- Iíd watch her walk by every day
- Smile, but I didnít know what to say
- I know he beat her, I could hear her anguished screams
- I told my children they were just bad dreams.
- They belonged to the pretty girl upstairs
- Who fell deeply in love
- Then stripped of every ounce of pride
- When she said I do and became a battered bride.
- Once upon a time turned into pure hell
- She didnít have the courage to tell
- I asked her once and she lied
- My help was denied.
- She was found yesterday, hanging in the kitchen with a new rope braid
- And a note saying she would never again be afraid
- He dug her grave long ago
- But her death had been quite slow.
~ Lynn M Kraft
gave me flowers
- I got flowers today. It wasn't my birthday or any other special day.
- We had our first argument last night and he said a lot of cruel things
- that really hurt me. I know that he is sorry and didn't mean to say the
- things he said - because he sent me flowers today.
- I got flowers today. It wasn't our anniversary or any other special day.
- Last night he threw me into a wall and then started to choke me.
- It seemed like a nightmare but you wake up from nightmares to find
- that they aren't real. I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over.
- I know he must be sorry - because he sent me flowers today.
- I got flowers today. And it wasn't Valentines Day or any other special
- day. Last night he beat me and threatened to kill me.
- Makeup and long sleeves didn't hide the cuts and bruises this time.
- I couldn't go to work because I didn't want anyone to know
- But I know he is sorry - because he sent me flowers today.
- I got flowers today and it wasn't Mother's Day or any other special day.
- Last night he beat me again and it was much worse than all the other
- times. If I leave him what will I do? How will I take care of the kids?
- What about money? I'm afraid of him and too scared to leave him!
- But he must be sorry - because he sent me flowers today.
- I got flowers today. Today was a very special day.
- It was the day of my funeral.
- Last night he finally killed me. I was beaten to death.
- If only I would have gathered enough courage and strength to leave him.
- So I got flowers today - for the very last time.
- As I cruise through town in my old black and white
- I think about victims from a domestic fight
- The kicking, the biting, the pounding, they say
- But the memoryís erased come the big court day.
- He loves me she says, as she started to cry
- I know he didn't mean it, when he blackened my eye
- It's all my fault, I deserve it, I do
- Don't look at my back, for it's all black and blue.
- Tomorrow we will wake, and sober he'll be
- And the love that we share will flow soft and free
- For our children we'll make it, never falling apart
- The love that we share, it comes from the heart.
- If it happens again I will leave him you'll see
- But again came and went, now look at me
- First crutches then stitches, a cast here and there
- Now please don't arrest him, for that's truly unfair.
- Then suddenly it happens, the fight if you will
- He's punching and stabbing, for him it's a thrill
- The warmth that I'm feeling, what is it I ask
- Don't talk they tell me, just breathe through this mask.
- When finally I realize, It's my legs I can't feel
- At the hospital he gives me that "I love you spiel"
- The doctor now sighs with a grim look in his eye
- Don't take me my Lord, for I'm to young to die.
- If this sounds too familiar, and really hits home
- Come forward I ask, for youíre not alone.
- ~Deputy Mike Coon