Highlands Ranch High School - Mr. Sedivy
Calvinism had a different name in different parts of the world - there was no central church. In England, Puritans wanted to "purify" the church of its remaining Catholic elements. Scotland had Presbyterians, Dutch had the Dutch Reform, France had Huguenots, and Germany had the Reform Church.
At the instigation of the Catholic queen mother, Catherine de' Medici, Huguenots throughout France were slaughtered in an unprecedented massacre that began in Paris on Saint Bartholomew's Day, August 24, 1572. The helpless townspeople died in agonized torment as royal soldiers obey their orders with a vengeance.
Summary of the Protestant Reformation
1. An era of bitter and often violent conflict.
2. Catholics fought Protestants.
3. Protestants fought Protestants.
4. Helped to promote secularism as people got sick of all the fighting.
5. Ended religious unity of Europe forever.
6. Strengthened the state at the expense of the church.
7. The Pope lost power.
8. The Bible was translated into vernacular languages, so more people could read. This led to an increase in education.
Historical Periods of
| Mesopotamia & Phoenicians |
Highlands Ranch High School 9375 South Cresthill Lane Highlands Ranch, Colorado 80126 303-471-7000
Mr. Sedivy's History Classes
| Colorado History | American Government | Modern European History | Advanced Placement European History | Rise of England | World History |
| Home | Back to top of page | Site Contents |