(Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery)
Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore
Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai. 1994
(Doctor of Medicine- General/Internal Medicine)
College Hospital, Vellore
Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai. 1998
(Doctor of Medicine-Higher Speciality in Neurology)
College Hospital, Vellore
Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai. 2001
§ MD (General Medicine) and DM (Neurology) with over 12
years of experience as healthcare professional, inclusive of over 6 years’ dedicated service as Consultant Neurologist
with reputed hospitals / healthcare foundations.
§ Presently associated with Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
with the merit of playing a pivotal role in the accreditation of the DISEASE-OR-CONDITION SPECIFIC ACCREDITATION by the JOINT COMMISSION INTERNATIONAL for the
ACUTE STROKE PROGRAM existing in the hospital.
§ Noted for education and training of medical students (under-graduate,
graduate and post-graduate) and contributions made towards research including several drug trials as well as intervention
§ Proficient at diagnosing illnesses and prescribing and
administrating appropriate treatment/ medication for various ailments or diseases affecting various parts of the central,
peripheral and autonomic nervous system.
§ Deft in patient counselling and training subordinates
in Protocol-based management of cases.
§ Experienced in routine administration of personnel &
resources. Strong communication skills, analytical ability and capability to perform under stress and strenuous conditions.
Since Sep’04 with Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
as Consultant Neurologist
(The largest Healthcare Group
Apr’01 to Aug’04 with Christian Medical
College Hospital, Vellore as Assistant Professor of Neurology
(The largest multi-specialty hospital in
South India which caters to several states in India including Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, West Bengal, Orissa,
Jharkand, Chattisgarh and Bihar)
Core Functional Strengths
§ Teaching Neurology to undergraduate MBBS students, Physiotherapy
and Nursing students and conducting their examinations which includes theory papers, practicals and viva-voce examinations.
§ Diagnosing, treating and managing
patients with neurological disorders.
§ Treating patients and providing consultancy
service for disorders affecting the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), the peripheral nervous system (peripheral
nerves-cranial nerves included), or the autonomic nervous system (parts of which are located in both central and peripheral
§ Providing treatment for some conditions in the musculoskeletal
§ Pursuing scientific projects and reporting results of
§ Supervising treatment for a wide range of conditions including:
q Headache disorders (like migraine),
Epilepsy & Seizure disorders
q Neurodegenerative disorders (like
Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease)
q Sleep disorders, Depression, Organic
q Infections of the brain and spinal
q Movement disorders like Parkinson’s
disease, Dystonia, Wilson disease, Huntington
disease, Neuroacanthocytosis, etc.
q Autoimmune disorders like G B syndrome,
Multiple Sclerosis, ADEM, etc.
q Disorders of the spinal cord, peripheral
and neuromuscular junctions
q States like coma
q Speech and language disorders
§ Handling of casualty, seriously ill, dangerously ill In-Patients.
§ Experience in History-taking, undertaking routine &
diagnostic investigations & daily ward rounds.
§ Co-ordinating with the emergency team to ensure prompt
response to emergencies.
§ Interfacing across specialities to ensure world class
standards of patient care.
§ Ensuring and monitoring administration of appropriate
drugs to patients.
§ Handling patient counselling sessions.
§ Obtaining informed consent for various procedures and
Teaching, Training & Administration
§ Taking theoretical and practical sessions in Neurology
and medicine subjects.
§ Conceptualising and imparting on-the-job training to new
fellow employees and other staff.
§ Implementing policies that promote & protect health,
safety, security, and the quality of work life, the environment and organisational effectiveness.
§ Planning staffing needs, recruitment & manage personnel
assigned to the facility.
§ Liaising with speciality hospitals/ specialists for better
Selected Accomplishments at:
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
§ Actively contributed to the Acute Stroke Program by writing several articles.
Participated in the successful effort made by Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
to acquire the prestigious DISEASE-OR-CONDITION- SPECIFIC ACCREDITATION by the JOINT COMMISSION INTERNATIONAL for the ACUTE
STROKE PROGRAM existing in the hospital.
§ Serving as mainstay in the creation of the Acute Stroke Program at Apollo
Hospitals, Hyderabad, which involved extensive writing for
various aspects of stroke. These are as follows:
I Creation of the protocol document for the acute stroke program
I Writing algorithms for triaging patients entering the acute stroke program
I In depth research for collecting information on acute stroke management
I Helped in the creation of data entry forms for Emergency Department for
I Successfully created:
ð Step-by-step instruction manual for administration of thrombolytic
ð Instruction manual for administration of Factor VIIa in hemorrhagic stroke patients
ð Check-list for inclusion and exclusion of patients in the acute stroke program
ð Nurse’s chart for monitoring of patients during thrombolysis
ð Document providing instructions for secondary stroke prevention
ð Guidelines for evaluation of patients presenting with first-ever stroke
ð Database of information on various stroke programs worldwide
I Adapted the NIH Stroke Scale form, Barthel Index form and Modified Rankin
Scale for local population.
I Provided instruction manual for management of hypertension during acute
I Wrote the material for patient information regarding stroke
I Helped in the creation of patient information material for stroke rehabilitation,
patient information booklets regarding the role of physiotherapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.
I Made power point presentations during discussions on various aspects
of the stroke program
I Created PDF documents for circulation among the team members and for
posting at the company website
I Provided expert advice in utilizing online resources for all the above
activities, and also in various aspects of stroke management as well as in computers and internet to update the company website
with regard to the newly acquired accreditation
I Developed protocols for patient management in Status Epilepticus and
for acute management of neurologically ill patients in the ICU.
I Streamlined existing systems in acute management of neurologically ill
§ Also made notable contributions towards the accreditation for the Acute
I Educated Junior Doctors in the hospital to various aspects of the stroke
I Participated in the education of nurses and technical support staff
I Made presentations to groups of local physicians to sensitize them to
the acute stroke program
I Conducted CME programs for General Practitioners within city as well
as in districts
I Addressed local civic bodies to sensitize them to the emergency treatment
of acute ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke
§ Recognized for contributions made towards writing articles outside the
Acute Stroke Program, Epilepsy, and others, including:
I Creation of:
ð Document on protocol-based treatment of patients presenting with epilepsy
ð Guidelines for management of status epilepticus
ð Data entry forms for epilepsy cases
ð Large database of our epilepsy patients
I Conducted statistical analysis of epilepsy patients in Excel database
I Prepared papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals regarding stroke,
epilepsy, vitamin b12 deficiency, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, sural nerve biopsy, etc
I Published review articles on Positron emission tomography, memantine,
recombinant factor VII for intracerebral hemorrhage for peer-reviewed journals
§ Held Special lecture sessions for medical, nursing, and physiotherapy
students during the Acute Stroke Program training.
§ Developed hospital-based stroke-treatment protocols in Apollo Hospitals,
§ Participated in the Stroke accreditation program from JCI for Apollo Hospital
Christian Medical College
§ Played a vital role in the establishment of the:
I Neurology department and created the protocols for management of various
neurological disorders in the hospital.
I Electrophysiology lab in the hospital as well as training of the technicians
to run the lab
I Started the acute stroke program in the hospital,
I Co-authored a textbook of electroencephalography
I Actively participated in teaching undergraduates, postgraduate students
Noteworthy Accomplishments Across Assignments
§ Delivered lectures for undergraduates as well as graduate medical students.
§ Closely coordinated the students’ preparation of academic paper
presentation for various conferences and participated in their evaluation for the course material.
§ Helped post-graduate students in their collection of case material for
§ Delivered lectures for physiotherapy (under-graduate) students and to
undergraduate nursing students (at Apollo).
§ Developed and organized neurology department in 2 district multi-specialty
§ Helped in training and supervision of electrophysiology staff in these
§ Helped build reputation as centers of excellence
§ Provided 24-hours round the clock neurology services in these hospitals
§ Extended community-care services through in-house camps
§ Conducted several district-level free neurology camps for community out-reach
§ Improved standards of care of in-patient neurology case-load
§ Provided round-the-clock neurology services for ICU patients
§ Implemented acute stroke thrombolysis program
§ Mobilized resources within hospital to improve response-times for acute
§ Created and implemented treatment protocols for various acute neurological
§ Helped to establish criteria for inclusion and exclusion of patients
into the acute stroke program
§ Instrumental in mobilizing stroke rehabilitation program within hospital
§ Developed the department as a model of care for stroke patients
§ Helped improve standards in the EEG lab and maintain standards in EMG
§ Provided Botox therapy for patients requiring it
In Peer-reviewed Journals
1. V Markandeyulu,
T P Joseph, T Solomon, J Jacob, S Kumar, C Gnanamuthu. Stiff-man syndrome in childhood. J
R Soc Med. 2001; 94: 296-7.
2. E. Joseph, S. Singh, S Kumar. Diffuse symmetrical intracerebral dystrophic deep
gray-white matter junction calcification in extensive arteriovenous fistulae. Neurol India
Sudhir Kumar. Adverse effects due to poor patient understanding of the antiepileptic medication prescriptions. Indian Pediatr 2003; 40: 801-2
Sudhir Kumar. Inappropriate prescription of corticosteroids in respiratory infections. Indian Pediatr 2003;
5. Sudhir Kumar. Recurrent seizures: An unusual manifestation of vitamin B12 deficiency. Neurol
India 2004; 52:122-3.
6. Sudhir Kumar. Overweight and obesity in children. Indian
Pediatr 2004; 41:200.
Sudhir Kumar. Overdiagnosis of cerebral malaria in patients admitted with neurological dysfunction. Q J Med 2003; 96: 688.
8. Sudhir Kumar. Medically unexplained symptoms. J R Soc Med 2003; 96: 422.
Kumar. Representation of South Asian people in randomised trials: study results are interesting but not final word. Br Med J. 2003; 327: 394.
S, Kumar S, Joseph M, Gnanamuthu C, Alexander M. Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis presenting as subdural haematoma. Australasian Radiology 2005;49:101-3.
11. Sudhir Kumar. Management of shock in children with severe P. falciparum malaria. Q J Med 2003; 96: 778.
12. Kumar S, Alexander M, Markandeyulu V, Gnanamuthu C. Guillain-Barre syndrome presenting in the anti-HIV seroconversion period. Neurol India 2003; 51: 559.
13. Sudhir Kumar. Nimesulide: How safe is it? Natl Med J India 2003; 16: 233-4.
14. Sudhir Kumar. Predicting long-term morbidity in Indian patients with ischemic stroke. Neurol India. 2003; 51:285-6.
15. Sudhir Kumar. Steroid-induced myopathy following a single oral dose of prednisolone. Neurol India. 2003; 51: 554-6.
16. Sudhir Kumar. Prophylaxis of depression in older people. Br J Psychiatry. 2003; 183:365.
17. Sudhir Kumar. Management of ocular myasthenia gravis coexisting with thyroid ophthalmopathy. Neurol India. 2003; 51:283-4.
18. Sudhir Kumar. Missed and delayed diagnosis of neonatal meningitis.
Indian Pediatr 2004; 41:959
19. Sudhir Kumar. Distal asymmetric spinal muscular atrophy involving
upper limbs. Indian Pediatr 2003; 40:1211-2
20. Sudhir Kumar. Health of indigenous people- health of aboriginal communities can be improved by innovative methods. Br Med J. 2003; 327: 988
21. Sudhir Kumar. Differentiating traumatic neuritis from poliomyelitis. Natl Med J India. 2003; 16: 232-3.
22. Sudhir Kumar. Vitamin B12 deficiency presenting with an acute reversible extrapyramidal syndrome. Neurol India. 2004; 52:507-9.
23. Sudhir Kumar. Anticonvulsant-hypersensitivity syndrome in a child. Neurol
India. 2003; 51: 427
24. Sudhir Kumar. Prognosis in children with head injury: Inaccuracies in
the analysis. Neurol India 2003; 51: 427-8.
25. Sudhir Kumar. Syncope. Physician's Digest 2003-04
Dec-Jan; Vol. 12( 5): 15-20
26. Sudhir Kumar. Delayed diagnosis of myasthenia gravis due to prior empirical
therapy with corticosteroids. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology 2003; 6:171-2.
27. S Kumar, Hannah V, M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Rapidly progressive dementia
as a presenting feature of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology
28. Sudhir Kumar. Factors leading to underdiagnosis or under-reporting of
AIDS. Trop doct. 2005; 35:124.
29. Sudhir Kumar. Improving clinical course in congenital hypomyelinating
neuropathy. Indian Pediatr 2004; 41:1171.
30. Sudhir Kumar. Artemether in children with severe malaria. Indian
Pediatr 2004; 41:520-1.
31. Sudhir Kumar. Unusual cause of recurrent flaccid paralysis in a child.
Neurol India. 2004; 52:126.
32. Sudhir Kumar. Clinical characteristics of organophosphate-induced delayed
polyneuropathy. Neurol India. 2004; 52:128-9.
33. Sudhir Kumar. Mechanical ventilation in Guillain-Barre syndrome.
Neurol India. 2003; 51:559-60.
34. Sudhir Kumar. Nadroparin in acute ischemic stroke. Neurol
India. 2004; 52:273-4.
35. Sudhir Kumar. Factors affecting functional recovery in ischemic stroke.
Neurol India 2003; 51:561.
36. Kumar S, Alexander M, Joseph M, Gnanamuthu C. Symmetrical peripheral gangrene:
association with adrenaline administration. Critical Care Asia 2004;2(1):19-21
37. Sudhir Kumar. Conversion disorder in childhood. J R Soc Med. 2004; 97:98
38. S Kumar, M. Alexander, C. Gnanamuthu. Recent experience with Rett Syndrome at a tertiary care center. Neurol India 2004; 52:494-5.
39. S Kumar, N. Kesavalu, E. Chandy. Periodic lateralized epileptiform discharges in a child with solitary cysticercus granuloma. Neurol India 2004; 52:523-4.
40. S Kumar, M. Alexander, C. Gnanamuthu. Refractory status epilepticus due
to cerebral venous thrombosis during late pregnancy with successful outcome. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology.
41. Sudhir Kumar. A trial of antiparasitic treatment for cerebral cysticercosis.N
Engl J Med 2004; 350:1686.
42. Sudhir Kumar. Epidemiological study of neurological disorders. J
Indian Med Assoc. 2004; 74:108.
43. Sudhir Kumar. When to start drug therapy in epilepsy. J R Soc Med. 2004; 97:208.
44. Sudhir Kumar. Seizure mimics. Physician's Digest 2004
45. Sudhir Kumar. Withdrawal of ventilatory support in the intensive care unit. Natl Med J India 2004; 17:28-9.
46. Sudhir Kumar. Acute reversible mania as a presenting feature of vitamin
B12 deficiency. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology. 2004; 7:309-11.
47. Sudhir Kumar. Epilepsia partialis continua stopped by insulin. J R Soc Med 2004; 97:332-3.
48. S Kumar, J Vijayan, J Jacob, S Aaron, M Joseph, M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Cervical spine injuries in 64 attempted suicidal hangings in India. Trop Doct 2005;35:198-200.
49. Sudhir Kumar. Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. Indian Pediatr 2004; 41:1050-2.
50. Sudhir Kumar. Paradoxical worsening of neurological status after starting
d-penicillamine therapy in a patient with Wilson's disease. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology 2004;
51. Sudhir Kumar. Why do doctors make errors? Natl Med J India 2004; 17(1):53-4.
52. Sudhir Kumar. Factors precipitating breakthrough seizures in well-controlled epilepsy. Indian Pediatr 2005; 42:182-3.
53. Sudhir Kumar. Calvarial thickening and cerebellar atrophy following chronic
phenytoin usage. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology 2004; 7:403.
54. Sudhir Kumar. A patient's opinion is often valuable. J Postgrad Med 2004; 50:216.
55. Sudhir Kumar. Memantine:Pharmacological properties and clinical uses. Neurol India 2004:52:307-9.
56. Kumar S, Kumar PR. Mimetic facial paresis. Annals of Indian
Academy of Neurology. 2004; 7:405.
57. Sudhir Kumar. Severe autonomic dysfunction as a presenting feature of Wilson's disease. J Postgrad Med 2005; 51:75-6.
58. Kumar S, Kumar PR. Skin branding. J Postgrad Med 2004; 50:204.
59. Sudhir Kumar. Wilson's disease presenting as status epilepticus. Indian Pediatr. 2005; 42:492-3.
60. Sudhir Kumar. Tongue biting and epilepsy. Indian Pediatr 2005; 42:296.
61. S Kumar, M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu.
plasmapheresis: an effective and safe therapeutic procedure in acute neurological illnesses. Annals of Indian
Academy of Neurology 2004; 7:439-40.
62. Sudhir Kumar.
Bisphosphonate therapy for polyostotic fibrous dysplasia. Indian Pediatr. 2004; 41:1069-70.
63. S Kumar,
M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Heterogeneity in clinical presentation of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Neurol India. 2004;52:518-9.
64. S Kumar,
S Aaron. Internuclear ophthalmoplegia as the sole presenting symptom of inflammatory demyelinating lesion of the brainstem. Neurol India 2004; 52:517-8.
65. Sudhir Kumar.
Rheumatological manifestations of leprosy. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology.
66. Sudhir Kumar.
Dermatological findings in chronic alcoholics. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology.
67. S Kumar,
Rashmi. Psychosomatic illness among patients attending medical outpatient department. J Indian Med Assoc.
68. Sudhir Kumar.
Painful mononeuritis multiplex in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Indian Pediatr 2005; 42:621-2.
69. S Kumar,
S Nair, M Alexander. Carcinomatous meningitis occurring prior to the diagnosis of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervix. J Postgrad Med. 2004;50:311-2.
70. S Kumar,
P Ravi Kumar. Multi-segmental Neurofibromatosis. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2004; 70:360-2.
71. Sudhir Kumar.
Differentiating paralytic rabies from post antirabies vaccine polyradiculoneuropathy. Neurol India 2004; 52:270.
72. Sudhir Kumar,
Rashmi. Branding: A harmful practice. Indian Pediatr 2005;42:721.
73. Sudhir Kumar.
Oral glucose tolerance test in patients with unexplained peripheral neuropathy. Natl Med J India 2004; 17:206.
74. Sudhir Kumar.
Nimodipine in severe head injury. Neurol India 2004;52:392-3
75. Sudhir Kumar.
Valproate-induced bleeding: report of two cases and review of literature. Indian Pediatr 2005; 42:833-4.
76. Sudhir Kumar.
Neurofibromatosis type 1 manifesting with Tourette syndrome. Neurol India 2005;53:361-2.
77. Sudhir Kumar.
Punding in Parkinson's disease related to high-dose levodopa therapy. Neurol India 2005;53:362.
78. Sudhir Kumar.
Communications skills: is there a need for training? Natl Med J India 2004; 17:280-1.
79. Sudhir Kumar.
Pituitary in psychosis. Br J Psychiatry 2004; 185:437-8.
80. Kumar S,
Jacob J. Variablity in the extent of sensory deficit after sural nerve biopsy. Neurol India 2004; 52:436-8.
81. Sudhir Kumar.
Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis. Thyroid Research & Practice 2005; 2: 12-8.
82. Sudhir Kumar.
Calcified vertebral artery and dense basilar artery sign in a patient with basilar territory infarction. Neurol India 2005;53:125.
83. Aaron S,
Kumar S, Vijayan J, Jacob J, Alexander M, Gnanamuthu C. Clinical and laboratory features and response to treatment in patients presenting with vitamin B12 deficiency-related
neurological syndromes. Neurol India 2005;53:55-8.
84. Kumar S.
An uncommon cause of shoulder pain in acute ischaemic stroke. J Indian Med Assoc 2004; 102:594-6.
85. Kumar S,
Prabhakar S. Guillain-Barre syndrome occurring in the course of dengue fever. Neurol India 2005;53:250-1.
86. Datta SS,
Premkumar TS, Chandy S, Kumar S, Kirubakaran C, Gnanamuthu C, Cherian A. Behaviour problems in children and adolescents
with seizure disorder: associations and risk factors. Seizure:European Journal of Epilepsy 2005;14:190-7.
R, Kumar S, Prabhakar S. ATL in refractory epilepsy with normal MRI-volumetric criteria? Epilepsia 2005; 46:600.
88. Kumar S,
Chandy E. Asymmetric depression of amplitude in electroencephalography leading to a diagnosis of ipsilateral
cerebral tumor. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology 2005;8:33-5.
89. S Kumar,
G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Management of myasthenic crisis. Neurol India 2005;53:241.
90. S Kumar.
Preventive therapy of migraine. Neurol India 2005;53:243.
91. S Kumar,
G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Positron emission tomography in neurological diseases. Neurol India 2005;53:149-55.
92. S Kumar.
Chronic daily headaches. Physicians Digest 2005;14(2):22-30.
93. S Kumar.
Recombinant activated Factor VII for acute intracerebral hemorrhage. Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine 2005;9:11-13.
94. S Kumar,
P Ravi Kumar, N Manasseh. Massive pneumocephalus and meningitis following spine instrumentation. Annals
of Indian Academy of Neurology 2005;8:55-7.
95. S Kumar.
Guillain-Barre syndrome in leprosy patients. Indian J Lepr. 2005;77:162-8.
96. S Kumar.
Cranial nerve involvement in leprosy. Indian J Lepr. 2005;77:177-8.
97. S Kumar,
Badrinath HR. Early recombinant factor VIIa therapy in acute intracerebral hemorrhage: Promising approach. Neurol India 2006;54:24-7.
98. S Kumar.
Plasmapheresis in acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Indian Pediatr 2006;43:77-8.
99. SS Datta,
S Kumar. Hypomania as an aura in migraine: case report. Neurol India 2006;54:205-6.
100. S Kumar,
G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Dense basilar artery sign preceding basilar artery territory infarction. Annals
of Ind Acad Neurol 2005;8:321-2.
101. SS Datta,
S Kumar. Clozapine-responsive cluster headache. Neurol India 2006;54:200-1.
102. SS Datta,
R Jacob, S Kumar, S Jeyabalan. A case of subacute sclerosing panencephalitis presenting as depression. Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2006; 18: 55-7.
103. SS Datta, TS Premkumar, S Fielding, S Chandy, S Kumar, JM Eagles, A Cherian. Impact of pediatric
epilepsy on Indian families. Epilepsy and Behavior. 2006;9:145-51.
104. S Kumar, M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Cranial nerve involvement in patients with leprous neuropathy. Neurol India 2006;54:283-5.
105. S Kumar. Expansion of traumatic intracerebral hemorrhage: treatment implications with recombinant Factor VIIa. Neurol India 2007;55:81.
106. S Kumar. Basilar artery thrombosis. Annals Ind Acad Neurol 2007;10;61-2
107. S Kumar. Thrombolysis with tissue plasminogen activator: Protocol violation is not an option. Neurol India 2007;55:174.
108. S Kumar, G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Isolated complete third nerve palsy due to midbrain hemorrhage: clinico-radiological correlation. Annals Ind Acad Neurol 2007;10:187-8.
109. S Kumar, G Sandhya, R Reddy, G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Idiopathic transverse myelitis: corticosteroids,
plasma exchange, or cyclophosphamide? Neurology 2008; 70:160.
110. S Kumar. Pseudoxanthoma elasticum and cerebral ischemic stroke. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2007; 73: 433-4.
111. G Rajshekher, S Kumar, S Prabhakar. Reversible electrophysiological abnormalities in hypokalemic periodic
paralysis. Indian Pediatrics 2008;45:54-5.
112. S Kumar, G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Isolated bilateral ptosis as the presentation of midbrain tuberculoma.
Neurol India 2008; 56:212-3.
113. S Kumar, G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors in acute ischemic stroke.
Neurol India 2008;56:399-404.
114. S Kumar, R Reddy, S Prabhakar. Contralateral diaphragmatic palsy in acute stroke: An interesting observation.
Ind J Crit Care Med 2009; 13:28-30.
115. S kumar, G Rajshekher, C R Reddy, J Venkateswarlu, S Prabhakar. Intra-sinus thrombolysis in cerebral
venous sinus thrombosis: single center experience in 19 cases. Neurol India 2010;58:225-9.
116. R Lath, S Kumar, R Reddy, G R Boola, A Ray, S Prabhakar,
A Ranjan. Decompressive surgery for severe cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. Neurol India 2010;58:392-7.
117. S Bhuvaneshwari, Sujith Chandy, Sudhir Kumar. A
prospective, double-blinded, crossover study to determine the equivalence of the serum levels and the peak level toxicity
of diphenylhydantoin (Eption ER). Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012;6:783-786.
118. Varghese GM, Mathew A, Kumar Sudhir,
Abraham OC, Trowbridge P, Mathai E. Differential diagnosis of scrub typhus meningitis from bacterial meningitis using
clinical and laboratory features. Neurol India 2013;61:17-20
119. Sudhir Kumar, Chenna Rajesh Reddy, Subhashini Prabhakar.
Striatal toe. Ann Ind Acad Neurol. 2013;16:304-5
120. S Bhuvaneshwari, Sujith Chandy, Sudhir Kumar. Equivalence of the steady state concentrations
of two dosage regimens of phenytoin using computer optimisation programme OPT6. Internaitonal Journal of Pharmaceuticals
and Biological Archives. 2013;4:899-902.
Books, Chapters, monographs
1. Elizabeth Chandy, Sudhir Kumar. Atlas of Electroencephalography in Adult
& Child. Mattethra Group Publications, Cochin, India, 2004.
2. Sudhir Kumar. Cerebrovascular diseases in the elderly. In
Progressive General Practice- Geriatrics issue. Ed, Alka Ganesh. CME series of Christian Medical College, Vellore,
3. Soumitra S. Datta, Sudhir Kumar, K.S. Jacob. Clinical approach to dementia.
In Textbook of Psychiatry, Bangalore (In press).
4. Sudhir Kumar. Muscular dystrophies in children and adolescents.
In Update in Pediatrics Volume 1, 1st edition, Mathur & Mathur Eds, 2005.
5. Sudhir Kumar. Neonatal Meningitis. In Textbook of Neonatal Emergencies.
Ed Prof Suraj Gupte, Peepee Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 2006.
6. Sudhir Kumar. Neurocysticercosis. In Recent Advances in Pediatrics.
Ed Prof Suraj Gupte (in press)
7. Sudhir Kumar. Febrile seizures. In Recent Advances in Pediatrics.
Ed Prof Suraj Gupte (In press).
8. Sudhir Kumar. Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. In Update in
Pediatrics. Editors Mathur and Mathur (In press).
9. Sudhir Kumar. Endocrine and metabolic myopathies in childhood and adolescence.
In Update in Pediatrics, Eds Mathur and Mathur (In press)
Magazines and Newspapers
1. Sudhir Kumar. Neurology. Frontline 2004 July 3-16;21(14):123.
2. Sudhir Kumar. AIDS. Frontline 2004 July 17-30; 21(15):126.
3. Sudhir Kumar. What is muscular dystrophy. The Times of India. dated
4. Sudhir Kumar. When the immune system turns on you. The Deccan Chronicle dated 5th
5. Sudhir Kumar. Quota trouble. Frontline 2005 June 18-July 1; 22(13).
6. Sudhir Kumar. Epilepsy. Frontline 2005 November 19-Dec 2; 22(24).
Online Publications in Journals
1. Sudhir Kumar. Urgent need for making decisive
legislations banning smoking. Letter to the editor. British Medical Journal. Published online on
May 9, 2003.( http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/326/7396/962)
2. Sudhir Kumar. Is oral vitamin B12 a perfect replacement for its parenteral form in all clinical situations? Letter to the editor. Published online
in Postgraduate Medical Journal on June 5, 2003. (http://pmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/79/930/218)
Kumar. Lithium is still the first-line drug for prophylaxis of mood disorders.
Letter to the editor. British Medical Journal. Published online on May 9, 2003.(http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/326/7396/960)
4. Sudhir Kumar. Serotonergic
drugs associated with polyuria: how strong is the association? Letter to editor. Published online in The British Journal of Psychiatry on
19 May, 2003. (http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/eletters/182/4/319)
5. Sudhir Kumar. Over-reporting of asthma among pseudoseizure patients may be a chance finding. Published online in JNNP on June 5,
supplementation for unexplained fatigue in non-anaemic women. Published online in BMJ on 25 May, 2003.(http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/326/7399/1124#32617)
Kumar, Mathew Alexander, Chandran Gnanamuthu. Adequate treatment of neurocysticercosis. Published online in Archives of disease in childhood (ACD)
on 16 June 2003(http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/archdischild;88/6/471)
Kumar, Mathew Alexander, Chandran Gnanamuthu. Risk of recurrent cerebral and venous sinus thrombosis during subsequent pregnancy and puerperium.
online in JNNP on June 16, 2003 (http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/74/6/814)
9. Sudhir Kumar. Intravenous mannitol
should not be routinely recommended for cerebral malaria. Published online in Arch. dis. child. on 25.06.2003. (http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/archdischild;88/7/640)
10. Sudhir Kumar. Reversible thalidomide neuropathy. Published online in Postgraduate medical journal on 23 May, 2003.(http://pmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/79/929/127)
Kumar, Mathew Alexander, Chandran Gnanamuthu. Efficacy of azathioprine in preventing relapses in multiple sclerosis. Published online in Neurology on 1
July 2003. (http://www.neurology.org/cgi/eletters/60/11/1849)
12. Sudhir Kumar. Coprescription of heroin and methadone for treatment resistant heroin addicts.
Published online in BMJ on 12 August, 2003 (http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/327/7410/310)
13. Sudhir Kumar. Impulsivity and suicide risk. Published online in BJP on August 26,
14. Sudhir Kumar. Optimal dose of intravenous immunoglobulins in Guillain-Barre syndrome
Published in ADC online on 3 September, 2003 (http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/archdischild;88/9/836-b)
15. Sudhir Kumar, Soumitra S. Datta. Dementia occurring in patients with schizophrenia is not
of Alzheimer's type. Published in BJP on September 9, 2003.
16. Sudhir Kumar. Preventive strategies of pre-eclampsia. Published online in British
Medical Journal on September 14, 2003. (http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/327/7415/604#36514)
17. Sudhir Kumar. Cover image has been shown upside down. Published online in BMJ on
September 21, 2003. (http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/327/7416/646)
18. Sudhir Kumar. Stress and MS: cause-effect shown but dose-effect and mechanisms need further
studies. Published online in BMJ on September 22, 2003. (http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/327/7416/646)
19. Sudhir Kumar. Childhood obesity and cancer. Archives of disease in childhood, published
on 6 October, 2003 (http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/archdischild;88/9/748)
20. Sudhir Kumar. Psychiatric disorders are characterized by abnormal brain imaging and neurological examination. Published online in British Journal
of Psychiatry on 27 May, 2003.
21. Sudhir Kumar, Rashmi. Popularity of intramuscular injections in developing countries. Published
online in BMJ on 10 November, 2003 (http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/327/7423/1075)
22. Sudhir Kumar. Precautions with buccal/nasal midazolam. Published in ADC
online on 23 January, 2004. (http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/archdischild;89/1/50)
23. Sudhir Kumar. Corticosteroids in children with meningococcal meningitis. Published
in ADC online on 23 January, 2004. (http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/archdischild;89/1/82)
24. Sudhir Kumar. Reducing stigma in psychiatry. Published in BJP online on
February 1, 2004. (http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/eletters/184/2/176)
25. Sudhir Kumar, Rashmi. Use of tobacco products as dentifrice. Published in BMJ on
15 February, 2004 (http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/328/7435/323)
26. Sudhir Kumar. Obvious contrasting health patterns between the rich and poor. BMJ,
27. Sudhir Kumar. Is the example of Kerala a perfect one? Published in BMJ on 6 Apr
28. Sudhir Kumar, Rashmi. Tuberculosis should also be considered in patients with hip or knee
pain. Published in BMJ on 3 May, 2004.
29. Sudhir Kumar. Chronic subdural haematoma should be considered with hypodense lesions on computerised
tomography. Published online in Ann Rheum Dis on 24 June 2004. (http://ard.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/63/5/603)
30. S Kumar, Sandhya, G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Headache as the sole manifestation of cerebral
venous thrombosis. Published online in JNNP on August 9 2005. (http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/76/8/1084)
Among the Panel of Peer Reviewers
1. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry
3. Neurology India
4. Indian Journal of Pharmacology
5. Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine
6. British Medical Journal Learning
7. European Journal of Pediatric Neurology
8. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology
9. Archives of Indian Psychiatry
10. BMC Neurology
11. Saudi Medical Journal
12. BMJ Case Reports
On the Editorial Board
1. Neurology India
2. Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine (Guest Editor for Special issue
on Neuro Critical Care)
PAPERS PRESENTED IN NATIONAL CONFERENCES:
1. S Kumar, V Markandeyulu, M Alexander, TP Joseph, T Solomon. Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system- a retrospective study. Presented
in Golden Jubilee Annual Conference of the Neurological Society
of India, held at Mumbai in December, 2001.
2. S Murali S, M Alexander, TP Joseph, T Solomon, S Kumar, et al. Diagnosis of Multifocal Motor Neuropathy among patients with pure lower motor
neuron syndromes. Presented
in Golden Jubilee Annual Conference of the Neurological Society of India, held at Mumbai in December, 2001.
3. Sudhir Kumar. A case of encephalopathy due to hyperammonemia (Urea Cycle
at Golden Jubilee meeting of MD (Medicine) Alumni, held at CMCH, Vellore during August 2001.
4. S Kumar, V. Markandeyulu, M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Comparison of clinical features of dementia of
varied etiology. Presented at National conference of IAN, 2002 at Lucknow.
J.Vijayan, C Gnanamuthu, M Joseph, R Pillai, S Kumar, et al. Hypoxic encephalopathy due
to attempted hanging. The CMC experience. Presented
at IAN National Conference 2002, at Lucknow.
6. C Gnanamuthu, S Kumar,
Acute neurological syndromes with large
white matter lesions of the central nervous system: What are they?
at National Conference of the IAN at Lucknow, in October, 2002.
7. H Vinolia, S Kumar,
M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu.
A descriptive study
comparing neuropsychological attributes of patients admitted with diagnosis of degenerative or non-degenerative brain diseases
to a tertiary care hospital.
Presented at Second
International Conference of Neurology, Language and Cognition, held at Cochin in December 2002.
8. S Kumar,
M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Dementia due to vitamin B12
deficiency: the Vellore experience. Presented at the
International workshop on dementia and cognition, organised by the Neurosciences India Group (NSIG), at Chennai
in February, 2003.
9. H Vinolia, S Kumar,
et al. MRI features of patients with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and dementia. Presented at the International workshop on dementia and cognition, organised by the NSIG, at Chennai
in February, 2003.
10. S Kumar, KP Ravi, M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Quality of life in women
with epilepsy. Presented at 52nd Annual Conference of NSI at Chandigarh in December 2003 (Chandigarh).
11. S Aaron, J Jacob, J Vijayan, S Kumar, et al. Study on neurological
manifestations of vitamin B12 deficiency. Presented at 52nd Annual Conference of NSI, 2003.
12. J Vijayan, S Aaron, J Jacob, S Kumar, et al. Electrophysiological
study of patients presenting with Guillain Barre syndrome over a period of one year. Presented at 52nd Annual
Conference of NSI, 2003.
13. S Kumar, M Alexander, C Gnanamuthu. Clinical features and outcome
of cerebral venous thrombosis. Annual meeting of Indian Academy of Neurology 2004 (Nagpur).
14. S Aaron, S Kumar, et al. Opto-chiasmatic arachnoiditis in tuberculous
meningitis. Annual meeting of IAN 2004 (Nagpur).
15. S Kumar, G rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Recombinant Factor VIIa therapy
in acute intracerebral hemorrhage. Annual meeting of IAN 2005 (Jaipur)
16. G Rajshekher, S Kumar, M Joshi, S Prabhakar. Thrombolysis with tissue plasminogen
activator in a tertiary care hospital in South India. Joint World Congress on Stroke, Capetown, 2006
(Abstract published in Int J Stroke, 1(Suppl 1); 64:2006
17. M Joshi, S Kumar. Acute hemorrhagic stroke inclusion in acute stroke program
and use of activated Factor VII (Novoseven):Experience in India. Society of Academic Emergency Medicine meeting 2006,
18. S Kumar, G Rajshekher, S Prabhakar. Recombinant factor VIIa in acute intracerebral
hemorrhage: Experience of 15 cases from a single center. Presented as an oral presentation at Berlin, Germany
during the first World congress on Controversies in Neurology, held from Sep 6-9, 2007.
19. Decompressive craniectomy in acute malignant hemispheric infarcts. AOCN/IAN conference, New
CLINICAL TRIALS & RESEARCH
§ Successfully completed a dissertation titled ‘Spectrum of medical
illnesses in geriatric population :a hospital-based study, at Christian Medical College Hospital,
Vellore, in March 1998, under the guidance of Dr. Alka Ganesh
§ Participated in the following clinical drug trials as a co-investigator,
involved in screening, history taking, clinical examination, taking informed consent, reviewing lab data, advising about drugs,
follow up visits, noting AEs and SAEs:
Women with epilepsy
Early Parkinson’s disease
11-Dec 2006; Ongoing
Late Parkinson’s disease
9-Feb 2006; Ongoing
Post herpetic Neuralgia
Pfizer India Ltd
23-Feb 2007; ongoing
Refractory Partial Epilepsy
14-Sep-06 to 09-Aug-2007
Johnson & Johnson
06-Feb-2007 to 18-June-2007
1. Fipamezole in Parkinson's disease. Sponsored
by Santhera Pharma, Switzerland (2007-08)
2. hCG and Erythropoietin in acute ischemic stroke. Sponsored
by Stem Cell Therapeutics Corp., Canada (2008-09)
Member of Ethics Committee
Serving as a member of Ethics Committee of Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad since
1. Good clinical practice guidelines: 2001 (Pfizer); 2006 (Quintiles)
2. UPDRS scoring in Parkinson’s disease: 2006 (Quintiles)
NIHSS stroke scale- online certification
1) Workshop on Good
Clinical Practice (GCP) conducted by CSSM, Pfizer limited, at Jaipur (India), on September
2) EEG workshop, held at PGI, Chandigarh, December 2003.
3) EMG and Intraoperative monitoring workshop, held at CMC, Vellore, Feb 2004.
4) Workshop on movement disorders and Botulinum toxins in Neurology, held at SRMC & RI, Chennai, March 2004.
5) International Neuropediatric symposium at Chennai in June 2004.
LIST OF AWARDS:
following were awarded during MBBS training at CMC Hospital, Vellore.
1)Second Certificate of Honour in
2)First Certificate of Honour in
3)First Certificate of Honour in
4)First Certificate of Honour in Pathology
5) First Certificate of Honour in Microbiology
6) First Rank in Second MBBS.
7)Second Certificate of Honour in
8) Second Certificate of Honour in ENT
9) First Certificate of Honour in Community Medicine
10) Second Certificate of Honour in Surgery
11) Third Rank in Final MBBS.
12) J.C.David Memorial Prize and
Gold Medal in Pharmacology
13) Microbiology Prize for First
Rank in Internal Assessment
14) Anil George Memorial Prize
15) Le Roy Allen Prize in Community Medicine
16) P. Kutumbiah Prize in Clinical Medicine
17) Dr. Paul W. Brand Gold Medal
18) Dr. P. Koshy Prize in Medicine
Hospitals, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad
PG Senior Registrar
TAKEN AS PART OF CME FOR GENERAL PRACTITIONERS:
1) 1. Evaluation and management of patients with epilepsy, organized by Indian Medical
Association, Tirupattur Branch at Tirupattur, Tamil Nadu on 28.10.2001.
2. Recent advances in the management of epilepsy, organized by Nestle India
at Vellore, Tamil Nadu on 26.05.2002.
3. Recent advances in the management of epilepsy, organized by Nestle India
at Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu on 09.06.2002.
4. Conducted a CME programme at Christian Fellowship Hospital, Oddanchatram,
Tamil Nadu, India in August 2002 covering various topics in Clinical Neurology.
5. Lecture on "Diagnosis and treatment of peripheral
neuropathy" at Pondicherry in November, 2003, organized by Wockhardt- Merind India Ltd.
6. Lecture on "Evidence based
medicine in migraine prevention at Tirupati in March 2005, organised by Johnson & Johnson.
OF NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
1. Full member
(KNP-054) of the Neurological Society of India (NSI).
member (LM-270) of the Indian Academy of Neurology (IAN)
3. International Headache Society (IHS)
4. World Stroke Organization (WSO)
5. American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA)