
The first thing the Kraft Corporation did was to overhaul the entire Clash roster. Only eleven players remain from the 1998 roster.
The Clash has built a solid foundation in San Jose," Meterparel said. "Our job will be to build on that foundation, to make our players an integral part of the community and to make Spartan Stadium the place to be - for soccer fans and for families just looking for good, affordable entertainment." With her main job being to put more fans in the seats of Spartan Stadium, Friday’s announcement that all 32 games being televised on television could only help. “The real image of major league is having your games on TV,” said Lynne Meterparel, the Clash's new general manager. “We are looking at people at home, who in this market are very busy, who want to catch the second half after they've been on the field all day with their kids.” Head investor Robert Kraft reiterated Meterparel’s sediments, “I don't believe that showing home games hurts the gate,'' he said. “I believe it helps market the team.”
Yet ultimately in order to attract more fans the team would need to be better than they had been under the last regime. In trying to address their needs the Clash went out aggressively and filled their void in midfield with many prospects. Unlike last year, the Clash have more to fall back on then just Juan Pablo Rodriguez alone. The Clash acquired Marcelo Vega from the New York/New Jersey Metrostars.
The new Kraft regime has not even been in office long enough to unpack their boxes, yet they have given Clash fans a lot of hope with their interesting off-season moves. In just a few short months this ownership has turned this team into a reasonable contender for a playoff birth. Maybe not a good enough teams for the MLS Cup but still a very formidable and exciting team with an endless array of potential. The most important thing of all this team has built a potential winner with young players and they have given up on trying to build around bewildered Clash star Eric Wynalda, who appers to be on his way out if he ever comes back from Leon, of the Mexican First Division. This team is now built on a core of youn players who should be exciting this upcoming season and dynamite in the next few seasons to come, as long as the new Clash regime can make sure they don't repeat the trend of getting "screwd," like the last Clash regime. So far, so good.
Do not hit the reload button on your browser, that score is correct.
The U.S. Men's National Team ended their scoring woes in a hurry aganist one of the most dominant teams in the world Saturday. The U.S. team not having scored a goal since Brian McBride's lone goal in France 98, came out and completely manhandled Germany.
The U.S. had a magic triangle with Claudio Reyna, Jovan Kirovski, and Chris Armas doing all the ditry work for them. Armas played a sensational game, doing all the dirty work needed so Reyna, and Kirovski could run free and patrol the middle. Arena started Cobi Jones up top and had Eddie Lewis, of the San Jose Clash, and Tony Sanneh playing the flanks. This combination of players played beautifully with speed and brute aganist a ususally very physical German team.
Jovan Kirovski opened the scoring bergade in the 16th minute for the U.S. with a brilliant shot, that was clocked at 76 m.p.h. just outside of the penalty box. Kirovski's goal was truly one for the highlight films. "This [game] was really important," said Kirovski, "It was good for our confidence and shows how all the hard work paid off for us."
Next it was Tony Sanneh's turn, in the 24th minute. Sanneh scored a breakaway goal in a one on one situation with German keeper. Sanneh stole the ball from German midfielder Jens Jeremies and sped towards the German goal, drawing the keeper out and slipping a shot to the left corner past Kahn.
But, the U.S. was not done there just two minutes later, in the 26th minute. Eddie Lewis sent a low cross off a pass from Chris Armas to Claudio Reyna. Reyna was standing all alone in the box and put an easy empty netter in the back of the goal, to seal the game with a kiss for the U.S.
The always melodramatic Bruce Arena tried to downplay the huge victory after the game. "This was a great team effort for us today," said Arena. "But I don't want to dwell on one good performance. What I'm most happy about is the fact that we have improved each week we have been together." But, no matter what type of spin Arena tried to put on his first victory as U.S. Head Coach, German fans will not be happy.
This victory, even though only a friendly, will go down as won of the greatest victories in U.S. Soccer history. A lot of International respect, that was lost during France 98, should be won back with this stunning victory over a tremendous world power.
February 6, 1999 | 1 | 2 | F |
Germany | 0 | 0 | 0 |
USA | 3 | 0 | 3 |
USA Today Report | Report@US-Soccer.com |
CNNSI Report | ESPN Report |
USA - Jovan Kirovski, (Jeff Agoos), 16,
USA - Tony Sanneh, (unassisted), 24,
USA - Claudio Reyna, (Eddie Lewis), 26.
USA - 1-Tony Meola, 4-Robin Fraser, 12-Jeff Agoos, 5-C.J. Brown, 7-Eddie Lewis (2-Frankie Hejduk, 77), 14-Chris Armas, 10-Claudio Reyna (Capt.), 17-Tony Sanneh, 8-Jovan Kirovski (9-Joe-Max Moore, 86), 13-Cobi Jones (15-Roy Lassiter, 86), 20-Brian McBride.
GER - 1-Oliver Kahn, 10-Lothar Matthaus (Capt.), 2-Markus Babbel, 5-Marko Rehmer, 13- Alexander Zickler (17-Marco Bode, 46), 16-Jens Jeremies, 20-Carsten Ramelow (8-Christian Nerlinger, 46), 18-Lars Ricken, 7-Andreas Moller, 9-Michael Preetz, 11-Olaf Marschall.
The MLS season has broken through the horizon, like the dawning of another new day.
But, now this Major League Soccer’s fourth time rising, leaves many questions open, for many teams. Now entering his second full year with the team, there is still a lot of work left to do for Clash Head Coach Brian Quinn as he gets set to open camp. Its been an interesting offseason with Alan Rothenberg, pictured on the right, backing out as Clash owner and Kraft coming in. But, those of you who though the 49ers had front office problems obviously didn't pay much attention to the Clash.
Lets focus on the field for now. For starters the Clash top stars are not in camp, all for various reasons. Their biggest name, Eric Wynalda, is still on loan with Mexican First Division Club Leon. Weather he ever comes back to play with the Clash is very much in doubt. With last week’s acquisition of Raul Diaz Arce from the New York/New Jersey Metrostars, rumors are swirling that Eric Wynalda will be the future consideration that the Clash promised in the deal.
Which leads us to the two other Clash strikers, fan favorite Ronald Cerritos and the Clash’s biggest off-season acquisition Raul Diaz Arce are still holding out for more money. MLS Deputy Commissioner Sunil Gulati doesn’t seem like he wants to negotiate much. "They are AWOL without permission," Gulati reiterated basically his same statement last week when he found out the Raul Diaz Arce was going to be holding out for money. "It's time for me to get some respect in this league. I mean, I did help to get where it is today. I am uncertain about how things will turn out between the league and I, but I can tell you this. Unless I get more money I will not play in 1999", said Raul Diaz Arce. Commisioner Doug Logan sounded quite upset when he heard the news, "They're not in camp, which means they won't get paid, which means they'll get suspended." The commisioner said that Diaz Arce will be fined $250.00 for everyday that he misses after Wednesday. Arce wants more money, but Cerritos just wants to make sure his deal is for two years and not four like he agreed to. "If the commissioner gives him a two-year contract, the deal is done," Rod Moskowitz(Cerritos Agent) said.
As if Quinn did not have enough to worry about with the upcoming draft, and missing players, he has to try and run camp without probably the best player he has Eddie Lewis. Lewis is still training with the National Team for their upcoming game with Germany. Quinn can only hope to have him back in time for the team’s trip down south to Mexico, as part of their training.
But, along with all this stress there is good news, the Clash officially announced that Scott Bower has been allocated to the team as a Project 40 player. Yet along with this glimmer of hope, comes distress. The Clash are in a catch-22 when it comes to emotions on Bower. They must be excited that they have landed a very capable player and a potential rising star. Yet, at the same time comes the realization that Bower is a rookie and he will miss most, if not all of camp with his Under-23 National Team duties. Plus Bower will probably miss part of the season while he is trying to help the Under-23 team qualify for Sydney 2000. But, still the signing of a young player with potential is good. Coach Quinn offered these words about his new player, "Scott is a very promising young player who will benefit from playing around the seasoned professionals that are on our roster."
With all the turnover on the Clash roster and in the Clash front office, the players on the team seem to be excited about their potential. `"The front office made good moves and got us quality players who have proven themselves," said David Kramer.
The Clash have at least tried to address some of their needs. They brought in two new midfielders, Marcelo Vega and Scott Bower, in the hopes of improving their play in the middle and right wing.
But, Coach Quinn and company did not bring in speedy outside backs or a young central defender. However the team is expected to draft Jamie Clark out of Stanford and make him an understudy to Richard Gough and John Doyle. The Clash also went out and acquired more draft picks in a trade they had with D.C. United.
Probably those picks will be used to bring in another midfielder like Jeff Bilyk out of Clemson, a teammate of new Clasher Scott Bower in college.
Although the Clash have a lot of roster spots yet to fill the team is trying to build a team for the long hall, which is quite evident,
"What we're trying to do," Renato Capobianco said, "is put together a group of several good, young players with a few solid, steady veterans, and let them grow together." Capobianco, who took over for former Clash GM Peter Bridgewater sums up the process quite well. Meaning, in all liklihood, we could see the rising of quite a few more suns before we see the Clash as a contender for the trophy named after our former owner, Alan Rothenberg. But, thats a whole other story for a whole other time.
Now the Metros continue the slue of trades. They have traded American standout goalkeeper Tony Meola and defender Alexi Lalas to the Kansas City Wizards for midfielder Mark Chung and goalkeeper Mike Amman.
The trade comes as a bit of a surprise considering that Meola had just been called up to the U.S. National Team and that Alexi Lalas had only been in New York for a season.
The idea that the single entity MLS, would allow two of its premier players to leave its premier city and go to a team that has the worst attendence is a bit of a bismal idea. Unless the MLS is trying to stack K.C. with notable player to see if attendence will improve. If not my guess is next year it will be the Portland Wizards or something along those lines.
In other news a day after they traded young goalkeeper Andy kirk for a year 2000 College Draft Pick, the San Jose Clash, D.C. United, and the New York/New Jersey Metrostars have completed a three way deal.
In the deal San Jose will get D.C. United's first-round sele ction in the 1999 MLS Supplemental Draft (No. 11 overall) and United's second-round selection in the 1999 MLS College Draft (No. 21 overall). The MetroStars picked up D.C.'s second-round selection in the 2000 MLS College Draft, United's third-round selection in the 2000 MLS College Draft and San Jose's third-round selection in the 2000 MLS College Draft.
These deals come after last week Giovanni Savarese, Raul Diaz Arce, Marcelo Vega, and Scott Garlick were traded.
In other news reports are that D.C. United, and former U.S. National Team Captain, John Harkes has signed a contract overseas in England. Also New England Revolution Captain Mike Burns is on trial with Hearts in Scotland.
For the MLS it has been a very interesting couple of weeks with many player movements, and coming up next is the MLS College draft. Also training camps are starting to open around the league. Expect even more news to becoming out of the league in the next couple of days in regards to P-40 allocations and draft picks be ing traded. Stay tuned folks.
USA Today Report | Report@US-Soccer.com |
Soccer Times Report | Sams Army Player Ratings |
The U.S. National Team was back in action folks.
Once again according to the match report, the U.S. dominated this game against Bolivia. The Clashs' very own Eddie Lewis got good mention in the match reports that I have read, and another player with good mention was Chris Armas.
The tie also marked the return of former U.S. National Team keeper Tony Meola. Meola had a decent performance, but according to viewers was not really tested for the most. Anyway I did not see the match, I only read about it, so I encourage you to check out the above links to draw you’re on conclusion. The U.S. is next set to take on Germany.
The San Jose Clash have acquired Raul Diaz Arce from the New York/New Jersey Metrostars who acquired him earlier in the day.
"I'm excited because of the couple of voids we filled," Clash Coach Brian Quinn said. "They are names people are familiar with. They don't need to be introduced. They're good."
The Clash also received Marcelo Vega, a disgruntled midfielder with a lot of talent but who is very lazy. To acquire RDA the Clash had to give a future allocation(expect to be a big player that would sign to only play in NY), and future considerations. For the full story check out USA Today.
There have been reports that that some league sources are saying that the future consideration is going to be Eric Wynalda upon his return from Leon.
The Clash would not comment on the rumors but Sunil Gulati had a few words "Future consideration' is more likely to be a draft pick of some sort, Eric is possible, sure. Eric is always possible."
Besides this these rumors the saga continues there are problems with RDA. Off the field last year RDA was charged with sexual harassment but later the charges were dropped.
On top of that RDA said through his agent Cory Clemetson that while Diaz Arce is happy about the trade, "he feels he needs to have his contract renegotiated. What he wants is a contract that he believes is fair and reasonable that directly reflects the value he has on the field as a player and as a league spokesperson. He feels that his current contract nowhere near reflects this."
Gulati offered these words, "Raul has a contract to play for two more years in the league. The deal is done." Stay tuned as this Clash saga continues.
Say it ain't so Waldo. Well news is
Wynalda has been given on loan to Mexican First Division Team Leon. Wynalda will not return to the MLS until May of 1999 which means he will miss about 7 games.
Waldo on the other hand appears to be very happy about the move, "I'm excited about competing in games against top-level competition during the winter months..." The move comes as a bit of a surprise considering that in the past Wynalda has had some less than flattering things to say about the Mexican league and about the country of Mexico too.
The Clash meanwhile will receive no compensation nor will they receive any cap help to go out and pursue another player because Wynalda is expected to come back and play for the Clash. "This is a very good opportunity for Eric," said Sunil Gulati.
Gulati finalized the deal for Eric in Mexico personally and well once again it appears as if the Clash have been screwed so to Waldo we bid adieu. (Official Clash Press Release)
In other news the Clash have also announced the hiring of Renato Capobianco as the Director of Soccer and Lynne Meterparel as Business Manager
![]() |
Robert Kraft |
![]() |
Zach Thornton |
Arena Biography@US-Soccer.com | Report@US-Soccer.com |
USA Today Report | Arena Conference Call |
![]() |
Bruce Arena |