Christian Homeschooler's Association of South Eastern South Carolina
PO Box 58
Ruffin, SC 29475

CHASE SC Site Index

days to June 30th, 2004, the school year end for CHASE SC.

divider bar

All homeschoolers, and home schools should consult their attorney, or HSLDA for all legal matters.

divider bar

Explanation of the Third Option Law, 59-65-47

divider bar

Black words - SC Section 59-65-47
Green words - Explanation of 59-65-47

divider bar

Effective June 20, 1996, under Title 59, Chapter 65 of the 1976 Code the following section was added:

Section 59-65-47.

In lieu of the requirements of Section 59-65-40 or Section 59-65-45,
If you homeschool under 59-65-47 the requirements of Section 59-65-40 or Section 59-65-45 do not apply to you.

parents or guardians may teach their children at home
This shows us who can homeschool their children at home.

if the instruction is conducted under the auspices of an association for homeschools
In order to homeschool under 59-64-47 you must homeschool under an association for homeschools.

which has no fewer than fifty members and meets the requirements of this section.
The association must have a minimum of 50 members, the law does not specify how these members are counted. The association must meet all requirements of this section.

Bona fide membership and continuing compliance with the academic standard of the association
The homeschooler must be a member that maintains compliance of the academic standards of their association.

exempts the home school from the further requirements of Section 59-65-40 or Section 59-65-45.
Section 59-65-40 nor Section 59-65-45 apply to you.

The State Department of Education shall conduct annually a review of the association standards to insure that requirements of the association, at a minimum, include:
The State Dept. of Ed. reviews all association standards yearly to make sure they are requiring the minimums listed below.

(a) A parent must hold at least a high school diploma or the equivalent general educational development (GED) certificate;
The parent MUST have at least a high school diploma, or a GED.

(b) the instructional year is at least one hundred eighty days;
The school year is set for an 180 day minimal.

(c) the curriculum includes, but is not limited to,
You must teach at least the subjects listed, but you are not limited to teaching just those subjects.

the basic instructional areas of reading, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies,
The subjects required for all students are reading, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies.

and in grades seven through twelve, composition and literature; and
Those students in 7th to 12th grades are also required to include composition and literature in their curriculum.

(d) educational records shall be maintained by the parent-teacher and include:
All educational records shall be kept by the parent (the teacher). These records include those listed below.

(1) a plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and activities in which the student and parent-teacher engage;
The key word here is or. You are not required to keep a plan book, diary and other record; however, you are required to keep one of them. You are to indicate subjects taught, and the activities in which the student and parent-teacher engage.

(2) a portfolio of samples of the student's academic work; and
You do not need to keep all of the student's work. You must keep samples, a small part that is representative of the whole.

(3) a semi-annual progress report including attendance records and individualized documentation of the student's academic progress in each of the basic instructional areas specified in item (c) above.
You must complete a semi-annual progress report, you must include a record of attendance. You must also include documentation of the student's progress in the required curriculum subjects listed above in item c.

By January thirtieth of each year, all associations shall report the number and grade level of children home schooled through the association to the children's respective school districts.
Each association has until January 30th of each year to report how many students in each grade homeschool with their association to the school district that the children reside in.

Key points are:

1) If you homeschool under Section 59-65-47, neither Section 59-65-40 nor Section 59-65-45 apply to you.

2) Accountability for homeschoolers under 59-65-47 requires that associations must require the complete requirements of 59-65-47.

3) Parents are accountable for maintaining educational records under 59-65-47.

4) If your home school elects to use the public school credit system for high school, you the parent-teacher are still required to teach the basic instructional areas of reading, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies, and in grades seven through twelve, composition and literature each year.

divider bar

~ CHASE SC Home ~

Make sure to stop by our home page for lots of other great home school resources. Standardized Testing, Special Needs Homeschooling, Learning Modalities & Styles, Timeline Information, Portfolios, Questions About Diplomas, GED, and Transcripts are just a few of the resources waiting for you at our home page.

divider bar

~ About CHASE SC... ~ The Law ~ Explanation of the Third Option Law, 59-65-47 ~

~ CHASE SC Lifetime Membership Application ~ CHASE SC Yearly Compliance & Update Form ~

~ SC Support Groups ~ SC Accountability Associations ~ Q & A About CHASE SC ~

divider bar

~ Free Forms For Home Schools ~

You don't want to miss out on this great resource, there's nearly 200 Free Forms for your homeschool!

Be Prepared, Evaluations, Assessments, Report Cards, Planners, Goal Sheets, Sample Letters, Transcripts, High School Course Credit & Syllabus, Diplomas, Journals, Logs, Checklists, Traveling Through Time Timelines, Other Helps for the Homeschool (Reading, Writing, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies), Postcards, and Getting Organized in Your Home are the categories you can choose from.

Q. Can you provide other forms on your web site?
As time permits, we would be happy to serve you with as many forms as we can. Please email us and let us know what you'd like to see,

divider bar

~ Webmaster ~

Please contact our webmaster if you find any links that are not working, or if you encounter any difficulties maneuvering at the CHASE SC site.

divider bar

CHASE SC gives permission to all homeschooling support groups and individual homeschoolers (for personal use with homeschooling records only) to copy any CHASE SC information in its entirety if 1) copies are not sold at a profit (a reasonable charge for copying is acceptable), and 2) if you note on all copies that you 'Reprinted with the permission of CHASE SC, PO Box 58, Ruffin, SC 29475, Email address:, Web Site:' All rights are retained by CHASE SC for CHASE SC documents, information, and forms available throughout the CHASE SC web site.

All others may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information obtained from this site without the explicit written permission of CHASE SC! You may not send, or cause to be sent, any part or anything posted on this site without the explicit written permission of CHASE SC!