Highlands Ranch High School - Mr. Sedivy
- Colorado History -
Central Colorado Mining Camps
Colorado towns and cities almost beyond number had their beginnings as mining camps. The ten mining camps mentioned in this quiz are to be found in the center of the state. All may be visited via main road today. Some are primarily tourist centers today though a few are still involved in the industry which gave them their beginnings - mining.
1. West of highway 91 between Leadville and Frisco is the mining camp of _ _ _ _ _ , one of the nine camps which at one time clustered in the area.
2. North of Fairplay in highway 9 is the camp of _ _ _ _ which boomed during the great silver activity of 1879-1880.
3. North of highway 285 between Fairplay and Jefferson is the railroad town of _ _ _ _ whose mining claims were for coal rather than gold or silver.
4. At the junction of highway 9 and 285 is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , a camp whose name was proposed to indicate all miners would be treated fairly and equally.
5. Near the crest of Fremont Pass on highway 91 is the world’s greatest molydenum deposit. It is here the camp called _ _ _ _ _ _ is located.
6. Just south of the junction of highways 24 and 91 is the mining camp of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , one of the state’s greatest boom towns.
7. On highway 9 between Dillon and Fairplay is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , a mining camp once famous for the gigantic dredges which operated in the area.
8. Just southwest of Dillon on highway 6 is _ _ _ _ _ _ , a mining camp probably named for San Francisco.
9. Clinging to the side of Battle Mountain on highway 24 is the old mining camp of _ _ _ _ _ _ where production continued long after the original boom was over.
10. Second to Leadville in silver production is _ _ _ _ _ on highway 82. Its present day reputation as "Ski Town, USA" has overshadowed its previous mining fame.
- Colorado History In Depth
The Cheyenne Social Club
Colorado's Role in the US Civil
Cripple Creek District Labor Strikes
More Colorado History
Colorado History Research Activity
Highlands Ranch High School 9375 South Cresthill Lane Highlands Ranch, Colorado 80126 303-471-7000
Mr. Sedivy's History Classes
| Colorado History | American Government | Advanced Placement Modern European History | Rise of Nation State England | World History |
| Home | Back to the top of page | Site Contents |