Notes: Several different sources were used to compile these numbers. There were discrepancies between each source. I tried to include only those figures which I thought were well enough defined in the records and made overall sense. Field & Staff numbers were very difficult to determine because I haven't found any documentation other than how many were in the unit and whether they were from within the Regiment or not. The numbers under 'Wounded in Action' include soldiers who were wounded multiple times.
1. Company Officers listed in this column were those not associated with Field & Staff during their tenure in the Company.
2. Men recruited into the regiment were those on the roll that were not on the original roster for three months or three years.
3. Men mustered out with the regiment numbers represent those soldiers which spent the entire three year service with the 7th Ohio- from inception of the three year service to its muster out in Cleveland.
4. Men who died of wounds within a few days of the battle in which they were wounded. It does not attempt to encompass those men who died at a later date from their wounds. I am sure that would also be a rather large but undefinable number.
5. The description of discharge was not always discernable. In total I could identify 451 men who were discharged for either disability from wounds, prisoners paroled and unfit for duty, or men being moved for promotion and/or just relieved from active duty.
6. I could not find documented numbers to reflect this total. This number was given by other sources and I thought it prudent to include since it does represent one of the few negatives of the Regiment.
7. This number represents those men who were documented in their biographies as reentering the service in a unit other than the 5th or 29th Ohio.
These numbers will not fall inline with those published by William F. Fox in his "Regimental Losses in The Civil War" since I used only those numbers that I could verify in the records. As I uncover more documented information I will update these numbers accordingly.
Created and Maintained by Larry Hardman- 1999, Rights Reserved; For Inquires or Information Contact: mailto:LHARDMAN1@neo.rr.com